Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Your Adventure Mode Building Projects?  (Read 34637 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Your Adventure Mode Building Projects?
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2016, 03:20:43 am »

Retiring my fortress and unretiring made the local hut lord a citizen of the fortress (apparently a member of a military squad which doesn't exist, and no labours available). He was a civ member though, non-civ member hut lords remain 'hostile'.

Also was down in the caverns and built a small site (while fending off cave crocs). I'm the  first of the deep dwarves. Yay.
Actually, nobody teleported anywhere during construction, so maybe that's fixed now?
hmm mostly if you set them as workers then fast travel away. if they still hang around the tunnels then Toady might have fixed that.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2016, 05:19:54 am »

tried building twice, first time bogeyman killed me second time went looking for water got killed by bogeyman.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2016, 05:41:01 am »

Retiring my fortress and unretiring made the local hut lord a citizen of the fortress (apparently a member of a military squad which doesn't exist, and no labours available). He was a civ member though, non-civ member hut lords remain 'hostile'.

Also was down in the caverns and built a small site (while fending off cave crocs). I'm the  first of the deep dwarves. Yay.
Actually, nobody teleported anywhere during construction, so maybe that's fixed now?
hmm mostly if you set them as workers then fast travel away. if they still hang around the tunnels then Toady might have fixed that.
Will experiment some more, I just had one companion helping me build stuff. He stayed with me and helped fend off the mole dog hordes during construction.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 15, 2016, 06:11:26 am »

Will experiment some more, I just had one companion helping me build stuff. He stayed with me and helped fend off the mole dog hordes during construction.
so for the second time build a camp in the tunnels, sent a corpse to help build a floor and fast travel out,
and got this result when I fast travel back to the site.

I.. couldn't grab more wood in this test as A demon just up and pop up after chopping down a shroom.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2016, 06:17:06 pm »

so for the second time build a camp in the tunnels, sent a corpse to help build a floor and fast travel out,
and got this result when I fast travel back to the site.

I.. couldn't grab more wood in this test as A demon just up and pop up after chopping down a shroom.
Not sure I understand this screen. Do the + marks next to the bull hound corpse indicate that he's some way above you (thus teleported out)?

What's above you, by the way? My camp is deep in the mountains, maybe the surface is too high to teleport to?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 15, 2016, 07:04:29 pm »

I've made a decent little enclave thus far, The Bastion of Wine.

Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)

I have a tavern with 10 dining chairs+tables, a 5x5 dance hall, cabinets for mugs/instruments, and 10 2x2 rooms each with a bed and cabinet. I also have 17 3x3 bedrooms in two buildings, one of which (the one with 6 bedrooms) is two stories tall. These each have a bed, cabinet, table, and chair. They're all individually assigned to my five former companions and my current party of a dozen drunks. Then there's the workshop and a simple shrine, dedicated to no deity in particular.

Finally my personal tower. The main hall has just some storage cabinets, while above it is the bedroom and library, which I'll eventually fill with...something. Finally above is a simple third floor with fortifications, which I might make a temple dedicated to my character's deity.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2016, 07:51:37 am »

Just in case anyone's struggling to build their perfect underground tavern due to the limited amount of wood available from underground trees, apparently all the logs on the surface counts towards your underground camp total too.

Might want to send in a spare adventurer if there's no quick route to the surface (note that if you retire above the site, you might find yourself underground next time you unretire).

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2016, 08:21:32 am »

I've made a decent little enclave thus far, The Bastion of Wine.

Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)

I have a tavern with 10 dining chairs+tables, a 5x5 dance hall, cabinets for mugs/instruments, and 10 2x2 rooms each with a bed and cabinet. I also have 17 3x3 bedrooms in two buildings, one of which (the one with 6 bedrooms) is two stories tall. These each have a bed, cabinet, table, and chair. They're all individually assigned to my five former companions and my current party of a dozen drunks. Then there's the workshop and a simple shrine, dedicated to no deity in particular.

Finally my personal tower. The main hall has just some storage cabinets, while above it is the bedroom and library, which I'll eventually fill with...something. Finally above is a simple third floor with fortifications, which I might make a temple dedicated to my character's deity.

Nice set-up there, good job. Any thoughts on a palisade?

connick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2016, 10:49:48 am »

tried building twice, first time bogeyman killed me second time went looking for water got killed by bogeyman.

