Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110926 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC
« Reply #195 on: April 21, 2016, 04:11:06 pm »

What about Spacebattles?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 21, 2016, 04:21:09 pm »

TVTropes? They'll love this stuff.
Possible, but oh my god their forum layout is ugly. That wouldn't necessarily put a halt to things though. I'm not sure if they have drop-down spoilers, or if the spoiler tag there just blacks out text. That could make it hard to organize.

What about Spacebattles?
That looks like a nice one, never heard of them before, but they to be active and not too strict, as well as having the necessary forum features. Maybe I can even use that guy's vote counting tool.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 21, 2016, 05:05:15 pm »

What about Spacebattles?
That looks like a nice one, never heard of them before, but they to be active and not too strict, as well as having the necessary forum features. Maybe I can even use that guy's vote counting tool.

At very least the threadmarking system would prove to be stupid useful.

Oh, as a thought, you might be able to prevent the potential of weapons being designed to counter Forenia by not mentioning that there will be a conflict between Forenia and Turbados in the future.  If you are careful in presenting it, it might be possible to keep them unaware Forenia was run, drastically reducing the potential bias reading through that would cause.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 21, 2016, 06:05:10 pm »

I did consider that, actually. However, I'm probably going to want to link to the original game as an example of play, and to get people interested. I also like the idea of mentioning historical events that were affected by the Forenia game, and even competing with the sale of Forenian arms when they do try to sell guns abroad. Maybe I'll post in their game discussion first and if people seem on board with the idea, I'll run it without mentioning the Forenia game, only showing it to them if I feel it's necessary to generate interest.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2016, 06:17:03 pm »

But we know that and if we play that game, we might want to sabotage or gear up against Forenia.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2016, 06:20:42 pm »

Same sort of thing as not going into the other teams thread.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2016, 06:48:36 pm »

Yep, there's only so much I can do on that front. A tangible risk exists, but it's not going to stop me from running the game. If I see anyone blatantly saying "Well, recoil less rifles worked great in Forenia" then I'll put the kibosh on it, and gently remind everyone not to metagame. Beyond that, I'm sure the occasional person taking a peek isn't going to ruin the game- just like not looking at the other team's thread.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2016, 06:54:08 pm »

I did consider that, actually. However, I'm probably going to want to link to the original game as an example of play, and to get people interested. I also like the idea of mentioning historical events that were affected by the Forenia game, and even competing with the sale of Forenian arms when they do try to sell guns abroad. Maybe I'll post in their game discussion first and if people seem on board with the idea, I'll run it without mentioning the Forenia game, only showing it to them if I feel it's necessary to generate interest.

In my experience, they have a potentially unhealthy obsession with weapons.  I don't think you will be lacking in people.  Although, with their Play-by-Post subforum being relatively small compared to other boards, there may prove to be an issue there.

But we know that and if we play that game, we might want to sabotage or gear up against Forenia.

I personally think we should stay out of the game for a large part, so that our biases aren't introduced and they run through the game with the same level of experience.  To use up our time while we wait, I could get back to work on the Stone Age Design game (smaller than the SE asia game, so lack of time shouldn't be affected) and we could determine which weapons of the combined Arstotzka/Moskurg arsenals should be kept.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2016, 07:38:58 pm »

Seems to me that a stone age game would be rather tedious, since it makes me think that it would be along the lines of "OK, lets use this design of sword inorder to stab people" and then sit around for a while. Unless its something like every turn is a decade or something even greater, there wouldn't be that much of a chance to have to change things to react to new tech aswell...
 Well, without breaking history.

Thinking about it, the first time that a working design game could be set (atleast, in my view) is the American Civil War era, or just before. Before then most weapon techs seem to have taken a century here or there to get worked on, and it was also when a fair deal of industrial processes where helping to allow gunsmiths to do more and more interesting things.
Highly Opinionated Fool

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2016, 08:18:44 pm »

I would see lots of potential in something along the lines of Ancient Greece. The elements are al pretty understandable, mechanisms and formations and pointy things and the odd tension-spring or counterweight... You should probably throw in a couple of physics abnormalities( or perhaps some form of immutable taboos) to prevent historical devices from functioning to their full effectiveness to give people a reason to think up new things. And there is a whole world of entities to pick fights with, If you need something different, then just have the enemy ally with someone who has elephants, or maybe they capture the legendary hydra and if you don't find some special method to defeat it then it will eat half your army before going down and then your neighbours will all start to notice how tasty you must be...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 21, 2016, 08:37:21 pm »

Seems to me that a stone age game would be rather tedious, since it makes me think that it would be along the lines of "OK, lets use this design of sword inorder to stab people" and then sit around for a while. Unless its something like every turn is a decade or something even greater, there wouldn't be that much of a chance to have to change things to react to new tech aswell...
 Well, without breaking history.

Thinking about it, the first time that a working design game could be set (atleast, in my view) is the American Civil War era, or just before. Before then most weapon techs seem to have taken a century here or there to get worked on, and it was also when a fair deal of industrial processes where helping to allow gunsmiths to do more and more interesting things.

I'm getting around it by being simply ambiguous as possible about how long each turn is occurring over besides 'generations'.  Likely going to remain that way until someone makes a calendar, and even then it likely wouldn't be equivalent to our own calendar for awhile.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 21, 2016, 08:40:35 pm »

I've gone and made a post on Spacebattles testing the waters.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 21, 2016, 09:25:03 pm »

I'd prefer http://forums.sufficientvelocity.com to spacebattles for Bay12 opponent. They seem to have more active games and more creative players... But I think it is too late to offer....

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 21, 2016, 09:28:16 pm »

It isn't too late, no. I'll have a look there when I have time. If I really like it I might run it there, and the SB folks could still say "no three-thread games" or just not take interest.

Edit: I'll probably go ahead on Spacebattles. I got a couple people saying it would be OK. Having looked around, Sufficient Velocity's RP forum is admittedly about twice as active as Spacebattles', but that said, SB is about twice as active as Bay 12 in that department. I think it will be a decent fit. I will add a link when I have written the OP sometime tonight or tomorrow night. Now to start combing through the old thread to see where I left the rules dissertation on Armor penetration which I somehow never linked in the OP..
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:39:07 am by Sensei »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 24, 2016, 07:57:12 pm »

Well, one and a half weapon design games arent enough for me. As such, I plan on doing a cross-forum game shortly, with one side being on these forums and the other being elsewhere. Probably the spacebattles forums. To help keep it differentiated from Sensei's planned game of that, its going to take place in a different setting. Probably a post-cataclymsic subway system under a rather damaged and irradiated city.

As for my current weapon design game, I think I have tried to do toomuch toofast, and assuch I think its time that I end it.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 78