Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110868 times)

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)
« Reply #945 on: December 30, 2017, 12:14:27 am »

Well, I've been in a bit of a wrighting mood recently, So I've thought up What I've been Calling Overlord race.

Overlord race is set in a generic fantasy world, Evil and good wage an eternal war blah blah blah. But recently said eternal war kinda ended, on the side of evil.
Evil Has won the grand argument, personal Strength and tyranny Wins. And honestly it was a fairly embarrassing loss for the forces of good, They lost... Because that Generation of heroes was so busy looking for the "Real" threat that they completely failed to stop the overlords from slaughtering their armies.
The force of evil looked so incompetent that Good let them win.
But now the Evil gods are having a bit of an argument now, There were Two overlords that Toppled the forces of good, both backed by half of the evil gods. So which Evil Gods get more of the Credit. And you can see where this is going.

So now the Orcish Horde, Led by Overlord Grommok Elf-Bane Are going to war against the undead Legions of ZeemZua The undying.
The classic arms race, for the most part, You are engineers/Magic men. You will not be Making Tactics or choosing deployment of units. It will be using the Cheap, expensive, very expensive Scale.

Another Difference is that You cannot create New schools of magic, You can stretch what you have, but you can go from, say necromancy to designing Nature magic. new magic schools cannot be researched.

New races, cannot be created wholesale. They have to be based on something that you have Whether an Already Existing Unit, beast and using a school of magic to twist them. Your geniuses, not Gods.

But there is a way around these limitations. That is the dungeon phase.

The twist is that the world is littered with what is known as dungeons, Dimensional pockets filled with loot, creatures, and magic texts from all across the Eons that Good and evil had wared. There are more lost Races and Items in there then there are Pimples on a troll.

Every turn each team will have what is called a dungeon phase, basically, it will come after revision but before Battle. This is a Points cost system will be coming in. you will only have so many points of units that you can throw into the dungeon. If you have a good mix of units, And units trench as well as a particularly good loot roll, you will get a very good reward.
It is possible to Design Unit specifically for use in the dungeon, in order to increase your chance of victory or improve your loot rolls.

There are a couple basic categories of rewards with some spillover deepening on Loot roll.
Magic Items: which you can then reverse engineer to Gain the enchantment for application elsewhere.
Tokens: such as Expense token (from a large amount of treasure) Or research tokens (large texts based on something that's not new to you)
Beasts: creatures that are not sapient, like horses or Gryphons.
Races: Sentient races that are willing to join your faction, sometimes. Requires a High tier loot roll but not Impossibly difficult. You could always send a negotiator after all, in case you run into such a race. You can then take a revision Action to incorporate them into your army in a general role or a specific faction (Ex.Revision: Kill all elves and turn them into zombies)
And lastly, Unlocking an Entire magic School for further use. examples of school are Arcane magic, Enchantment, golemancy, Elementalism, necromancy

As there are different dungeons that each Race has, the chosen dungeon will give a reward in line with its theme Such as, a Giant tree in the impossible forest would give nature related Loot. Dungeons would give dungeons things and underground things while ruins would give things that could presumably belong to an ancient race, or even said ancient races.

This is the Basics of what I have for Overlord race... Other than a map and The basic Starter tech for both sides. I wanted to post this before I tried to make a thread or anything.
Map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What do you guys think, Could a arms race like this work? or would it be a dumpster fire in the making.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 30, 2017, 12:16:04 am »

Okay, so. I had an idea, I call it: "Dungeons and Designs"
Effectively, it's an Arms Race themed on DnD and other tabletop RPGs. One team is the Dungeon, the other is the Town.  I'm working out some of the specific details of the systems still, but the basic idea is that it's very small scale, the town hires individual adventurers while the dungeon makes monster templates and spreads them around itself a few per room. The main thing is that units would have stats, rather than me just judging success abstractly based on somewhat vaguely defined details.
I'll make an in depth explanation post when I have an in depth explanation I can post.
This sounds pretty cool to me. But also risks DM overwork if you actually do DnD style combat every room or something.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: December 30, 2017, 04:54:49 am »

It sounds interesting, but what is the nitty-gritty system?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: January 01, 2018, 03:59:59 am »

New Arms Race is up.

