Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110988 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC
« Reply #795 on: September 25, 2017, 08:35:43 am »

Of course, we're going to ignore Kot and his ultranationalistic views on, well, everything, especially when they're wrong.

Arstotzka has been defeated. Good game, everybody, but always remember: Faith a lightning beats crappily-done magitech.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #796 on: September 25, 2017, 09:34:16 am »

Of course, we're going to ignore Kot and his ultranationalistic views on, well, everything, especially when they're wrong.
Wands Race isin't canon and I am right.
Arstotzka has been defeated. Good game, everybody, but always remember: Faith a lightning beats crappily-done magitech.
At least that we can agree on - Wands Race Arstotzkans were really crappy, especially since I wasn't helping them.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: September 25, 2017, 09:40:11 am »

What canon, and where was that decision posted?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: September 25, 2017, 09:42:13 am »

It absolutely is canon- all the events in Wands Race canonically take place in the ICAR universe in a series of books.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #799 on: September 25, 2017, 09:47:37 am »

It absolutely is canon- all the events in Wands Race canonically take place in the ICAR universe in a series of books.
Yeah that's the point. The book is Continentalist propganda, which explains why Arstotzka lost - the Moskurgs had to force balant lies and trash down the throats of new generation just to make the shameful defeat Moskurgs suffered at hands of Arstotzkans in real life more bearable for them. DO NOT LET THIS PROPAGANDA FOOL YOU, MAKE ARSTOTZKA GREAT AGAIN!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: September 25, 2017, 09:49:40 am »

Can't make it great again if it's only ever been a communist disaster of a nation.

Moskurg has personality. Arstotzka? You just have a crappy name scheme that nobody understands.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 25, 2017, 06:26:56 pm »

Hey, hey. As you like to say, Arstotzka hasn't been defeated so long as some of its citizens remain free and (hypothetically) alive- in SPAAACE.

Yeah, uh, some Arstotzkans escaped into space rather than submit to unification.

AGAIN.
The question is whether or not cat hybrids count as Arstotzkans.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 25, 2017, 06:54:33 pm »

The answer is that they do.

And Arstotzka has all manner of logistics, magecraft fields, communities, stories of survival on the tundra... Kegbog just had a rancid heap of verbal waste drowning under the delusion that it could qualify as artistic.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 25, 2017, 07:35:11 pm »

You did?

All we ever got to see was the perennial "Arstotzka stronk because Arstotzka" that sounds like you regurgitated partially-digested Russian propaganda, mixed with a foul sludge of "mathemagics" as an excuse for everything that happened.

I can only point out that both sides discovered valid ways to manipulate magic, and the winner was simply better at it.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 25, 2017, 07:59:42 pm »

Ultimately, the winner was the first to really peg down aerial combat.  Moskurg had something like 5 turns of close air support before Arstotzka could accurately defend themselves against manned attacks from the sky, and that was a long lead to catch up from.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 25, 2017, 08:01:56 pm »

Eh, as recently as, what, six turns before we entered their territory, Arstotzka was two zones away from victory.

They just NEVER LEARNED to follow up on technologies.

Seriously, whenever I or anyone else succeeded in pushing through a revamp of older techs, the effects were HUGE. Look at lightning! The first turn we re-unleashed it, the Arstotzkans lost on every front.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 25, 2017, 08:43:23 pm »

That's just false, though. Arstotzka's end-game technology was purely a result of religiously following up on new techs.

Hell, I think one of my biggest mistakes was pushing for the Lightning. We spent three designs and multiple revisions and an expense credit getting it to a state where it was useful at all. That could have been used for much more useful thing.
Crystal is the result of following up on it. We have spent so many designs and revisions on it, which is why it's better than adamantium.

As awful as the high-altitude bomber was, it was still following up on old tech. Expanding our air game. Basically all Arstotzka did was follow up on old tech.

But the real reason for Arstotzka's loss (other than luck/RnG) is, in my opinion, magitech.
Not that we did magitech, but because of the game's rules surrounding it.

Spoiler: Why? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 08:49:23 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 25, 2017, 08:48:58 pm »

I can only point out the Protector.

And the other direct lines of tech you didn't follow up on.

We were raining lightning across the whole BATTLEFIELD (And every Mage and above was doing it) and yet you guys had stopped developing fire-walls to go run off and play with magitech.

Had you moved to a new fire attack capable of incinerating whole swathes of battlefield, you might've won. Well, gained a lot of ground, which may have been the same thing.

Had you followed up on the Protector design, you might've had tanks resistant to anything we might've made, forcing us to expend design(s) on a counter to stop the bleeding, as it were.

Had you cheapened your guns earlier, so that every man had one a lot sooner, it might've helped.

I mean, the list goes on and Moskurg is equally guilty. Mob consciousness, I'm afraid. But hindsight's 20/20, so I think it's time to pack up and say "Good game all" and move on with our lives.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 25, 2017, 09:29:40 pm »

I can only point out that both sides discovered valid ways to manipulate magic, and the winner was simply better at it.
I am not getting the joke here. Is it appropriate to respond to this comment with an honest analysis?

That's just false, though. Arstotzka's end-game technology was purely a result of religiously following up on new techs.
Oh verily. Remember how many actions we spent getting hand-held rifles? Unless the descriptions of the accomplishment were sarcastic I am pretty sure that it was a serious effort every step of the way.

Had you moved to a new fire attack capable of incinerating whole swathes of battlefield, you might've won. Well, gained a lot of ground, which may have been the same thing.

Had you followed up on the Protector design, you might've had tanks resistant to anything we might've made, forcing us to expend design(s) on a counter to stop the bleeding, as it were.
We were repeatedly told that fire did nothing in the presence of adamantine, and that adamantine was cheap as dirt and implemented everywhere. On that point, we had a spell that devastated entire swathes of battlefields with cold, and it was completely annulled by adamantine being universally distributed on everything.

Protectors could never have been immune to everything. That would have been a hard-counter, and hard counters stopped being introduced at that point. There was nothing at all that could have prevented them from succumbing to concerted bombardment, and the things were too slow to be of any real relevance to the air war, which basically dictated everything because it was literally impossible to have enough dakka to prevent overstuffed whales filled with unstable explosives from lazily drifting past until directly overhead, because hard-counters stopped existing.

Arstotzka had lots of trouble developing magitech, but once developed it was comparatively powerful, which turned out to be problematic so to entrance difficulty and effectiveness dropped, which was a good thing, but kind of hurt. Moskurg kept developing hard-counters, which kept rendering long-term projects with lots of actions completely irrelevant. This was no fun so hard-counters stopped existing shortly after Moskurg easily modified their antimagic to have no effect at all on their own stuff and completely disable every magical element of Arstotzka's forces, which meant fighting blimps with swords...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 25, 2017, 09:50:17 pm »

I went back to the VERY early game, RAM. As in, before adamantine was thing.
As for the "hard counters" thing, well, welcome to war. Reimagine your stuff.

Ah yes, the antimagic trick. Truly a wonder of the battlefield---we made it have a 5m or so exclusion zone---the antimagic had user-definable shape but did not effect anything within 5m, and was then deployed from Skyskiffs because you relied so heavily on magic to shoot us down.

Anyway, as for the comment you commented on, that was an honest assessment---we tried different things (As nations), but ultimately only one group could win.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 78