Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Things you've learned recently  (Read 2418 times)

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things you've learned recently
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »

No matter how long you tell your dwarves to manufacture "rock instruments" for, it will not result in the creation of electric guitars.
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Crnobog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 05:57:00 pm »

That I have no idea how to build drawbridges.

I also paid for that valuable piece of insight with the blood of 60 of my dwarves, some of them legendary :/

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 11:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Crnobog:
<STRONG>That I have no idea how to build drawbridges.

I also paid for that valuable piece of insight with the blood of 60 of my dwarves, some of them legendary :/</STRONG>

Oh man, speaking of drawbridges, I'm ridiculously proud of my latest run in with an ill-placed chasm-spurt in my latest fortress of Lizard Bodices:

Hell yeah!
To explain, the chasm stuck right through my workshop area and into my refuse room- I only noticed it after my legendary miners had dug out the entire place...

My first issue: Getting draw bridges to all line up right. It turns out that draw bridges that raise left or right can't actually be placed so that their point of rotation can cover over empty squares, but ones that raise up or down can... With a little fiddling, I managed to work it so that only a bridge that raised up was over the chasm, without exposing any chasm squares by the workshops when being raised... I managed to make the two four by four right-drawing drawbridges on entirely solid land.

Next I learned that miasma totally goes through statues... I had to use doors, and there were insane illogical rules about where I could place doors- It took a lot of trial and error to reach the elegant solution you can see in the picture.

I have to say, bizarre and illogical game mechanics can be ridiculously fun, especially when you can actually overcome them after you've spent the last fifteen minutes learning exactly how they work.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 03:51:00 pm »

Doors actually have rather simple rules.  I'm not sure of the exact specifics, but this is the strategy I use to place them when I want a massive gate:

code:

████████
..Ω╋....
..Ω╋....
..Ω╋....
..Ω╋....
...╋Ω...
████████

I place the statues first (the bottom one is placed on the other side so as to allow the passageway to still function, though traffic is still significantly reduced while the gate is under construction), then install the doors.  Once the doors have been placed, I remove the statues from the bottom up.

To expand that to a double-thick gate, I then do this:

code:

████████
...╋.Ω..
...╋.Ω..
...╋.Ω..
...╋.Ω..
...╋....
████████

I then place the doors between the statues and the gate in order from top to bottom.  When I reach the bottom:

code:

████████
...╋╋Ω..
...╋╋Ω..
...╋╋Ω..
...╋╋Ω..
...╋....
████████

I remove all of the statues except the bottommost, and add a statue to the very bottom edge of the corridor.

code:

████████
...╋╋...
...╋╋...
...╋╋...
...╋╋Ω..
...╋.Ω..
████████

...and am now free to build a door in the final little gap.

[ April 04, 2007: Message edited by: JT ]

[ April 04, 2007: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>Doors actually have rather simple rules.  I'm not sure of the exact specifics, but this is the strategy I use to place them when I want a massive gate:</STRONG>

It's actually even simpler: just lock the doors and you can build more doors off of them...

What was really getting me above is that you can't have a door diagonal to a wall... I had:

code:

..#...
..#++O
=====+
=====+
...X+O
..#...

Where the O would be a statue, + a door and the = a bridge... The X is where I couldn't place a door...

Okay, so it wasn't exactly rocket science to solve, but I was still proud of the result...

Pages: 1 [2]