Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Desert Dwarves  (Read 6031 times)

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Desert Dwarves
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

So, what, you're gonna post up the story of this fortress and the dwarves people have their names assigned to as it develops?

If so, I'll be the first mechanic to appear.

Reality is for people who lack imagination

White Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 08:53:00 pm »

Well I participated in the last one and if there are any spots open still put me in. If not just the next male dwarf opening. Thanks.
on''t think about me. It makes you easier to eat.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 10:43:00 pm »

Ohh, ohh! Feel free to put me in. I want to be that brave dwarf that got the short stick and has to mine his way to the magma flow. (Hey, maybe I'll get a few ranks in mining and survive!)

My only demand is a dark stone burial receptable thingy if I fail. Specifically obsidian but I don't think you have freedom of choice so, close enough! =)

And if a magma flood destroys my dwarf's resting place, I *WILL* come back and haunt you all. (As such I'll probably be one of the first immigrant peasants, not one of the seven.)

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 10:50:00 pm »

Well i will set your names up in the dwarvs spots about friday since im too lazy right now to do it  :(  

o well ill put you seperate and have you mocked for your stupidity   ;)

Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 02:40:00 pm »

4bh0r53n you will be called abhorsen when you see your name in the dwarf fortress pictures. It wont take numbers in names.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 10:00:00 pm »

What remains of the original troupe of dwarves who had traveled out to seek out fortunes in the name of their king have finally arrived. All four of the axedwarves and the two marksdwarves have died falling down a cliff. (One of them had a bit too much cat tallow biscuits) The jeweler and the Mechanic that had originally came with them died to rhesus macaque raids during the night. The Carpenter went his own way saying they will all die where they are headed to and stormed off into an elephant herd. (Idiot) The metal smith had to return back for he forgot his anvil (moron) They did find a mason trying to steal there food.(JimmyJ) They forced him to come along. The first thing the remaining dwarves did was dig out a hole in the mountain wide enough for 3 dwarves. Who knows they might actually find something.

“Well, we have finally arrived” says Metalax
“Easy for you to say. At least you didn’t know any of the dwarves who died on the way.” Says Xeirxes
“Yea well neither did you.”
“……..so?”
“Asehujiko come help me make a hall wide enough for three dwarves to pass into the mountain. We’ll just cut in a straight line. From there we will see what we can do.”
“Do I have a say in this?” Asehujiko asks.
“No”
“……..”

As Metalax and Asehujiko mine into the mountain Otherdwarf, TotalPigeon, and 4bh0r53n started hauling the food, seeds, and drinks inside so they wouldn’t rot in the outside air. JimmyJ went and set up a mason workshop. The others took the hint and also set up a kitchen, butchery, tannery, and a still. TotalPigeon went on and started gathering some nearby plants wordlessly.
“Hey Asehujiko you hear that?” Metalax asks sometime later.
Asehujiko listens closely. “Yea I think I do. Like…rushing water.”
“You don’t think?”
“Of course I think you idiot.”
“…There’s probably a lake behind this wall.” Metalax swings his pick even faster and harder and breaks down the wall in front of him to reveal a rushing river. “I never thought…”
“Well I guess this is our border line. Lets widen the hall now.”
Asehujiko and Metalax went back to the entrance and told their discovery to the others.
“Of course there is a river in this mountain” JimmyJ claims. “There is a river in nearly all the mountains. The one I was at last had one.” JimmyJ quickly fell silent.
“Normally I would think you were some sort of reject from the capitol… but you make it sound as if your not.” Claimed Xeirxes. JimmyJ remained silent.
“Well lets not get something like this get in our way. We should just get back to what ever we were doing. We still gonna have to find some means of supporting ourselves through the winter.” Claimed Asehujiko “TotalPigeon, Otherdwarf, 4bh0r53n you guys start finding some sort of means to support us through the winter if you can. Xeirxes you should try crafting some crafts if you can since your profession can’t really be of use right now”
“I cant really help with that” Xeirxes complains “The last time I saw a craft was about a few years ago. I cant remember what one looks like.”
Asehujiko sighs. “Oh well.”
So without another word TotalPigeon, Otherdwarf, and 4bh0r53n went about trying to find some means to feed them selves through the winter. Metalaz and Asehujiko continued one widening the hole they made. Xeirxes sat down and hauled random stuff around other wise twiddling his thumbs. While no one really realized JimmyJ had gone about and smoothing out blocks of stone and putting together some doors and floodgates. He even carved two statues.

