Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Things you've learned recently  (Read 2419 times)

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Things you've learned recently
« on: March 31, 2007, 10:03:00 pm »

If you're going to use chains rather than cages for justice, it's not a good idea to have less than two spaces between each one. Otherwise when you get multiple dwarves jailed for tantruming, they will beat the crap out of each other.
What have you learned?

[ March 31, 2007: Message edited by: Furious Fish ]

Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things you've learned recently
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 02:33:00 am »

Losing is fun, unless it has to do with your save games.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 02:43:00 am »

That a trantuming refuse hauler can kill my entire army by breaking the (magma)bridge they are standing on.

30 dead soldiers, atleast 50 masterwork bolts lost, 10 other masterworks and 3 artifacts.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 03:22:00 am »

That certain types of rock and all cooked food look the same. Ironic, that. (tileset editing)

That no matter how light or heavy, only one object can ever be carried at a time, except for clothes, weapons, and such.

That rain causes seeds to self-destruct, leaving the dwarf carefully carrying it to become bewildered and confused for a few seconds.

That dwarves would much rather see puppies and kittens killed then lose something high quality they made.

That nobles will happily pull a lever right next to a floodgate while locked in their room.

That even the most hardy, stout, expert loggerdwarf even if very drunk will run at the sight of raccoons, deer, and anything else that moves, but will walk right up next to a unicorn or elephant and try to harvest a tree.

That expert trappers (supposedly the most outdoorsy of all dwarves) will knowingly and willfully wander onto an island when the river is frozen over, and sit there watching it thaw thinking nothing is wrong.

That humans seiging love campfires, but sometimes set themselves on fire from it, lighting up their whole squad - all while adjacent squads just watch and laugh - even directly next to a flowing river.

That even the dwarf that made the channel and pulled the lever will use any convenient channel to haul items around in, and not drop the stone they are carrying because of a little thing like not being able to breathe underwater.

That the more dwarves and animals a fortress has, the slower time moves.

That goblins, humans, elves, and any other sieging army will become utterly confused if they cannot find any open door to go through, and wait outside as if they rang the doorbell.

That unicorns are just pretty horses with a built in bayonett.

That dwarves like puppy and kitten leather items.

That statues can and do block even the mightiest flow of water or lava.

That swimming lessons and dwarves do not mix.

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 04:04:00 am »

That a burning dwarf is more dangerous than any number of elephants, goblins, or unicorns...

Dwarves love fire, and enjoy giving it as a gift to anyone (and anything) that comes anywhere close to them...

Dwarves will go ballistic at the slightest provocation ("What do you mean you've just eaten my masterpeice meal...")

That a noble will make incessant demands for obsidian tables for his bedroom - even when there's not a free floor-tile to place one on because the whole room is already filled with obsidian tables...

By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 07:13:00 am »

Yeah, when one of my nobles demanded his umpteenth statue, the workers left it in front of his door because there was no place in the room.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 10:59:00 am »

you know, they eventually forget about those demands and you can remove the old items from their rooms.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 01:26:00 pm »

That Goblins have trained ogres in their fortresses. And they hit hard.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »

Wrestling magma men is not a good idea.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »

Batmen, when attacking from ambush, will only be able to kil your legendary dwarves, no matter how tough they are

Also, Legendary dwarves spring 3x as many ambushes as anyone else

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 05:17:00 pm »

That everyone here is nuts. ;-)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 05:22:00 pm »

I actually just learned that making mugs nets you three times the number of crafts...

I do feel weird though, exporting so many hundreds of mugs and nothing else... I wonder what the heck the human merchants think of my fortress... From their perspective, I'm running a dwarven mug-making colony, setup for the sole purpose of exporting all sorts of exotic mugs...

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 06:08:00 pm »

That while crawling around babbling may not seem like the greatest of social skills, it's still apparently enough to know how to throw a party.

(An insane dwarf just organised a party in my fortress. Sadly he won't actually be in attendance, as he's in jail. It's probably for the best anyway - he's a brain-damaged ex-military serial killer)

Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Grumnar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 06:28:00 pm »

That a dead burning dwarf is even a worse thing than a candle-dwarf running around your fortress...

That Dwarves are stupid enough to pull on any clothing that's burning, especially when there are loads of other cloths in your piles.

That Dwarves are A-sexual and just pretend to have 2 parents. The want to be sad if someone dies =|

That Family business is the worst disaster ever know in game-world

That artifacts can be idiot and the dwarves who make them even worse (some idiot mason who turns legendary from building a 1 piece statue and carries it around and gets into turtle-speed.)

That I quit learned a few stupid facts from dwarves, but that they can die in the most hilarious situations ^^

prklts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 11:29:00 pm »

Hehe... speaking of stupid artifacts... I had a carpenter enter a "mood" once. He grabbed three entire logs from the stockpile of wood, and spent a couple of months or so working mysteriously on his leet artifact. When it was all said and done, he had made: a wooden ring. Why'd he need to use so much wood? *grumbles*

At least he only wanted stuff I actually had.

Tim

Pages: [1] 2