Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110840 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)
« Reply #990 on: March 17, 2018, 02:33:29 pm »

At that point you may as well not include the die rolling at all.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: March 17, 2018, 03:30:22 pm »

Not really. Its no worse than the "deck of rolls" used by Iron Behemoths to ensure equal dice rolls, with the added side effect of not being able to count cards.

Having no rolls at all removes all the randomness based fun.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: March 29, 2018, 02:13:40 am »

PTW
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: March 29, 2018, 02:43:32 am »

I've considered that system.  Honestly it might be one of the fairer systems out there - even with perfect dice distributions, one side may get better rolls right off the bat, leading to more resources, leading to an early-game advantage that becomes very tough to beat.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: March 29, 2018, 02:47:18 am »

So, what's next. Time-adjusted dice values?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: March 29, 2018, 03:25:16 am »

No, averaged dice rolls.  Both sides get a 3.5 for every die roll.  100% fair and average distribution.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: March 29, 2018, 03:39:32 am »

I've considered that system.  Honestly it might be one of the fairer systems out there - even with perfect dice distributions, one side may get better rolls right off the bat, leading to more resources, leading to an early-game advantage that becomes very tough to beat.
Without naming names...

Even then, if both teams roll high, one went ambitious and one didm't, the ambitious one will win. And the inverse can happen... It is still largely up to chance unless both sides are scared to take risks. It might be better to just let them choose from identical pools. At least then they can choose to try rushing resources early or saving good rolls for counters and high-tech designs while burning their bad trolls on pure experience projects and delaying tactics... Might not be as exciting, but at least there is something to think over and there are enough different games of chess without any dice involved...

Or every second result could be the inversion of the previous roll. So you if you randomly roll a 2 and know that the next roll will be a certain 5, then the next is random again... This'd be a mix of mystery and strategy and guaranteed averages. But I guess that wouldn't work. A guaranteed six is worth a lot more than a mystery six, and is much more significant than a guaranteed 4 or 1... But it still gets the G.M. off of most hooks! They can just point to the perfectly average totals and scream that it is totes fair!

I am a bit concerned over different scales in projects. A ship typically has multiple different guns, armour, engines, propellers... A wheeled A.T. gun has a gun, and wheels, and maybe some braces and sights if you want to get technical... If you build a battleship, the guns, engine, armour... It'll all be unique, and it is impractical to have a separate design for each component, but if you let them just build it, then they might decide to port the 320mm guns to their field artillery, the 320mm armour to their pillboxes, and the house-sized engines to their trains, each as a revision, on the grounds of porting existing technology rather than creating new. The alternative is to either force them to build all of the parts prior to the battleship, have the battleship be a storm of bugs even on a perfect roll, or arbitrarily declare that big projects are special and their parts can't be regarded as separate.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: March 29, 2018, 03:58:37 am »

That's why I tried to draft an idea for how many "new things" were involved in the design, with each "thing" needing a die roll. Thus a battleship revision for improving it's engines is approximately equal to designing a completely new rifle.

I imagine the Easy/Medium/Hard mechanic could be applied here, and I believe that's part of the logic behind the "progress" requirement in Cinder Spires.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: March 29, 2018, 03:59:09 am »

I am a bit concerned over different scales in projects. A ship typically has multiple different guns, armour, engines, propellers... A wheeled A.T. gun has a gun, and wheels, and maybe some braces and sights if you want to get technical... If you build a battleship, the guns, engine, armour... It'll all be unique, and it is impractical to have a separate design for each component, but if you let them just build it, then they might decide to port the 320mm guns to their field artillery, the 320mm armour to their pillboxes, and the house-sized engines to their trains, each as a revision, on the grounds of porting existing technology rather than creating new. The alternative is to either force them to build all of the parts prior to the battleship, have the battleship be a storm of bugs even on a perfect roll, or arbitrarily declare that big projects are special and their parts can't be regarded as separate.
The actual solution to that problem, RAM, is Draignean's system in Spires Race. Where not all projects take the same amount of time to complete, meaning a simple gun might take only a turn or two, where an entire battleship would take more like 6 (or somesuch)*. It is, to be sure, a more complex system, but it works reasonably well.

