Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110942 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC
« Reply #855 on: October 20, 2017, 05:25:03 pm »

Well, theres still kinda sorta a stone age arms race...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 20, 2017, 05:38:54 pm »

Well, theres still kinda sorta a stone age arms race...

I know there was one I had made a long while back that is now dead, but I don't recall any active ones on the list.  And If someone's started one up, then I don't think I'm aware of it.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: October 20, 2017, 06:28:04 pm »

Just a general "God Arms Race" could be kind of cool. In addition to managing species, do other cool things. Like designing an entire system of magic.

So you'd have a standard "Design" and "Revision" phase (with extra phases at the start to design species and whatnot) but would be limited to much higher up stuff. Gods wouldn't bother themselves with the day-to-day mundane affairs of mortals, after all. Turns would take place over much longer periods of time, and another aspect of the game would be the natural technological/societal development of the species by themselves; this development could be aided by the players but not directly interfered with.
Theatres would be centered around magicbabble like leylines and whatnot that serve as conduits for prayer -> mana. Or something.

Would be quite ambitious but it'd definitely be really fun if someone pulled it off.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: October 20, 2017, 06:52:11 pm »

I wasn't so much thinking "god arms race" as "stone age arms race with custom creatures", the non-player creatures would function as hazards and resources(some requiring more tech than others). Effectively to allow a more fantastical arms race without the salt mines or text walls that the typical magic arms race does.

An example of how creatures would effect the game is that each team gets to design a creature one their side AND the enemies. So the question is do you want a low risk animal with less use as a war beast or weapon, but more utility uses, and what kind of creature do you try to give the enemy? Do you risk giving them a mighty beast in order to weaken them early game, or something relatively harmless to yourself, but of utility useage to the enemy.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:57:55 pm by Failbird105 »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: October 20, 2017, 06:56:26 pm »

Oh, yeah, no. I was mostly just speaking in general, as an idea gained from reading your thing.
Though out of curiosity, how would it avoid extra salt and the like?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 20, 2017, 07:05:22 pm »

A lot of problems in magic and Sci-fi Arms races from what I've seen and heard comes from poorly defined limits. Wands race for instance required the GMs to make things up as they went, and many times having to go back on those decisions as they wound up unfair for one side or the other. Cinder Spires meanwhile has very little salt that I have seen, and a well defined system of how the fantasy stuff works.

This one is limited by being mostly based on real physics and biology.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 20, 2017, 08:35:18 pm »

It was indeed yours Zan, last I knew it was on hiatus but not over.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: November 01, 2017, 05:06:21 pm »

Starting a new Arms Race test with a vastly different system: Mad Science Arms Race Test. Where every player gets their own design if they want it, but can collaborate for a better chance of success.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: November 02, 2017, 06:57:35 pm »

You already know about it zan, seeing how you joined and all, but I would like it if you could add The Ameliorate War to the list of active games.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: November 02, 2017, 10:10:44 pm »

It was indeed yours Zan, last I knew it was on hiatus but not over.

At this point, consider it dead.  Comp that had all the details on it died anyway.

Starting a new Arms Race test with a vastly different system: Mad Science Arms Race Test. Where every player gets their own design if they want it, but can collaborate for a better chance of success.

Added.

You already know about it zan, seeing how you joined and all, but I would like it if you could add The Ameliorate War to the list of active games.

Added.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: November 03, 2017, 08:25:48 am »

Zan, here is the link for the Space Battles Embassy for the Intercontinental Arms Race Embassy

It's open to both sides, don't worry about spoilers.
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/arms-race-embassy.521083/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:28:05 am by Blood_Librarian »
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: November 03, 2017, 08:46:10 am »

Zan, here is the link for the Space Battles Embassy for the Intercontinental Arms Race Embassy

It's open to both sides, don't worry about spoilers.
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/arms-race-embassy.521083/

Thank you.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: November 03, 2017, 11:53:41 am »

Mad Science Arms Race Test
Links:
Main
West Oregon Player Count: 2
East Oregon Player Count: 2
Current Turn/Phase: 1920, Development Phase
Last Battle Phase Update: Has not yet occurred
Updated entry.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 14, 2017, 08:27:53 pm »

Stupid ideas that I am too lazy to do anything with:
 Number 73348: Figment Wars: Snack?
  Shoulder Angels versus Shoulder Devils in a war to determine whether or not a blank-slate character eats a snack.
 The can produce arguments to push the character towards one decision or the other,
 Invent details of the character's background to have them lean more towards certain arguments or provide evidence for such,
 Or attack each other directly, but cartoon physics are in play, so death is mildly inconvenient, the same thing doesn't work twice, and irony is more consequential than injury.

Maybe have multiple paths, like guilt, greed, rationality, and emotive lanes with a requirement to hold two and a half or something...

Not really enough for a working game, but I thought the idea was mildly amusing so decided to share the concept. If it inspires something then so much the better.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 78