Spring was drawing to an end. Metalax and Asehujiko had barely started widening out the hole in the mountain. TotalPigeon, Otherdwarf, and 4bh0r53n still haven’t found a way to feed themselves through the winter. JimmyJ is still yet to complete his third door. Xeirxes is yet to be useful. All because they fell asleep.

When they woke up Xeirxes had an idea. “Hey Otherdwarf. You can cook drinks too right?”
“Yea but then we won’t have any left if I cook that.” Otherdwarf said.
“Well what if you were to cook only the wine? Plumphelmets are easy to grow and give off plenty of seeds.”
“How would you know if they grow easy? You are not a farmer.”
“Yea well 4bh0r53n is. Is plumphelmets easy to grow?”
“Plumhelmets are… indeed easy to grow.” 4bh0r53n answers.
So while TotalPigeon brewed the plumphelmets, Otherdwarf cooked the wine making delicious roasts.

Xeirxes after his great idea eventually got bored and decided to watch JimmyJ work. Xeirxes noticed that JimmyJ had smoothed out an enourmas amount of stone blocks. He also noticed that there were three doors lying off to the side. And as Xeirxes walks up to JimmyJ he notices that he was putting final touches on a dark stone statue.
“Hey JimmyJ how long have those doors been lying there?” Xeirxes asked
“For about most of the season.” JimmyJ answered.
“Almost all season? Why have we never seen them? Or the statues?”
“You guys don’t look.”
“…Well we can certainly use those doors to cover the entrance. We will need to use one of those statues for the middle door though.”
“Fine by me. I’m just making things here.”
Xeirxes quickly called TotalPigeon to help him set the doors in. TotalPigeon ends up getting stuck under a statue he tryins to put down for the door.

Xeirxes passes by and notices TotalPigeons problem. “Need a hand? How about two?”
“Just help me get out from under here” TotalPigeon said.
Soon the doors were set in and the season’s end creeps nearer.
JimmyJ noticing that the hole in the mountain had gotten larger dismantled the mason workshop and set up one inside the hole. Once again taking the hint TotalPigeon, Otherdwarf, and 4bh0r53n dismantle and reassemble the kitchen, still, and tannery inside the hole. They left the butchery outside so nothing could rot inside.

End of Spring 1051

silentnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 03:49:00 am »

this will make for some good reading

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »

grek has arrrived fear his name for i shall update it in the current dwarves before he is noticed in the actual update

Trae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 03:16:00 pm »

I probably won't show up until the first immigration.
f it''s broke, fix it.
If it''s not broke, break it.

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

Spring has passed into summer. The time which things grow has passed into time in which things live.

Asehujiko who was the only one awake at the moment continued to dig out the intended tree-farm alone. He continued working until he too fell asleep while trying to dig.
“Asehujiko. Wake up.”
“Huh?” Asehujiko relies.
“Wake up do you know what that sound is?”
It was metalax. Asehujiko listens carefully.
“Why that sounds like … the river is moving faster.”

“We better warn everybody else” They ran out of the intended tree-farm area that metalax didn’t even know what was planned for. They found that everyone was already awake. Except for 4bh0r53n. Just as Metalax attempts to awake 4bh0r53n the river’s water level quickly rises and floods about twenty paces towards them. The dwarves watched in amazement as the water level gradually receded.