Iron Behemoths

Largely inspired by the Iron Harvest game, taking place in 1951 as the Cold War begins to brew.  The nations of Nogrania (British Culture) and Toskesh (Chinese Culture) duke it out on the island-continent of Serouda.  The Geneva Conventions have banned the use of treads, wheels, fixed-wing aircraft, and fully automatic weapons.  Players are encouraged to think laterally and build weapons to bring their side to victory.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: January 01, 2018, 04:52:02 am »

Would a Deathball count as a wheel? Or include fixed-wing aircraft amongst its components...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: January 04, 2018, 08:44:50 am »

Following on from this potential Arms Race, I finally got around to transferring my notes from my phone and now have a set of starting technologies for each side.

Robots
Spoiler: Blueprints (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Infrastructure (click to show/hide)

The Swarm
Spoiler: Gene Pool (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Infrastructure (click to show/hide)

Better names for each side would be appreciated, but that could also be one of the first challenges posed to players, so I'm not overly fussed.

Anyone who bothers to do some maths will notice that The Swarm will be able to produce 17 Swarmlings before reaching capacity, whilst the Robots will only be able to produce 7 Doxs. This is balanced. The Swarm is supposed to be throwing around large numbers of units, but as they're all biological it is to be expected that a robot with an automatic weapon should be able to take down several before being overwhelmed and the numbers reflect that.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 04, 2018, 09:01:44 am »

I mean their are some things that are very good but their are some logic that kinda conflicts with what happens, the initial phase of the Robots is that they are supposed be quality against quantity, but that doesn't really make sense. In most depictions of robots and them as a enemy, usually they have a numerical superiority, whether it's against boring ol' humans whether they are advanced or not; or against a organic swarm. Once a robots get their factories online and can start mass-producing themselves, than a hive swarm no matter how fast they produce with their numbers (okay the Tyranids, are the exception) will just find out they are getting blitz out with their own strategy, numerical superiority. I mean early on the robotics have a initial penalty to their quantity, but it is very easy with self-fabrication and whatnot methods the robots could deploy to just out-swarm the Zerg. I mean they could just utilize nano-robots for instance, and make them the type that harvests resource and allow the Grey Goo problem to ensue :P.

For names, I guess since the robots are going for quality in their depiction in this fictional universe. Maybe the "Iron Legion, Robotic Legion, etc", or simple just the Legion to state that they have a decent amount of powerful troops, but not a army. As for the genetic swarm, I guess the "Hive Swarm" would make for a good name I'd imagine, since their trying to depict both numbers and their pheromone genetic manipulation :P.

I also made the realization of a route that it's a Human Vs. Robot Vs. Hive Swarm Arms Race. I understand from many posts in the Discord, that a three-way Arms Race is a pretty bad idea, but as long as you stop two sides from ganging up on one as the GM through the power of the GM, it could be interesting. The humans for example could develop psionic powers, while robots would have technological mastery, and the hive mind would have genetic mastery.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: January 04, 2018, 09:28:47 am »

Just because of a piece of fiction (depicts) something, such as technology to be evil, or say, robot to follow a predetermined path of creation doesn't mean it is true for all variants of fiction or in the real world. I would imagine that the hive race would have a little bit of a problem dealing with the robotics relative power ceiling, however, it could possibly be balanced with space magic/psionics/etc, or maybe even some nitty-gritty numbers game.

Determining what an entire factions technological/strategic name based on its name is kind of shallow don't you think? I think that it would mainly focus on which players would join which side.

