Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110980 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC
« Reply #300 on: June 17, 2016, 08:57:31 pm »

Well, that can be helped with by non-reflective ships, radar absorbing materials, shielded exhaust, no nuclear generators and a bunch of other things... Atleast in harder scifi settings.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 18, 2016, 12:01:25 am »

I am pretty sure that the only stealth that you get in harder settings is loads of insulation and no thrust after you pass a major gravity well or already know exactly where the enemy is. Even that tends to be pushing it.

Really, you need to soften up the science fiction a good deal to stop multiple-page arguments over speculative physics...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 18, 2016, 03:26:33 am »

I am pretty sure that the only stealth that you get in harder settings is loads of insulation and no thrust after you pass a major gravity well or already know exactly where the enemy is. Even that tends to be pushing it.

Really, you need to soften up the science fiction a good deal to stop multiple-page arguments over speculative physics...
Which means a blanket ebbor ban as he tend to lawyer through these very extensively.

Sorry!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 18, 2016, 10:46:07 am »

For now I'm seriously thinking about hosting one double-blind arms race solely on Bay12.

Proposed rules:

- Double blindness. There will be no battle reports on the main thread. Instead, battle reports will be written in one's perspective on their respective threads.
-- For example, Side A introduced a 12' long gun. Side B will be told that their ships and troops are bombarded from afar, without being explicitly told that they are being shelled by long guns.
- To compensate, Each side will be able to ask one question about the other side to the GM, after their revise turns. In general, you want to ask very specifically. If you just ask for what kind of weapon are bombarding you, chances is that you get "something capable of bombarding you".
- There will still be a main thread and might be competitions from time to time for you to throw salt with, but beware that you might divulge information (or mislead your opponents) from posting.
- Some persistence of resources: If a gun uses tungsten penetrators and its supply dried up, chances are that people will make makeshift ammo with steel or anything hard, before disposing of them together. In other words, there will be a grace period of 1 turn on lost resources, though it will always lose a tie.

Comments/problems/ideas?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 18, 2016, 03:54:03 pm »

I would prefer that the "asking question" bit be handled as "try to get your sides spies to tell you stuff, and see if A) they know it and/or B) they are willing to pass it on", along with a few things just being news(for instance, side A builds a boat they cant get to the ocean without having it travel by rail, tying up a good deal of traffic and getting commented on in the news that side B can see alongside fluff bits about the world at large).
 Also, hosting each sides stuff somewhere off the forums to limit cheating. Say, each side has a Mumble chat room that is used for that side. Because while one can hope that people dont cheat, giving them the chance to is asking for trouble.
Highly Opinionated Fool

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 18, 2016, 06:57:36 pm »

I would prefer that the "asking question" bit be handled as "try to get your sides spies to tell you stuff, and see if A) they know it and/or B) they are willing to pass it on", along with a few things just being news(for instance, side A builds a boat they cant get to the ocean without having it travel by rail, tying up a good deal of traffic and getting commented on in the news that side B can see alongside fluff bits about the world at large).
This is what I'm trying to simulate.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 18, 2016, 07:15:07 pm »

Well, point being is I personally dont like the idea of having the players ask specific things. It either leaves them not asking the right question and thus missing something important or it has them asking generic questions like "What does the entire enemy force consist of?"
Highly Opinionated Fool

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 18, 2016, 08:41:18 pm »

Well, point being is I personally dont like the idea of having the players ask specific things. It either leaves them not asking the right question and thus missing something important or it has them asking generic questions like "What does the entire enemy force consist of?"
Its up to the player to deduce what the enemy has. The "as GM a question" works essentially as a watered down version of "sending spies to investigate something".

Vague questions will give you vague but more truthful answers. Specific questions will give you specific answers but only if you know what you are asking for.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 19, 2016, 02:40:13 am »

So it's a game of 20 questions with a literal genie? If done well that could be amusing but it poses higher risks of salt.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 19, 2016, 03:27:04 am »

So it's a game of 20 questions with a literal genie? If done well that could be amusing but it poses higher risks of salt.
Somehow spying is sometimes exactly like that.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 19, 2016, 03:00:55 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158852.0

I delivered. Need more players on both sides.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 19, 2016, 04:46:28 pm »

May want to have the starting resourses flipped slightly, to lessen steamrolling.

Also, for naval stuff, can the navy capture stuff one one side (say, MANO has dominance of the seas in their entirerty and starts landing in CHSH's starting resource territories) or the armies cut off the other sides ports?(so say CHSH captures MANO's outlying stuff, cutting off their navy)

Or do the starting resourse bits even have ports?

Finally (for map stuff), can people advance from the center sectors directly to the enemy's capital?

Oh, and I see you are giving people in 1910 stuff from 1830. Joy. Also, sloops with only a single gun? And those the warships? What? Hell, even merchantman carried something like four guns minimum, and war sloops typically had something like 18 guns at the turn of the 19th century.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 20, 2016, 12:04:09 pm »

Thinking of running a new arms race game, though I was wondering if people would actually be interested in another.  It'll be a bit different than the standard, as rather than two sides each with a number of players on them, I will have multiple sides with one player representing that side's design team.  Considering I have a problem with determining which is actually in the lead, this should make it so I can run it a bit quicker.  As well, I'll be adding a rule to the revision phase wherein you are unable to modify the design you made that turn, to allow players to send through both their design and revision phases at the same time (via PM, of course).  Thoughts?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 20, 2016, 12:25:45 pm »

I see one potential issue in that one person late can bog down the whole game.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 78