Not even bothering to wake 4bh0r53n up, Metalax decides to kick 4bh0r53n up.
“OUCH” 4bh0r53n yells. “That hurt.”
“Yea well we need you to get up so you can get farming.”
“Huh?”
“TURN AROUND YOU STONEHEAD”
Turning around 4bh0r53n notices that the ground in front of him was muddy. Embarassed 4bh0r53n quickly gets up and begins readying the ground for seeds. When he finished he began planting seeds with Otherdwarf’s help.
Going back to his work Metalax notices that the area Asehujiko was mining out was a bit different. He had left most of the wall in place, seoerating the hole from the mined out area. “Asehujiko what are you doing?”
“Im planning out a tree-farm. There isn’t enough trees in this place. How do you think we will get wood?”
“Oh well. Yea I knew that.”
Then without another word they continued mining out the intended tree-farm.
The dwarves had decided that the place needed to be cleaned up and started hauling everything into piles. Except the stones.

Xeirxes who had done nearly nothing to contribute decided to smooth out the stones in readiness for a future road. But he was still tired and fell asleep on the way.

“Meow”
JimmyJ looks at his feet as he carves another block of stone. He sees a cat rubbing against his leg. Smiling JimmyJ scratches the cat behind the ear. The cat purrs.

Just on the edge of vision another dwarf comes in to view. Or at least had anyone been awake. The metalsmith who needed to get his anvil had finally made it. Grek who finally made it to the land of Lokunabod didn’t notice however that there was a hard of warthogs right next to him.

Dropping his anvil he ran for the shortest path to the fortress. Through the warthogs. Grek lived through his stupidity with only some injuries.

Stoping to catch his breath in front of the entrance to the hole, Grek shouts “Hail dwarves. I have come back with my anvil! ...Guys?”
“Grek you took your time in getting here.” 4bh0r53n shouts.
“Yea well that anvil is heavy.”
“What happened? You have injuries all over you.”
“Yea I ran into some warthogs.”
4bh0r53n couldn’t help smiling. He started to laugh.
“…yea well im going to go set up a forge and a smelter and a wood burner.”
“Yea if you didn’t drop your anvil again” 4bh0r53n laughed.
“..I will go get it after I set up the smelter and wood burner. Do we have blocks?”
“Tons JimmyJ has carved them non stop.”
“JimmyJ?”
“Yea he became a late person. We sorta ran into him.”
With that Grek went off and got the smelter and wood burner up.
Soon the Grek was out sneaking past gazelles to get his anvil. When he picked up his anvil Grek merely walked back to the hole in the mountain and put up the forge.

Grek went and found Asehujiko and Metalax who were busy mining out more of the tree-farm. “Hey guys what sort of ore of you found so far?”
“Well” Metalax started “we found some tin around the main entrance. That is about it.”
“No there is more” Asehujiko interrupted. “I found some copper near the corner of the tree-farm”
“Excellent.” Grek said “All that is need for bronze is here. Have you seen any Zinc?”
“No” both answered.
With that Grek went off and disassembled both wagons. The wood will be used for the smithy. Leaving at least one to make sure coal can get running.

End of Summer 1051

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 10:22:00 pm »

The time of living has passed. Now begins the time of gathering.

Grek quickly burnt all the wood from the wagon. Asehujiko and Metalax continued on expanding the tree-farm. Otherdwarf and 4bh0r53n continued planting and harvesting plumphelmets. It was Xeirxes who was smoothing out the out side walls who noticed that the dwarven caravan came early.

“JIMMYJ! Hurry build a trade depot. The merchants have come.” Xeirxes shouted
“Im on it” JimmyJ said. He rushed about and grabbed three stone blocks for the trade depot. But he fell asleep doing so. As well as everyone else.
“Hello?” says one of the merchants “Is any one here?”
“Look there’s someone” says a guard. “But he is dead.”
The merchant takes a closer look. “No they are just sleeping. They must have been working hard to fall asleep where they stand.”
When the dwarves finally woke up they finished the trade depot and traded  =Dwarven Wine Roast= (6) for ten purring maggot meat, 10 cow meat, five giant bat meat, and ten turtles.
While Xeirxes and TotalPigeon chatting and bargaining with the merchants, JimmyJ went back to his stone carving. What he didn’t notice was another kitten that kept on following him as he worked. At least till the kitten jumped on his lap while he was on his break.

The merchants finally had to leave when the season was at near end. Upon leaving they leave us with words of wisdom.