*Draignean also uses variable progress based on spendable dice, so it's more like the simple gun costs (on average) 3 progress dice and the battleship (on average) 18.
Long Live United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: March 29, 2018, 06:37:31 am »

If you'd like, here's a copy of the upgraded version of the Cinder Spires progress system. The tweaks ended up being too large-scale to incorporate into the original, but I still liked the variant.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

Edit: Short version of the changes. Basically it's so that any project takes between 1 and 10 dice worth of progress to complete on average. If you're running the 5 dice per turn system that was designed on, that means even more difficult projects can be reasonably finished in 2 or 3 turns, and an emergency rush can give you enough dice to complete even very large projects very quickly with only a chance of bugging everything up.

The ability to manufacture expensive prototypes also means there's much less of a harsh penalty for bad rolls knocking you short of project completion- instead the object in question is just overly expensive until you get things squared away.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:08:58 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: March 29, 2018, 01:00:49 pm »

Looking over the system Draignean, It gave me an idea for a AR;

A  one-sided arms race in which the designers have to engineer ships, weapons, and other interstellar equipment and for the purpose of defending against a first contact turned into a war of extermination.

The Designers species would control around 100-150 colonized worlds of varying development, and would start off with basic patrol ships and doctrine developed around the suppression of local populace rebellions, with fast acting ship fleets, autonomous drones and other support systems developed towards beating frigate sized hit and run fleets.

The Determined Exterminators could field with around eight to nine times the amount of raw tonnage then the Designers, but most of it is not deployed due to unknown reasons.

FTL speeds would be the only thing limiting engagements, as although the Designers have a different method of FTL that is much faster, it will still take weeks or even months between each battle, but the Designers can bring out their hardware much faster then the Exterminators.

There will also be the tactical side; Worlds will have to be chosen to be protected or to let fall, as well as certain doctrines will be proposed to the designers or something along those lines.

One thing that I might need more development on is on the subject of what kind of numbers both sides has; How those numbers get to the fight and the flow of the battle field.

In short, a Arms Race based around a campaign that could be described as a little bit similar to Halos Arch, but without the Forerunners.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: March 29, 2018, 03:16:41 pm »

force them to build all of the parts prior to the battleship
the simple gun costs (on average) 3 progress dice and the battleship (on average) 18.
But then the battleship costs six times as much as the gun, so it needs to have six times as much impact on the war. If your battleship is flying and your targets are vertical spires sticking into the air, and there is almost nothing on the ground or sea, then a battleship being that important is not so difficult. Intercontinental though has battleships that, in theory, only affect the sea and shore, while much of the fighting doesn't involve them at all. There is an argument to be made that the sea is the most important front, but still, extending the production time out to six times will almost always be a net loss unless they somehow can't improve anything else significantly...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: March 29, 2018, 03:19:21 pm »

that is the development cost, mind you, not the deployment cost.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: March 29, 2018, 03:42:42 pm »

force them to build all of the parts prior to the battleship
the simple gun costs (on average) 3 progress dice and the battleship (on average) 18.
But then the battleship costs six times as much as the gun, so it needs to have six times as much impact on the war. If your battleship is flying and your targets are vertical spires sticking into the air, and there is almost nothing on the ground or sea, then a battleship being that important is not so difficult. Intercontinental though has battleships that, in theory, only affect the sea and shore, while much of the fighting doesn't involve them at all. There is an argument to be made that the sea is the most important front, but still, extending the production time out to six times will almost always be a net loss unless they somehow can't improve anything else significantly...

Counterpoint 1: I believe the point you made earlier was that the typical system of rolling allows the battleship to be created and then all of its parts farmed off via revision- which rather makes the efficacy argument moot. If you wanted the 18 progress dice to represent the effort of creating this nice battleship with all of its battleship parts properly integrated into a non-buggy mess, then your 18 progress isn't just a ship. It's the gun, it's the armor, it's the generator, it's the ECW suite, it's whatever the players tacked on that they can then revise away as you earlier put it. Thus, 18 dice gets you the three dice gun, the two dice armor, the four dice generator+propulsion, the actual battleship hull that's competently and cohesively designed to put it together, etc.

Counterpoint 2: You can tailor those numbers as you see fit, one of my favorite parts of the system. Scale it to where you think things are comfortable, or give people more dice and let them pursue parallel development.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: March 29, 2018, 06:14:30 pm »

That was only part of my point. My point is that there can exist a disconnect between the value of a design and the ability to farm its parts(and from an immersion perspective, the practical effort required to design it) which makes it difficult to justify either building complex designs at all or building anything else when designing new parts. If Spires successfully makes all designs accurately match the investment then good for it! I still worry that such is not always plausible...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 78