Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Rothral  (Read 5947 times)

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rothral
« on: December 11, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »

From the lands of Slozgo Sagus, the Universes of Dawning

Who are we and why should you care?  We are seven dwarves cursed to start a penal colony(in reality, the nobility expects it to be more of a death colony).  Basically, it’s a PR move.  Rather than condemning us, we are giving a chance to redeem ourselves at an outpost considered unworthy of any true dwarf – and if we die, well, we had it coming anyway, didn’t we?  

*Note:  I tried to do this hermit style, but any time I use adjuststart on this version it hangs for a while and I get the dreaded DF must close Microsoft message.  It won’t really affect the story substantially anyway*

Now this is not exactly like most ‘miserable condition’ fortresses you’ll see around here – most of them are glacier-type maps.  But in thinking about what would the most hideous place you could send a dwarf, the worst punishment – it would be a place with no cliffs.  No obvious valuable resources of any kind.  A place where you could disappear and no-one would notice.  

I give you … well, we’ll get to that.  Took a number of world generations to get a suitably hideous starting point.

In any event, here’s the location of the Mountainhomes in Slozgo Sagus:  The Superior Tower, a small mountain range in the central east.  They are called Mafol atast, “The Chamber of Bravery”.

By the way, this world is filled with redundant/contradictory names.  Many more so than usual.  Check out the brook name in that shot, and there is also an elven retreat – my favorite ever so far – the “Natural Artificial Jungles.”  Stupid pointy-eared gits.  Gotta be one or the other, fellas.

In any case, our doomed journey takes us northwest … almost to the northwest corner of the map.  We pass through the wide expanse of the Swamps of Pondering, rich in wildlife and timber, until reaching the peaceful mountain, the Tower of Dance.  The same swamps continue(they are huge, taking up basically a four or five-wide square on the world map), and eventually give way to the Plains of Bursting(shrubland and savanna, a couple sinister areas but mostly pretty tame and unremarkable).  

The journey gets a lot more dangerous after that heading into more rocky terrain.  The Evil Hills and the Courteous Violence-Dunes are the type of places that only elite expeditions would dare go:  plenty of mineral resources, but also quite dangerous.  After passing through a small neck of the Violent Granite Forest(huh?), we come to a small crossing of the Moral Water(temperate).  

On the other side(we are now midway from east to west and about three-quarters to the north side on the world map), we find the Lyrical Jungles of Foot.  Don’t ask, just don’t ask.  Another trip across a section of the Moral Water, and we find the Lyrical Swamp, followed by the hot, sparse, uninhabited Fields of Silk.  The hardest part is yet to come.  We must navigate the Occult Dunes of Scintillating, a mixture of desert, badlands, and rocky wasteland that seems to never end.  

Still not there yet, we encounter the Malignant Steppes, the Hills of Steel, and the Mellow Plains of Song.  All are warm to hot climates at this point, but none of them are worth noting otherwhise.  Fittingly, one of the last areas we cross is the Prairie of Craziness – we’re all just about ready to go stark raving mad at this point.

Of course, all of those would be great compared to where we are headed.  

This entire area is known as the Continents of Justifying – our particular branch of hell is simply the Dark Wicked Desert.  Simple, but an apt description.  Totally flat and nearly devoid of life, the surroundings range from Haunted to Terrifying.  Top row, third from the left on the world map.  It’s the kind of place you’d travel around, taking several times as long, just to avoid going there.  Naturally, all four biomes are scorching.  Fit for no life, it’s where we must make our home, or die an ignoble death and be lost to history’s ash heap.

It is the story of Rothral, “Domainsilver”.  It begins now, and ends only with our doom.  

Those foolish enough to join, please submit a preferred name(what I will refer to you as in updates), preferred activities if you have any, and gender desired if you care.  I have a rather unique fortress construction in mind, but I’ll keep it a secret until such time(if any) as I am able to start implementing it.

Sandono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rothral
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 07:47:00 pm »

Sandono
Male
Woodcutter or Hunter (anything else is fine too) eventually military if possible.
t this rate, Baron Lorn is going to replace the entire population with his own children since the other dwarves either very rarely pop one out, or have no idea what that thing between their legs are used for besides going to the bathroom and making them f

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:59:00 pm »

Torak
Novice appraiser, novice judge of intent, novice shield user, armor user (two levels), and proficient speardwarf.

Also, if I may, I request a steel (or adamantine) spear with a gold decoration. (you can make the spear later in the game)

Expedition leader/Broker/Manager/Bookeeper.

[ December 11, 2007: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 08:12:00 pm »

Roy. Prefered Male.
Novice of 8 random crafter proffessions, (no label) liar

He was a con artist who convinced a lot of people that his crafts were worth a LOT more then they were, whenever he got caught he switched cities and switched proffessions.

[ December 11, 2007: Message edited by: Reign on your Parade ]

ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 08:27:00 pm »

Hm...

Edos, Novice Brewer/Novice Cook.  Preferred activities: Brewing and Cooking (Naturally).

This should be fun - I'm curious as to what the "unique fortress design" is.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 08:34:00 pm »

Xotes, Competent hammerdwarf/ no label grower.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 09:06:00 pm »

Erendor
Jeweler/Soap Maker.
Jeweler being his first job, where he pocketed various gems.  Soap Making being something he was transferred to in an effort to stop his theft.  Didn't stop him from stealing soap, though.

Mystry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 09:08:00 pm »

If a slot is still open:

name: Mystry
gender preferred: Male
skills: Miner, Armor User, Shield User (any skill level on them) plus whatever else you need if theres points left over

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 09:44:00 pm »

Mystry, it looks like that you got cut off, assuming that Zorromorph is calling a dwarf.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 10:01:00 pm »

Put me in the next migration
Mulch. Make him seige operator untill he has a decent level in it then turn him into a sworddwarf.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 10:42:00 pm »

Put me in the first migration please.
Name: Surath
Profession: Mechanic, otherwise peasant to train as mechanic.  I want to build a lot of complicated traps.   :D  Also, if you need extra military, train me as a marksdwarf with armor and shield.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 11:44:00 pm »

Thanks for all who have joined -- the more the merrier.  A couple things I forgot to explain.  As a prison colony, everybody starts out as unskilled peasants -- if we had the least shred of apparent usefulness none of us would have been sent halfway across the world to this hellhole  :).   However I'll try to accomodate the profession requests in time.  

I'm not claiming a dwarf this time, so Mystry is the last of the first seven, the immigration class with begin with Mulch.  

I'm midway through the opening month, when it's finished I'll post our 'outpost', such as it is, and then I'll get everybody's info up.

[ December 11, 2007: Message edited by: Zorromorph ]

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 12:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zorromorph:
<STRONG>As a prison colony, everybody starts out as unskilled peasants -- if we had the least shred of apparent usefulness none of us would have been sent halfway across the world to this hellhole   :).   However I'll try to accomodate the profession requests in time.</STRONG>

Well assuming that we weren't just mindless zombies before imprisonment for our crimes, the professions wouldn't be that much of a stretch, which is why I chose novice in the desk jockey skills, and majored in the weaponry.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 12:23:00 am »

Meh, he already started.

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 12:40:00 am »

Yeah I'd consider changing it if I hadn't already started ... it doesn't really make all that much of a difference long-term.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4