“Bah pathetic humans. They are not even dragging their own wagons.” Grek claimed.
Soon after the caravan left the first days of winter hit.

End of Autumn 1051

JimmyJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2007, 01:27:00 am »

Wow, I'm really liking the way things are turning out, the story is keeping my interest, and its cool that I've gotten 2 cats so far : )
et out of my signiture!!!!!!!!!!

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2007, 02:09:00 am »

hahaha

I'LL BE THE BEST ENGRAVER EVER

JimmyJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2007, 02:31:00 am »

And I shall gather an army of cats to patrol the fortress and do my bidding : D
et out of my signiture!!!!!!!!!!

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2007, 07:15:00 pm »

The time has passed into that of survival.

The dwarves all paused for a moment as they observed what they had. This was their first winter. Food was ample enough to survive them through the winter. Even the alcohol was sufficient enough. The weather in the desert was actually pretty good. Getting back to work the dwarves dragged on preparing for the migrant wave that is expected in the spring. Asehujiko and Metalax knew that the stones and blocks needed to be stored else where and also were extremely good miners. They were able to cut out a sufficient size before the mid winter was even reached.

While this happened the other cats and kittens apparently got jealous of the cat and kitten who had an owner. So those kittens and cat devised a plan. They would follow around that owner and ask to be scratched and played with.

“Asehujiko.” Metalax said “We should begin digging on the other side of the river. Or else it is goning to get crowded in here and fast.”
“How though?” Asehujiko asked.
“well we have a mason don’t we?”
“Oh yea lets ask him.”
Asehujiko and Metalax ran to find JimmyJ. They found him buried under two cats and 3 kittens.
“Umm” Metalax started “Having fun there?”
“I don’t really know” JimmyJ stated.
“Well we wanted to know if you could build bridges over the river so we can dig there too.”
“sure I can let me just get these cats off me.”
Shoving the cats off JimmyJ gathers up 4 blocks for a bridge and as he went to the river all the cats followed him. JimmyJ quickly set up a two wide bridge and decided that there should be a main bridge.

So he made a 3 wide bridge only half way through the river. When Asehujiko and Metalax dug up enough of the area across from the river JimmyJ set up another bridge. Also JimmyJ noticed that the Asehujiko and Metalax had dug areas way to deep. Quickly JimmyJ set up supports at regular intervals.
Asehujiko and Metalax however were deciding who could dig the farthest before they fell asleep. They dug in a straight line racing against each other. Both were neck to neck with Metalax in the lead. But then Metalax hit an ore vien and dug even farther ahead but then had to go back for he missed a couple stones. The rules said he had to dig every stone in front of them. Metalax still however got a big lead. Then suddenly Metalax noticed a stone he missed and as he went to dig it out Asehujiko came in and took Metalax’s spot since she had to dig another wall out. Asehujiko however had stopped. For in front of him, and not Metalax, was a huge seemingly bottomless cleft in the mountain.

“Wow” Asehujiko muttered
“What are you starting… wow” Metalax says
Both miners quickly ran back and told everyone of the huge bottomless pit. The other dwarves didn’t believe them.
“You guys have probably had too much rum.” Otherdwarf claimed.
“Yea or the Dwarven Wine Roasts are getting too you” TotalPigeon says.
“They are not lying.” JimmyJ says “Some mountains have huge chasms in them. At the bottom of them there is said to be creatures. Rats that are more intelligent and have hands and longer arms. Bats that can set ambushes. Tiny gremlins that try and pull levers out of mischief. Even trolls…”
“Oh is that so? Well if that’s the case then this ‘Bottomless Pit’ is believable but that story of yours with rats and bats and trolls. Bah.” Xeirxes stated.
“How would you even know this?” 4bh0r53n says.
“My old home…” JimmyJ answers.
“Oh and where is that?”
“…”
“Fine don’t tell us.” 4bh0r53n shouts. Then under his breath 4bh0r53n says pathetic excuse of a dwarf.

After the little tail of the chasm or bottomless pit Asehujiko and Metalax began digging away at the other side of the river. In need of space when the migrants come.

End of Winter 1051

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5