Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110981 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC
« Reply #285 on: June 15, 2016, 11:25:22 pm »

Anyone want to run a comparison of civilian life between Forenia in 1927 and Turbados in 1927?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 15, 2016, 11:46:30 pm »

Well, lessee... Morkurg had buses, guns in many places, mail aircraft, radios everywhere and a war museum. Arstotzka had crabs, motorbikes and trucks in many places. Parades, snowplows, armored trains, sharpshooting clubs, rockets, and shiny shiny propaganda.

Meanwhile, the sushi eaters have fake radios, no cars, strict rules against just about anything and everything, stolen military equipment and a fair amount of propaganda. also propane stoves, electric lights, and an absurd dislike of using guns in combat. The booze swilling pirates have many cars, well armed tax collectors, jsut about no laws besides taxes, much smog, traffic worse than the worst modern city, long distance phones, payphones, electric fixtures and appliances, public PA systems called radios, "Catholic" churches, and propaganda almost as shiny as Arstotzkas.

So, I think we are beating them at the moment, though I do like Sensei's writing style in the new one more than the old ones.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 16, 2016, 06:20:44 am »

Seriously a SB vs Bay12 Arms race would be very interesting.

More thoughts on this:

- Bay12 and SB will exchange someone who acts as GM on the other side.
- Both GMs will decide what the war will be like.
- Sadly, the best thing about Arms Race is always the excessive salt rubbed around. Perhaps a bot can help moving posts between fora.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 16, 2016, 07:11:45 am »

Well presumably there'd be two main threads so people can be salty/apply salt to the other team.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 16, 2016, 08:09:55 am »

The game would also have the unique opportunity to not allow any communication between sides, except perhaps a smack talk telegram passed over by the GM. I'm curious how that will work.

I've also been thinking about a space-age Arms Race. It would take place across a small cluster of systems linked by wormholes. (Or possibly just one system? It's not set in stone yet). The engineers would work on warships and the modules associated with them, and possibly even invasion tech such as dropships and fire arms. As any space faring nation would easily be able to acquire resources from celestial bodies, the main resource would be Labour, representing the man hours involved in making such large vessels coupled with the costs of transporting resources off world or from distant rocks to the ship yards. There would be other rare resources to acquire in the field as well.

I imagine the expense system would have to be reworked also, due to the change in scale.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 16, 2016, 08:42:53 am »

The game would also have the unique opportunity to not allow any communication between sides, except perhaps a smack talk telegram passed over by the GM. I'm curious how that will work.

I've also been thinking about a space-age Arms Race. It would take place across a small cluster of systems linked by wormholes. (Or possibly just one system? It's not set in stone yet). The engineers would work on warships and the modules associated with them, and possibly even invasion tech such as dropships and fire arms. As any space faring nation would easily be able to acquire resources from celestial bodies, the main resource would be Labour, representing the man hours involved in making such large vessels coupled with the costs of transporting resources off world or from distant rocks to the ship yards. There would be other rare resources to acquire in the field as well.

I imagine the expense system would have to be reworked also, due to the change in scale.
Oh yes. After the GMs have decided the outcome of the turns, they will write up their turns separately, after the results are decided, in the perspective of the respective side. People will now need to guess or second guess what happened to the other side, and thus have less resources to plan out the game.

Maybe each side can also have a chance to ask the GM a question about the other side. GM decides on how accurate an answer they will get according to difficulty.

Will seriously consider CO-GMing a game in this format.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 08:45:22 am by evilcherry »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 16, 2016, 12:37:38 pm »

Well, I know that Sensei is planning one... And I am doing one at this moment... It was initially planned to be a B12vsSomeone else, but the server I tried using has just about noone there for anything besides the main game.
Highly Opinionated Fool

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 17, 2016, 06:12:17 am »

Well, I know that Sensei is planning one... And I am doing one at this moment... It was initially planned to be a B12vsSomeone else, but the server I tried using has just about noone there for anything besides the main game.
I would like to know if
 - plan is still active
 - there is guarantee of some playerbase
 - anything relevant

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 17, 2016, 06:41:51 am »

A problem with Sci-fi and basically any setting that doesn't use real life, is that players have no idea what can and what can not work.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 17, 2016, 01:57:20 pm »

A problem with Sci-fi and basically any setting that doesn't use real life, is that players have no idea what can and what can not work.

Which is similar to what would be the case if they were actually engineers, you could then have discovering the various rules that govern this world to be part of the game.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 17, 2016, 02:07:42 pm »

Then you either have to tell people "this suggestion cant be done" before the turn or else give them more than one design action per turn. Otherwise it jsut gets unfair.
Highly Opinionated Fool

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 17, 2016, 03:57:41 pm »

I would split it up into theory which is speculative and refinement which is dealing with the known theories. Throw in some alternatives to "you fail and get nothing" perhaps: "you fail but get this similar thing" or "you fail but discover that these things are possible"... That way you would limit the gap produced by invalid projects and ensure that all teams really ought to be able to produce something new to react to every turn...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 17, 2016, 04:11:04 pm »

Well, also you have to deal with alot more stuff. Hell, just throwing in naval aspects that one has to pay attention to into Sensei's game system(particularly with the one change per revision bit) is almsot enough to make it a "get a thing to do then and leave it for the rest of the game because we have NO TIME AT ALL TO REPLACE IT BECAUSE MY GOD WE HAVE TO DO THIS AND THIS AND so on." Throw in space (and FTL travel of any from is also going to do that) and it gets even worse.

I mean, can you imagine one side trying to build this one sorta thing for several turns, with it turning out they actually cant do it in any way shape or form while the other side develops new things that work and lead to a steamroll?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 17, 2016, 04:21:28 pm »

Maybe you could get around it by adding a 'research' phase where you decide three avenues of research to get new tech, having the design phase be where you implement tech you discovered?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 17, 2016, 06:00:41 pm »

And you need away to get around the poblems of a sci fi setting like Relativistic attacks, the lack of stealth in space.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 78