Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110987 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC
« Reply #780 on: September 01, 2017, 06:46:33 pm »

My personal opinion is that you are drastically over-estimating the effectiveness of dropping a single nanobot on an enemy planet and expecting it to hit critical mass without being destroyed first.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: September 01, 2017, 06:55:11 pm »

Well, it's one object. So small it can't be seen. Dropped in a swarm, and missed as the rest were destroyed..

And it hits the ground, and immediately does what it was built to do: It drags together molecules, and builds a copy of itself.

Two is not many, I'll grant you that. But add a bit of time, and suddenly, there is a small group of them, building more as time goes buy, and they're digging around underground, invisible, perhaps even mostly undetectable, until suddenly there's a billion of them swarming up out of the ground to consume people. Yes, they're destroyed, but some of the nanos stayed underground.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: September 01, 2017, 09:31:09 pm »

Digging is going to be difficult. They aint going to get no solar down there, and things get pretty low energy after you get under the topsoil, which itself is pretty low energy compared to anything resembling fuel. They also have zero leverage, so compacted soil and stone is going to involve a significant extraction fee. You can't convert something into something else without liberating it from being what it was. So at the end of the day you need to be able to break things and convert them, and that means power, and not a small amount of it. Also note that their small size means low storage, and standby-mode burns some energy, so you are on a time-limit to maintain an energy income or else you will turn off for good. Burying them for long enough with no link to an energy source counts as a kill, they will turn off and after a few months lack the power to turn on again if their situation improves. So a particularly intense World-War Two artillery bombardment would be enough to break their networks and bury or destroy their individual elements, I would expect it to be an effective countermeasure if you didn't have anything more pervasive like just irradiating the area.

Radiation is likely to be your go-to response really. Just track any incoming projectiles and blast them with something highly penetrative. Lead doesn't stop everything and enough rads will break anything, starting with the most sophisticated elements...

Once you get a swarm together then you can start construction a mind of some sort, which can then coordinate energy raids, likely hunting animals, and energy networks to transmit energy to your mining operation, solar if you think you can get away with it or hunting if you think you can catch anything with measures that won't reveal your presence. Then you need to spread like crazy, because once they find you they can kill you. They may need to reapply the napalm a few times to be certain, but it will work. But unfortunately you are up against psychics, and all they need to do is pull off a "bad vibes" effect and they can start triangulating all your incursion sites and start cleansing the area until their psychic senses give the all-clear.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good technology. Machines built from the stuff would be capable of insane field-repairs, the efforts the enemy need to go to to sanitise an area after a battle would be significant, and its ability to irritate as you constantly throw invasion packets across known space would be effective, but they are extremely far from unstoppable. Mostly, though, they would be slow. People love to show stuff just melting in media, but likely it would take a great many revisions to get something that effective. Most grey-goo in media seems to have many many many generations per second, and I would expect it to be more like a couple of generations per day when you start out. Don't be surprised if someone falls naked into the vat of grey goo, climbs out, goes through decontamination, and spends a couple of days with symptoms resembling sunburn before being back no worse for wear.

Certainly worth pursuing, but nowhere near an autowin.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: September 01, 2017, 09:48:56 pm »

I WOULD be surprised if that person did so, however.

Depending on the depth of the vat, of course.

Things on the molecular scale happen faster than we can track. That's just how scale works. Any self-replicating machine is capable of terrifying feats of destruction, because there is no waste. They consume all the matter available to them, and nothing is inedible.

When I say that they dig in, I mean they create more nanobots. Yes, some of the dirt is moved, but it's mostly a chain of nanos tunneling under the surface for the material they need. Yes, it will take a while, but not as long as you might think. Exponential increase, after all.

Tunneling isn't even the best option, it's just one that occurred to me. You could also use air-based nanos and lots of solar power for micro-sized ion thrusters.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: September 01, 2017, 10:23:27 pm »

Essentially, two entities in a box, both controlled by different forums. What happens?

Spoiler: Verdant Colonials (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Architects Many (click to show/hide)

It's a bit less hard on the  Science hardness scale but I thought its cool. I am gonna add more as time goes by, but this is what I got right now.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: September 06, 2017, 09:13:10 pm »

So, I've been toying with the idea of making a Spy/Operative arms race. Though it turns out there's a bit of difficulty in determining the exact mechanics, as it doesn't exactly follow the traditional arms race mechanics.
The number one problem is conflict. The two sides need something to fight over and they need tangible benefits/feedback as they win or lose, but coming up with something that works with the ideas of spies/operatives is a bit tough.

Right now the working idea is that some superpower (almost definitely the British Empire) withdraws from the traditional small landmass at approximately 1870, leaving a bunch of free land between two feuding-but-at-peace nations.  The nations naturally start settling this land, and want to capture more land without resorting to violence for approval-related reasons.
So players are the heads of their nations' newly-formed espionage bureaus with the task of using espionage to secure their nation's control over all of the new land.
But this doesn't really make too much sense as that means that land would be bloodlessly-yet-hostilely switched over year after year. All via espionage.

Anyone have suggestions for things to have the players realistically fight over using espionage?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: September 07, 2017, 08:53:45 am »

The various independent companies that control the resources, influence each other and other things are already on the islands. THe players goal is to either destroy the companies and put htier own company back in (Having government facilities in neutral territory is a no-no) and protect your own infrastructure from attack. Shadow wars, such as small but elite groups of individuals who assault holdings to destroy finanncial resources are also possible.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: September 08, 2017, 01:50:45 pm »

So I've once again been bitten with the inspiration bug, except probably closer to the plagiarism bug.
'Cos I want to once again make a Warhammer game.

Problem is, I've got two ideas swirling and only really the time/playerbase to run one.
I realise there's a bias because of this thread's occupants, but I was hoping on getting some help with the decision.

So, here goes: they're both genestealer cult themed, 'cos.

So, which seems like it'd be more fun to play?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: September 08, 2017, 04:25:41 pm »

I think that the Cultist Clash could be fun.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: September 09, 2017, 03:20:20 am »

Darn, I'm terrible at game balance.
Well, giving it a swing anyway.

Edit: for anyone interested, our xenomorph team is lean on members.
Seems these are generally destined to be lopsided.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:35:50 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: September 25, 2017, 03:19:26 am »

Finally went around and updated the first post (if I've missed any, kindly mention them).  I don't know if the Genestealer situation has improved, but I know there are very few players on the United Forenia on Remnant game.  Given that there are five designs and three revisions per turn, the fact there's only three people is a bit of a problem.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: September 25, 2017, 08:22:10 am »

Wands Race... is over! Good game. And evicted included a sequel hook in the epilogue...
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #792 on: September 25, 2017, 08:31:56 am »

I want to take a while to clarify that Wands Race is not canon, and there is not a single instance in which Moskurg could have beat Arstotzka.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: September 25, 2017, 08:34:35 am »

Too bad for you that this is canon. Just wait for the next ICAR update :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: September 25, 2017, 08:34:50 am »

I want to take a while to clarify that Wands Race is not canon, and there is not a single instance in which Moskurg could have beat Arstotzka.
Hey, hey. As you like to say, Arstotzka hasn't been defeated so long as some of its citizens remain free and (hypothetically) alive- in SPAAACE.

Yeah, uh, some Arstotzkans escaped into space rather than submit to unification.

AGAIN.
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 78