Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110835 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race Hub
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2016, 11:06:15 pm »

snip
I like this balanced layout  but again I suggest to add AA weapons to the mix.

Give Bumblebee AT/AA for federation, AC-18 for republic.  While those weapons are rather different in role both are rather good for early Anti-aircraft use and can be used against ground targets. Federation will get more anti-tank power, while Republic will have more anti-soft target power. Different but balanced.

Alternatively you can  give both a more modern 20mm automatic united Florenia AA gun based on a rather ancient AC-18 Anyway total lack of anti-aircraft weapons is wrong for island nations that were in war with Japan.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2016, 11:09:30 pm »

Looks decent. It's probably for the better that you've pared back the number of equipment items. The older game was at risk of getting out of hand with the variety of different small arms and artillery pieces and other items to account for. I was starting to think that if I continued much further forward, I would have to simplify the game somehow or focus on say, just the air force or just the navy.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2016, 11:36:26 pm »

Alternatively you can  give both a more modern 20mm automatic united Florenia AA gun based on a rather ancient AC-18 Anyway total lack of anti-aircraft weapons is wrong for island nations that were in war with Japan.

I think I shall do this, but use a descendant of the Bumblebee rather than the AC-18, so I can use a descendant of the Arstotzkan Semi-automatic pistol and have the 'combined' category remain balanced in terms of the location of origin the designs that inspired the descendants came from.

Going to put up the three threads relatively soon.  Thinking of having this essentially serve as the OOC thread while the International thread of the game only displays the turns for ease of reading.

Looks decent. It's probably for the better that you've pared back the number of equipment items. The older game was at risk of getting out of hand with the variety of different small arms and artillery pieces and other items to account for. I was starting to think that if I continued much further forward, I would have to simplify the game somehow or focus on say, just the air force or just the navy.

I'm likely going to attempt to circumvent the large lists you had to deal with by having the old tech automatically phase out with a new/better design (units system should help in keeping track of when something's been completely phased out) and may help focus things by having the generals send through some requests for new equipment.  Various treaties that prevent development of certain weapons will most certainly come into play (At dates that will be earlier or later than in our timeline or even ones that haven't been done in real life, so foreknowledge of treaties won't mean much), and if things start getting specialized for Jungle environments, I may have the leaders get involved in conflicts within Africa, the Middle East, or other regions to shake things up.  And let's not forget the rogue giant mech prototypes of indeterminate capability that are running around in this region of the world...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2016, 01:52:08 am »

Will any of the old "design bureau" games be considered for inclusion?

It'd be nice to see an actual cold war sometime, with lots of espionage and threats but no actual combat unless things turn hot. It would probably mostly rely upon looking like you are dangerous while trying to conserve your resources until you are ready to end the blasphemous swine and also facing the troubles of keeping the populace willing to go to war but unwilling to demand one... Possible outcomes would involve decisive first-and-final strikes, a protracted war reducing all parties into non-entity status and being overcome by external forces, or one or other party being driven to economic ruin trying to compete with an over-estimation of their enemy...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2016, 12:32:41 pm »

I have the threads started.  International is locked, as I will be utilizing the strategy I mentioned earlier of having it only contain the turns, and OOC conversations could occur here.  Each time a turn is posted, I'll likely post a mention in here and each of the design threads.

International Turn Thread

Federation of Malaysia Thread

Republic of New Guinea Thread

Will any of the old "design bureau" games be considered for inclusion?

It'd be nice to see an actual cold war sometime, with lots of espionage and threats but no actual combat unless things turn hot. It would probably mostly rely upon looking like you are dangerous while trying to conserve your resources until you are ready to end the blasphemous swine and also facing the troubles of keeping the populace willing to go to war but unwilling to demand one... Possible outcomes would involve decisive first-and-final strikes, a protracted war reducing all parties into non-entity status and being overcome by external forces, or one or other party being driven to economic ruin trying to compete with an over-estimation of their enemy...

That's generally what this will likely turn into when each side has control of a WMD.  Right now, conventional conflicts are possible, but that may not be true for long.

As for the other design bureau games, I'll have them mentioned with their systems in the OP if I knew what all of them were.  I know Aseaheru has one, but the rest are unknown to me at the current time.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2016, 12:39:15 pm »

So... will there be a list of players on either side or are we free to come and go?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2016, 12:44:57 pm »

So... will there be a list of players on either side or are we free to come and go?

Whichever side design bureau you post in is the one you join and you cannot flip to the other one unless I decide to create an event in the espionage section that has an engineer of one side essentially kidnapped and causes them to join the other.  Not really too much in favor of that, but there is always a chance it might show up later on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2016, 12:49:39 pm »

As for the other design bureau games, I'll have them mentioned with their systems in the OP if I knew what all of them were.  I know Aseaheru has one, but the rest are unknown to me at the current time.
I had a few.

I'll link it soon. Pretty sure it's OP links to several more iterations of the same concept.

Failure 1
Failure 2
Grand Success

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2016, 12:51:50 pm »

I think mine is my fourth attempt, the first to last more than a month or so. And I think its basically dead now...

-edit-

Also, the OOC thread is locked.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2016, 01:04:02 pm »

Also, the OOC thread is locked.

As I mentioned, this thread will be serving that purpose so that the International thread can contain all the turns right in a row for both ease of catching up and if people would want to read through them later.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2016, 01:22:55 pm »

It does make it a bit hard to keep track of though.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2016, 02:04:55 pm »

Yeah, four threads feels kind of cluttered. Links in the OP should be enough for that IMO.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2016, 08:28:04 pm »

It'd be nice to see an actual cold war sometime, with lots of espionage and threats but no actual combat unless things turn hot.
I always liked the idea of an arms race game in the cold war, but with the two player nations being part of the proxy wars fought by the US and Russia. Real life examples include the Korean and Vietnam wars. Just look at this list of wars where one or both sides were supported by the US or Russia, even if US troops never fought Russian troops.

It allows for a small regional conflict which isn't historically out of character, and both sides can subtly influence the positions of their patron states. As an added bonus, if you screw up the balance of the game, you can set it back by having the US or Russia send aid (or bombers!)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2016, 12:09:51 am »

I suggest to use quaterly or half-yearly turns, because we will get to 1970s while having very antique weapons
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2016, 01:02:01 am »

I suggest to use quaterly or half-yearly turns, because we will get to 1970s while having very antique weapons

Let's see how 1 design, 2 revision on a 1 year turn compares to outside progress before we speed things up past that.  Besides, the countries are on the less developed side of things, so being at least a bit behind does kinda make sense.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 78