I am 90% sure that in planetary scale environment, robotic machines would be able to gun down swarminoids long before they could come into melee range if they are sighted.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: January 04, 2018, 09:42:08 am »

Just because of a piece of fiction (depicts) something, such as technology to be evil, or say, robot to follow a predetermined path of creation doesn't mean it is true for all variants of fiction or in the real world. I would imagine that the hive race would have a little bit of a problem dealing with the robotics relative power ceiling, however, it could possibly be balanced with space magic/psionics/etc, or maybe even some nitty-gritty numbers game.

Determining what an entire factions technological/strategic name based on its name is kind of shallow don't you think? I think that it would mainly focus on which players would join which side.

I am 90% sure that in planetary scale environment, robotic machines would be able to gun down swarminoids long before they could come into melee range if they are sighted.

Well there is always conflict between the average depiction of something versus the unexpected, but ehhh it can conflict with other sources . In essence yes I can understand the idea that the robots are going for a higher quality route against the Swarm, to provide distinction between the two factions, but it doesn't mean that with future designs for example that the Swarm gets out-swarmed with just nano-robots, their are future possibilities in a sense. There are many routes each side to go, but it certainly would be ironic if the side with numbers gets rekt by a strategy based around numbers

As for the names of the factions, they are supposed to give you a first impression of the what the faction is supposed to be, it's rather not shallow but instead focused on quick-glances so that players understand the values of each side with just their title. Even than it doesn't provide too much of a penalty and my titles were really simple, I mean "Robotic Legion" and Hive Swarm is as simple as it gets for a title.

Thirdly, yes the robots have definite advantages over the the Swarm long-term, but I'd imagine it's intentional as the the Swarm is trying to out-rush the robots before they get chances to develop their new powerful advancements?, power ceiling for them is practically limitless. Also genetic manipulation and mastery can get you to places, so they aren't that much capped by power ceiling.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:07:00 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: January 04, 2018, 10:41:23 am »

I mean their are some things that are very good but their are some logic that kinda conflicts with what happens, the initial phase of the Robots is that they are supposed be quality against quantity, but that doesn't really make sense. In most depictions of robots and them as a enemy, usually they have a numerical superiority, whether it's against boring ol' humans whether they are advanced or not; or against a organic swarm. Once a robots get their factories online and can start mass-producing themselves, than a hive swarm no matter how fast they produce with their numbers (okay the Tyranids, are the exception) will just find out they are getting blitz out with their own strategy, numerical superiority. I mean early on the robotics have a initial penalty to their quantity, but it is very easy with self-fabrication and whatnot methods the robots could deploy to just out-swarm the Zerg. I mean they could just utilize nano-robots for instance, and make them the type that harvests resource and allow the Grey Goo problem to ensue :P.

My two-bits here.

Remember that a human, and any biological organism, is just a robot made out of biological materials. Remember that the base materials of bio-molecules are absurdly abundant. As in, the first and sixth most abundant elements in the universe. Traditional inorganic robotics, however, makes use of materials that are, by comparison, absurdly rare.

To illustrate this point, I give you the ogre-faced spider. It's a spider with fantastically good night vision and motion tracking. The night vision itself is better than that of an owl, and they're web throwers- so they've also got great reaction times and agility. Most importantly, they've got the computational wet-ware to (on their own) track and identify targets, defend themselves, gather food, reproduce themselves. Our most expensive machines can't manage all that shit. Heck, we can't even manage a machine that's as agile as an ogre-faced spider, let alone have the optics. I dearly hope that our AI software has advanced to a point where we can match 'spider' (not sure, need to conduct more interviews with spiders), but we certainly haven't it done it at the same scale. 

Right, I forgot the most important part. What's it take to make an ogre-faced spider? Fucking nothing. A couple bugs. Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, trace minerals. It's depressing, and that design was not made by some great spider-engineer looking to the future and thinking: 'Hmm, what would be the most effective way to X', it was done by spiders fucking until they drifted towards it gradually via selective breeding and mutation. The ability to engineer something with forethought means you can traverse local minima when looking for an effective solution to a problem, and it means that instead of being concerned with 'is it sustainable?', you can concern yourself with 'is it effective?'.