Lol, I came to post something very similar. I've tried to make three different adventurers with goals of building a little fort and failed.

The first was a wolf man who should have just walked right past that lair of vile women but instead poked his head in and got ganked.

The second was a human who thought he was tough shit just because his starting keep provided him with almost a full set of iron equipment. Bogeymen caught him and made short work of him.

The last one was a monarch butterfly man who started in a dwarf fortress many levels below the surface and had to fly for days just to find a way to get topside. He was closing in on a nice, temperate forest when a dingo ambush interrupted fast travel. He tried to fly away but the spot was so covered with trees that he couldn't take off in time and got crushed into paste.

I still can't wait to actually try the new adventure mode construction features.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2016, 11:21:24 am »

Nice set-up there, good job. Any thoughts on a palisade?

I was plotting the addition of a basic wall around the area once I have a concrete idea of the actual final amount of space the heat of the camp will need. Though then I can always slap more walls around it too.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2016, 12:42:07 pm »

>heat of the camp
>slapping

Go on...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2016, 01:13:17 pm »

Lol, I came to post something very similar. I've tried to make three different adventurers with goals of building a little fort and failed.

The first was a wolf man who should have just walked right past that lair of vile women but instead poked his head in and got ganked.

The second was a human who thought he was tough shit just because his starting keep provided him with almost a full set of iron equipment. Bogeymen caught him and made short work of him.

The last one was a monarch butterfly man who started in a dwarf fortress many levels below the surface and had to fly for days just to find a way to get topside. He was closing in on a nice, temperate forest when a dingo ambush interrupted fast travel. He tried to fly away but the spot was so covered with trees that he couldn't take off in time and got crushed into paste.

I still can't wait to actually try the new adventure mode construction features.
the best way to do construction features is to stock up on companions as the time it takes for your adventurer to Build anything is in DAYS like 60 to 75 hours depending how much did you plan out. you can only do like 16 hours max so chances are you're going to push yourself into the night and die, or spend hours as a sitting duck for any bandit and monster to run by and ambush you.
after you get your site completed every one hostile kinda sit outside of the borders of the camp site possibly waiting for you to exit and get mugged.
starting to wonder if ambush rules ask for the attackers to group up in a Circle around the adventurer and if the adventurer is in a closed in environment the attackers would be bunched up alot closer?
"body swapping and YOU!"

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2016, 01:58:25 pm »

>heat of the camp
>slapping

Go on...

...doh. I blame typo imps.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

connick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2016, 08:28:51 am »

the best way to do construction features is to stock up on companions as the time it takes for your adventurer to Build anything is in DAYS like 60 to 75 hours depending how much did you plan out. you can only do like 16 hours max so chances are you're going to push yourself into the night and die, or spend hours as a sitting duck for any bandit and monster to run by and ambush you.
after you get your site completed every one hostile kinda sit outside of the borders of the camp site possibly waiting for you to exit and get mugged.
starting to wonder if ambush rules ask for the attackers to group up in a Circle around the adventurer and if the adventurer is in a closed in environment the attackers would be bunched up alot closer?
Thanks for the advice. I managed to get started on my own site after vowing not to get sidetracked. I made a raven man archer poet and found a quiet spot near the ocean.

So far it's just an 8x8 building with a carpentry shop outside. I made a door, bed, table, chair and cabinet to furnish the place. No roof yet though so I'm still sleeping in the rain (it's been raining for days in my game). I can get in 8 hours of solo construction before I become thirsty, hungry and sleepy so I've just been working all day and sleeping all night.

After I put a roof on it I think I'll make a tower on top and invite some friendly NPCs to stay. Then I'll stockpile a bunch of food and bolts and start exploring the world.

Oh, and since it wasn't obvious to me I'll mention it here. In order to make a stone axe you need a wooden branch to carve into a helve. You get branches by [h]olding them (like you would to climb) and then rip them off.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2016, 09:32:55 am »

you don't need to climb a tree to get branches either your character can grab branches out of  a tree by using G and finding the (above) pick branch option.
I never had to climb a dang tree during my 43.02. mostly due to you end up doing this with trees that are too tall and you need to climb a few z levels to hit the branches and you could Die falling doing that.
also climbing a tree eats all the speed your character can do and set you up for an in level ambush.
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13