Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110859 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)
« Reply #960 on: January 05, 2018, 11:01:48 am »

snip
I'd really like to try this. I think the biggest conflict in each team would be picking their deck theme though.

Well, I'm going to be doling out the commanders, which control the deck colors, at the beginning. It'll probably stay in the Cyberpunk Authority vs Resistance theme.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: January 05, 2018, 11:17:10 am »

Ah, kind of a shame, I had quite a few ideas.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: January 05, 2018, 11:18:47 am »

Mmm... I suppose I could leave it open. Doesn't change too much in the long run.

EDIT: Although, you could end up with some truly screwy themes going on. Magic Girls vs Grimdark Spehss marines or Delicatessens vs. Philosophers. Still, I might be okay with it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:20:53 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: January 05, 2018, 11:24:03 am »

You don't have to change if you really want to use your idea. I just feel like a card game based format should be more customizeable than most.

Frankly I feel like the potential for whackyness makes the game all the better.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:28:32 am by Failbird105 »

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 05, 2018, 11:47:24 am »

The example setting could easily go Shadowrun without causing problems.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: January 05, 2018, 12:08:36 pm »

True, but that's not really the point. You can do pretty much ANY two themes in a card based Arms Race.

An idea would be to havd the players vote in the main thread every time one side wins to decide whether to change the themes, and then have each team vote in their own thread for their new theme.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 05, 2018, 12:11:45 pm »

True, but that's not really the point. You can do pretty much ANY two themes in a card based Arms Race.

An idea would be to havd the players vote in the main thread every time one side wins to decide whether to change the themes, and then have each team vote in their own thread for their new theme.

Er, the idea was that the decks would be kept between matches- until there was a tennis lead and the entire race was won by one side. Thus, each new game would be fought with the units progressively enhanced in the last game.

I can see why one would want to do a redesign every match, but that seems like a lot of work.
---

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: January 05, 2018, 12:13:14 pm »

Yeah, it would, hence just an idea.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 05, 2018, 12:19:01 pm »

The Card Race looks very interesting. I like the secret police vs resistance theme.
This hits two things that I love, card games and Arms race games.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 05, 2018, 02:59:55 pm »

I was thinking of a clockwork/mad engineering theme, but it could be converted into a scavenger/improvised technology theme I suppose.

And those fractal things wouldn't work. Well, they might, but the technology involved would mean that they would be facing things that render them ineffective. Obviously to function they need some sort of defensive energy field to deal with inertia(which will still ruin their day, just not fatally. They WILL need to equalise velocities in order to use NANOmanipulators of all things and actually retain any of the material) which mean that you can just turn on a bigger field to keep them at a safe distance, and crush them into a solid block while you are at it. And then there is the issue of actually touching incoming projectiles. It sounds as though tracer rounds could mission-kill them without difficulty.

As for beating flame-throwers? Nanites are extremely slow. Best mobility they are going to get is insane tech(which means the opposition gets lava armour and E.M.P. bullets) or jumping, which is nice and all but requires an inordinate amount of prep-time and from a nanite still means very little distance covered. Not to mention that disassembling something on a molecular scale is extremely energy intensive, and nanites don't have any space for energy acquisition, so a splotch on a flamethrower will still leave you with hours, if not days of flame-throwing at its friends, by which time the battle is long-over and everyone is back in decontamination...

They would, though, be a good terror weapon, what with the whole invisibility thing, and also good over large undefended areas. They would be a good choice for ecological destruction if you aren't in any hurry...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 03:22:55 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: January 05, 2018, 03:34:47 pm »

I would probably be willing to run a card Arms Race with custom themes if I had help balancing the cards.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: January 05, 2018, 04:23:50 pm »

I can help with that, if you run the game. It's mostly a matter of referencing existing cards and effects.
---

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 05, 2018, 05:51:44 pm »

Yeah, and I'm going to need that help since I have minimal familiarity with MtG.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 05, 2018, 06:07:18 pm »

The new Iron Behemoths Arms race has entered the Revision Phase.  If you want to design cool Mechs and Walkers and rules-lawyer your way around the Geneva Conventions, you should consider joining!

Currently Toskesh is behind on players and could use a few more engineers to help their dreams become a reality.

Join today!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 06, 2018, 12:16:17 pm »

Yeah, and I'm going to need that help since I have minimal familiarity with MtG.

I'm afraid I may have to retract my offer.

Against good interest, I launched Insurrection.
---
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 78