For example, lets take bacteria. Wonders of biology that mother nature was working with well before nanites were cool. We've got bacteria that do every damn thing. We've got bacteria that eat plastic, we've got  bacteria that eat metal, bacteria that utilize uranium, bacteria that make ice (and may even be able to make it snow), bacteria that make the kind of glue you'd use to stick a tractor to the ceiling with, bacteria that are straight magnetic, and so many goddamn more. All of this through random feckin' chance. Through drift, through generations of bacteria that 'sorta' did it, because they couldn't jump to an optimal state.

Self-replicating robotics, particularly at the nano-scale level, is a vast problem of sensors, materials, and processing capability that is absurdly daunting in its scope. What is the nanite made of? How does it move? How does it obtain energy? How is it controlled? How does it differentiate between itself, its peers, and the resources its set to mine? Nanobots capable of consuming anything and everything, the hypothetical planet devouring grey goo, are are much more difficult than 'just make some really tiny robots'. Increase the size to something more akin to a cell is much doable, but that too has its limits- and as mentioned above, biological organisms are really good at operating on that level.

The advantage of the conventional machine is the strength of material, but the numbers, the sheer resources, will always favor the organic. A spacebourne organism, capable of designing with intelligence, will drown you in slime.

EDIT: My apologies for all the swearing. Mother nature is a right smug bitch, and I am envious.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:52:01 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 04, 2018, 01:17:59 pm »

Evolution Race!

The only Arms Race to take place over millions of years!
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: January 04, 2018, 03:41:18 pm »

Yep, it is a question of mass, rather than numbers. A gram of nanites can't hope to do much to a kilogram of flame-throwers, even if they have a million-to-one numbers advantage.
It is also a matter of energy rather than time. Fruit-flies can reach maturity in 7 days, a robot can be built in 1, maybe. But either way you have parallel production, lots of eggs and production lines, it is ultimately about how many of them you can run at once. Machines have much higher energy requirement for production, especially in the materials-processing stage which occurs before they even start manufacture, and factories aren't all that great at assembling things that are very large(like whales, mostly due to issues of inertia and structural stresses of the developing project and the large devices required to manipulate it) or very small(like bacteria, it is very difficult to get lots of tools into a small place to work in parallel, and building a bacteria one piece at a time is sloooooow, not to mention the difficulty of getting the tools to stop moving at that scale).

I would say that both sides are swarmers at present. These are obviously cheap robots which seem to have spent 90% of their budget on guns. I would also argue that robots are very frequently depicted as a single monster. Like The Terminator Movies or The Day The Earth Stood Still. Even Cybermen usually demonstrate extremely good kill/death ratios outside of special circumstances and are frequently a dying race with few total members remaining.

Also, Nanites seem like a pretty terrible weapon. They have no armour, which means fire ought to just end them, even if it misses. They have precious little surface-area for solar energy, and most materials are low-energy, while flight requires high energy. Far more likely than a cloud is a horde of fleas, and a helicopter with some napalm ought to be able to deal with it with near-impunity. Finally, they are going to be too small for complex programming, they will not be able to improvise thir design much, so the materials will be quite specific, or at least have quite specific bottle-necks, so they won't be stripping a city to its foundations and converting it all into nanites.

Using nanites as materials for larger robots is interesting, butit still suffers from the lack of armour, so your enemy can be cheap with its weaponry, and nanites are not fast-moving, so it won't be the instant-repairs that you dream of and will be pretty terrible at handling the stresses of its own heavy-weapons. You could go for a hybrid design, but then it has critical components, especially armour which is likely to suffer high attrition. So you are likely to have something that is actually very bad at fighting, but can get back up again several minutes to hours later if it isn't subject to thermal, radiation, or pressure bombardment.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: January 05, 2018, 10:32:22 am »

Another post on the MtG system. Here's a more fleshed write-up.

