Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110831 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race Hub/General OOC
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2016, 03:35:05 pm »

Made a short update of the OP to list active Arms Race games and made an update to the Arms Race - Southeast Asia thread so that it has the ruleset it uses in it.  Going to work on adding in other weapon design games to the OP of this thread after I get some work done on a Dwarf Fortress mod.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2016, 10:34:45 pm »

What are the ways of getting more resources? Improving logistics as usual? In last games it was rather important to spend design efforts on civilian stuff just for that and I can't say I liked that.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2016, 11:59:42 pm »

So, can we get a count of the engies on both sides? Funk, Kot and I joined New Guinea, how many we have arrayed against us?

Also, can a lurker or two find it in their hearts to join us? Preferably two.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2016, 12:19:20 am »

What are the ways of getting more resources? Improving logistics as usual? In last games it was rather important to spend design efforts on civilian stuff just for that and I can't say I liked that.

Civilian industries of both sides will take ideas based upon your designs and outside ideas to improve themselves to provide more and more resources over time.  Both sides will be increasing at the same rate, though, so don't worry about that.  As for logistics, the only one you will have to worry about is getting your soldiers to the front lines faster, as I will be doing some basic tracking of their positions.

Oh, as forgot to mention earlier, the size of both militaries increases equally based upon the results of a 1d10 roll each turn.  I may occasionally run a propaganda event where one side can increase their gains by a small amount, though nothing unbalanced.

So, can we get a count of the engies on both sides? Funk, Kot and I joined New Guinea, how many we have arrayed against us?

Also, can a lurker or two find it in their hearts to join us? Preferably two.

The Federation of Malaysia has the exact same count of individuals as you, actually.  Count should grow as the game goes on, hopefully.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2016, 05:31:22 am »

Quote from: rules
Results
The following chart is a simple list of what different rolls would provide as a result with the rolls.  Sabotage causes a -1 to the roll.
0        +3 Resource Cost, +3 Problems
1    +2 Resource Cost, +2 Problems
2    +1 Resource Cost, +2 Problems
3    +2 Resource Cost, +1 Problems
4    +1 Resource Cost, +1 Problems
5    +1 Resource Cost
6    Just as Planned
I am not sure it will work well for revisions. Basically revision here = add one problem and one resource of cost to your design.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2016, 11:02:02 am »

Quote from: rules
Results
The following chart is a simple list of what different rolls would provide as a result with the rolls.  Sabotage causes a -1 to the roll.
0        +3 Resource Cost, +3 Problems
1    +2 Resource Cost, +2 Problems
2    +1 Resource Cost, +2 Problems
3    +2 Resource Cost, +1 Problems
4    +1 Resource Cost, +1 Problems
5    +1 Resource Cost
6    Just as Planned
I am not sure it will work well for revisions. Basically revision here = add one problem and one resource of cost to your design.

Looks like I had forgotten to add that revisions add a +1 to the roll, making it a 1 in 3 chance of things going as planned rather than a 1 in 6.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2016, 11:04:39 am »

Eh, revisions should use a different chart at the very least, given that they're there mostly to solve the problems in existing equipment.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2016, 02:52:17 pm »

May be a fair deal of time before I can get the rolls.  D&D session I am in is today.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2016, 04:18:06 pm »

Going to have a standard infantry unit representing roughly 1000 soldiers (specialized being less in number, but able to project equivalent force).  It's a bit small right now, but both countries are fairly small and the military will be growing fairly quickly.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2016, 04:25:16 pm »

Will we have the chance to actually specify our unit organisation later?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2016, 04:49:34 pm »

So, each infantry unit is roughly a battalion? Interesting.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2016, 04:50:40 pm »

Very much on the upper end of that atleast. Those kinds of numbers are typically found in regiments.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2016, 04:53:01 pm »

Arent regiments roughly 2000-4000? Atleast, these days, when they are actual combat units?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2016, 04:58:18 pm »

Will we have the chance to actually specify our unit organisation later?

You can send messages to the generals of the military stressing usage of certain designs that will bias deployment to units armed with that equipment.  Precise deployment is not within your organization's mandate, but given enough successful designs that boost effectiveness of the soldiers, they will start to believe that you will know best with deployments.  Of course, this is a double-edged sword and they will listen to you less and less if you wind up providing ineffective or detrimental designs.

So, each infantry unit is roughly a battalion? Interesting.

It's actually equal to the lower end of regiments at the time of the second World War (Edit: Also the upper end of battalions of the time, too).  Should note this is only for this game, though.  I had used unit so it could be scalable depending upon the size of the nation you are in charge of.  If someone uses the system with you in charge of large nations, the <unit> designation could represent numbers far larger than that (ex. a far future game where interstellar empires clash could have each unit represent millions of soldiers).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:01:23 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2016, 05:00:23 pm »

Battalions typically cap off around 800 men.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 78