Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Water World  (Read 5192 times)

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
Re: Water World
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 12:26:05 am »

So is it not common/possible for an aquifer to fill an entire layer? I was under the impression that most aquifers were this way.
I generally turn them off, or only leave them on when doing surface-only challenges, so I have little experience with them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 03:09:12 am »

Aquifers typically cover the whole biome, but if the embark straddles biomes you may have one biome with an aquifer, and one without (or you can have them at different levels).

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 09:19:40 am »

Generally, as long as it isn't just one biome, you can make it past most aquifers, even if there's one in each biome. It's part of why I prefer snagging as many as possible. If there's one in each, however, it's gonna take a lot of twisting, turning and probing to get through, and I'm fairly sure it's quite possible for enough overlap to completely block you out.
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 01:07:55 pm »

I like the double pump stack method, as it leaves a working water reactor for millstones and mist generator after.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 10:36:26 pm »

I just wanted to mention that smoothing stone walls also removes their status as aquifer tiles.  Thus, after the first few levels of soil, multiple level aquifers are super-easy to pierce.  I've had 10+ aquifers in mountain biomes (all stone) that were a BREEZE to pierce with the double-slit method, even the last layer.  Since you can smooth stone diagonally whereas you can only build walls in orthogonal directions AND smoothing is faster than building (but smoothing doesn't seem to save progress like building?) it goes -much- quicker with stone.  Remember, aquifer tiles only leak in orthogonal directions (north, south, east, west as well as below), so you can smooth a tile that isn't leaking safely from a 45 degree angle. 

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 01:01:35 pm »

The scenario is that you have a thick stone-layer aquifer. This is my quick and safe (and cheap in terms of resources) method for piercing it with a 3x3 stairwell. Recommended workforce: as many miner/engraver/mechanic/pump operators as you can spare. Two or three are quite sufficient. Also components for a screwpump or two and some grates.

Start with a setup like this, pump to the west:

▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓.>.▓
▓#%%≈▓▓
▓▓▓...▓
  ▓▓▓▓▓

The watery open tile should have an up-down staircase dug beneath it and the top channeled open, so now let's go down a Z, which should look like this:

▓▓▓
   ▓X▓
   ▓▓▓

Start pumping and dig up-down stairs under the down-stairs:

▓▓▓
   ▓X▓
   ▓X▓
   ▓▓▓

Now dig up-down stairs under the CENTER tile. If there's another aquifer layer it'll be your drain and you can stop the pump; if not, it means you've found the first non-aquifer layer and just have to keep the pump running. Now smooth the whole thing, then dig more up-down stairs and smooth around them one by one, until your staircase looks like this:

╔═══╗
  ║XXX║
  ╠OXO╣
  ║XXX║
  ╚═══╝

Channel out center stairs, dig out tiles beneath the pump, smooth all leaky walls, channel the new side-drain,

╔═══╗
▓═╝XXX║
▓▼..≈O╣
▓═╗XXX║
  ╚═══╝

install grate, smooth out remaining tiles, move the pump,

╔═══╗
╔═╝XXX║
║#%%≈O╣
╚═╗XXX║
  ╚═══╝

and repeat as long as necessary.

Extra bonus: you can build a well on top of the last side-drain aquifer, where it is easily accessible.

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 11:55:48 am »

This is why I mod out aquifers in my games.  :P Too much hassle for me.
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 12:49:22 pm »

I had an 11z deep layer with 4-5 soil. Ain't nobody got time for that.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 08:21:58 pm »

I distinctly remember piercing at least 8z level aquifer. It is a pain and I usually end up savescumming because I botch at least one attempt.

It takes long time which is bad for one's connection to the fortress... on the other hand, when you do master the process, it does have its perks - nothing like a stairway/self-draining bathtub/waterfall/drowning trap all in one. (installing switch and not ending up with floating corpses is kind of a horror, yeah)
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2016, 05:36:37 pm »

I do like having an aquifer on the map. You can create underground water systems that function via pressure. One of my favorite things to do.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 08:56:33 am »

I don't know how common is that, maybe it's normal, because when I embark near ocean, and the map contains aquifer, then there's no aquifer on beach and often nearby.  When I embark on map which, according to pre-embark screen, contains an aquifer exclusively on ocean biome, then I don't have an aquifer at all. So it's very easy to dig under aquifer on ocean biomes.

I'm saying that, because if I remember correctly, wiki says that oceans always contains aquifers - which is not true in all cases I tried (including v.0.42.06). Yes, the embark screen says there's aquifer, but only damp tiles I see and encounter are these under ocean water.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2016, 11:45:38 am »

I don't know how common is that, maybe it's normal, because when I embark near ocean, and the map contains aquifer, then there's no aquifer on beach and often nearby.  When I embark on map which, according to pre-embark screen, contains an aquifer exclusively on ocean biome, then I don't have an aquifer at all. So it's very easy to dig under aquifer on ocean biomes.

I'm saying that, because if I remember correctly, wiki says that oceans always contains aquifers - which is not true in all cases I tried (including v.0.42.06). Yes, the embark screen says there's aquifer, but only damp tiles I see and encounter are these under ocean water.
When I've embarked on ocean shores with ocean aquifers there have been actual aquifers there (including cases stretching down into the first cavern). Since I usually have aquifers I can't say too much about oceans without them, though.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 02:33:24 pm »

I discovered that aquifers don't only show up in layer stone.  I usually mod out aquifers on all rock and most soil, so I have fewer aquifers and no super thick ones. I had missed one type of stone and I had a map that had large cluster aquifers.  So for 4 or 5 levels I ended up with big oval aquifers in otherwise dry stone. I totally wanted to make a water park, with slides draining from one aquifer to another.

Maybe I should make microcline an aquifer stone and see what that ends up doing...

Redman the Communist

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:LIGHT] [SPHERE:HEALING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 04:37:59 pm »

Maybe I should make microcline an aquifer stone and see what that ends up doing...

Make Slade an aquifier stone instead, and see what happens.
A light cannot fade by darkness
it will shine even in the darkest corners of the world.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 12:06:45 pm »

OP, I read the title and thought "someone wants to/has found a reliable way to generate worlds that consisted entirely of tiny islands in a vast ocean. Then I read the thread and was disappointed.
This world has a 6x2 Island. :)  Smallest I've seen, personally.
You can remove the seeds and probably find a smaller one, if you're inclined to take the time to gen a couple dozen worlds.  I would love to find a 1x1 or 2x2 island, myself.  Would make for some great fortress scenarios.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry for the minor derail!  :-X
Pages: 1 [2] 3