Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110963 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC
« Reply #810 on: September 25, 2017, 11:50:54 pm »

...aaanywaaays...

Shadow Race, the Arms Race about tactical espionage action, could definitely use some more players. While Merkan is less populated, I have been waiting on Astria for two days to propose a revision. So new players should feel encouraged to join either side!
It may not fill up the void that Wands Race leaves, but I can guarantee it'll fill up at least 7%.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: September 25, 2017, 11:54:52 pm »

The comment was akin to "we are better than you". Now, this can be a joke, akin to the vitriolic patriotism seen between the nations that is ultimately a form of roleplayiing. I just can't see the humour in this one though. I am trying to, but it just doesn't seem to be there. The alternative is extremely poor form. Given the extremely subjective nature of the game, there really are no bragging rights for winning, as there is always credible alternatives to competence. Unless your are playing the G.M. instead of the game, in which case you still fail to win the game because you aren't even playing.

So, in short, it is inappropriate to state superiority outside of jest in this instance, and ultimately Moskurg ceased to exist as a nation, so they certainly didn't win...

As for the "hard counters" thing, they were explicitly declared to be against the game's rules. Welcome to games! Indeed, the reimagining of stuff was a large part of the problem, Arstotzka's stuff was reimagined away from the things that would have shut down Moskurg's entire army because the rules suddenly changed. It would be like supersonic explosions suddenly becoming impossible in 1941... Of course, most of Moskurg's existing hard-counters continued to operate and it only really served as a barrier to new developments.

As to skyskiffs... How was it possible to survive piloting them?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: September 26, 2017, 01:15:37 am »

You know, I really wish I was able to read through Wands Race to see what occurred, but the turns being in the threads of each side rather than in the main out of character and there being no links to wherever they are leaves them a tad buried...

...aaanywaaays...

Shadow Race, the Arms Race about tactical espionage action, could definitely use some more players. While Merkan is less populated, I have been waiting on Astria for two days to propose a revision. So new players should feel encouraged to join either side!
It may not fill up the void that Wands Race leaves, but I can guarantee it'll fill up at least 7%.

UFoR is also low on players and while it was awhile ago, I believe I heard the Genestealer side of the Cult Race is lacking in players...

A thought occurs.  Is anyone in favor of having the information on active games expanded in the OP?  Specifically, having GMs estimate the number of players on each side (or just player count in the case of single-factions) as well as including the last date of updates?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: September 26, 2017, 03:49:03 am »

Relevant to this, Hive Race currently has a 7:3 distribution of players between the Hive and the League.  Humanity is grossly under-represented.  o_o
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: September 26, 2017, 04:13:29 am »

Relevant to this, Hive Race currently has a 7:3 distribution of players between the Hive and the League.  Humanity is grossly under-represented.  o_o

Sorry I missed yours.  Added it in with an attempted revamp of the Active Games section of the list.

------------------

Speaking of, anyone have any thoughts on the revamp to the OP I had done for the Active Games section?
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: September 26, 2017, 05:43:45 am »

I like it. Once some of the info is populated it'll be pretty useful. Will likely involve some heavy bookkeeping to keep up to date, but Arms Race GMs should be prepared for that already. :p

Also, I'd like to add Arms Race: Cinder Spires to the roster.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 26, 2017, 05:55:58 am »

Anyway, reading through the discussion here, and looking a bit at recent updates, it seems that I was indeed right.

GM decisions, and rule changes both formal and informal provided a significant advantage to the Moskurgian side.

Edit : I do still regret proposing the steam engine though. That eventually caused the setting to jump the shark.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 06:06:34 am by 10ebbor10 »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: September 26, 2017, 06:02:00 am »

I like it. Once some of the info is populated it'll be pretty useful. Will likely involve some heavy bookkeeping to keep up to date, but Arms Race GMs should be prepared for that already. :p

Also, I'd like to add Arms Race: Cinder Spires to the roster.

I'm going to be having the 'estimated' tag next to player count to allow for a bit of leeway between the listed numbers and the actual (though major changes should hopefully be noted) and both the Current Turn/Phase and Last Battle Phase Update (may change to 'Last Battle Report') would only need them to make a post here, so it really isn't much for heavy bookkeeping.  Heck, it's light enough I may wind up sorting them by most recently updated at the top when all of them are filled out.

Added.

Anyway, reading through the discussion here, and looking a bit at recent updates, it seems that I was indeed right.

GM decisions, and rule changes both formal and informal provided a significant advantage to the Moskurgian side.

Shameless plug, but if you are tired of dealing with factions, there's UFoR.  If you know anything about fortifications or tech that wasn't explored due to being countered by Earth militaries but may be useful against giant monsters, you can probably do quite a bit...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 06:08:34 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 26, 2017, 06:11:23 am »

Shameless plug, but if you are tired of dealing with factions, there's UFoR.  If you know anything about fortifications or tech that wasn't explored due to being countered by Earth militaries but may be useful against giant monsters, you can probably do quite a bit...

Minor hint. When introducing people to new things, don't assume they know the abbreviation.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 26, 2017, 06:21:26 am »

Minor hint. When introducing people to new things, don't assume they know the abbreviation.

Counterpoint: How many games in the Active Games section match that abbreviation?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: September 26, 2017, 06:28:34 am »

Counter-counter point  : People are lazy

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 26, 2017, 06:57:18 am »

Ancient-abacus-point. Technically, the proper English abbreviation and method of establishing an abbreviation would(if I recall correctly) be "United Forenia on Remnant(U.F.R.)" but everyone hates full-stops so what can you do?

More to the point, being on a different forum is a bit of a barrier to entry, but one assumes that there is a suitable population of self-promotion within its local climes so it is not as though it is trying to take our jobs.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #822 on: September 26, 2017, 02:28:21 pm »

RWBY is crap anyway.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 29, 2017, 01:09:35 am »

More to the point, being on a different forum is a bit of a barrier to entry, but one assumes that there is a suitable population of self-promotion within its local climes so it is not as though it is trying to take our jobs.

Not really...I mean, a lot of people do seem to be looking in on the thing, but very few of them are actively participating in the game.

Counter-counter point  : People are lazy

Did you just essentially insult yourself there?

Anyway, for the love of god, someone send a fortifications guy.  Or just someone who notices what I've beens saying about their defenses.  Despite several times stating their defense designs are insufficient for defense and giving them a free fortification design for the special design category, (while it is early) the current votes are all for just putting out defenses faster rather than making something actually new to put up.  For reference, all there are for emplacement designs are trenches and simple pillboxes.

Oh, and in other designs, there's one for an airship that calls for machine guns mounted on the bottom, sides, and top.  Is possible to have that configuration at all?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: September 29, 2017, 01:21:33 am »

Oh, and in other designs, there's one for an airship that calls for machine guns mounted on the bottom, sides, and top.  Is possible to have that configuration at all?

I don't see why it wouldn't be, as long as the thing is properly ballasted (IE, heavy stuff on bottom), but I'm only a Dabbling Airshipologist so don't take my words as law...

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 78