I really enjoy making cards. I think I have a problem.

Rules and play Sequence

Unlike other arms race games, there really is no set amount of time that each turn represents. As this Arms Race is cast as a card game, there's really no need to conceptualize it beyond that.

In the beginning of the 'game' stage, each team draws seven cards at random from their deck. If a team does not like their starting hand, they may elect to take a mulligan and draw a new hand. The first such mulligan is without price, but each mulligan without price decreases the initial hand size by one. Thus, seven cards are drawn initially, seven for the first mulligan, six for the second, five for the third, and so on.

After both sides are happy with their starting hands, a coin is flipped to determine who goes first. The coin flip decides which team starts in the research stage, and which team starts in the play phase.

During the Play Phase teams decide how to deal with any attacks declared by the other team last turn, play lands and reset cards tapped last round, and then decides what to do with their main phase. During main, any number of creature, strategy, tactic, or reaction cards may be played, as long as the team has energy to support it. As a final step in the main phase, the team declares what creatures they intend to attack with, and any tactics or strategies they intend to play after the combat step.

During the Research Phase teams decide what to add to their decks going forwards. This can be changing an existing card, adding a new effect, or creating entirely new cards. Only one thing can be done at each research phase, so be wary.

Teams will alternate between research and play phases, responding to one another's actions in the play phases, and creating new cards to tilt the game in their favor during the research phase. This alternates until one team runs out of life as a result of actions in the main phase. When a team is killed, the opposing team gets a point, and the game cycle begins at start.

Importantly, before play begins, each team gets five special phases of pure research, during which they can do two things per turn instead of one.

Expanded Rules - Play Phase

So, this game is modeled (roughly) off MtG played in EDH format. If you have know idea what that is, I'll explain. Each team starts the game with 20 life, a hero, and a deck of cards containing creatures, effect cards, and the energy pay for the previous two. At the end of the day, your objective is to either reduce your opponent to <=0 life, or to run your opponent entirely out of cards. You do this by building up energy, throwing out more powerful critters, and countering your opponent and putting them off balance using effect cards.

Your Cards and You

Let's begin with a crash course in Magic, albeit modified for this game. The first thing to consider are the cards not in play. The hand, the graveyard, and the deck. Despite not being active yet (or not being active any more, in the case of the graveyard), these sets are still important.

The hand is the set of cards that you have ready to play. Normally, the opposing team cannot see your hand, but this rule is not inviolate. During your main phase, any number of cards from your hand can be played, assuming you have enough energy to cover the costs. Energy cards are the exception to this rule, as you can only play one energy card per play phase, and you play it immediately after drawing. A hand, to the friendly party, looks like...

Spoiler: Example Hand (click to show/hide)

The graveyard is not only home to friendly creatures destroyed in combat, it's also where spent effect cards (Strategies, Tactics, and reactions) go after they've been played- unless noted otherwise. The graveyard is of note for occasions when you have effect cards that pull from the graveyard, or when effects depend on cards in the graveyard. The graveyard is not a hidden set of cards, and either side is free to peruse its contents. Take an example graveyard,

The deck has the most mystique, and is hidden to all players. It's a set of 100 cards, which are drawn from without replacement during the start of the game, and at the beginning of each play phase. If it runs out, that player loses. The following is an example deck,

Spoiler: Example Deck (click to show/hide)

Now, for cards in play, three are also (nicely) three major sets to contend with. The sideboard, the resource pool, and the active creatures and effects. All of these sets are publicly visible at all times. There are no secrets once a card is in play.

The sideboard, for EDH, is a solitary place. Primarily, it's for keeping your commander, a special creature card which defines your deck, when that card is not active. It's also used for storing exiled cards. Which are cards that aren't in play, but haven't been destroyed, and thus exist in bizarre limbo.

Spoiler: Example Sideboard (click to show/hide)

The resource pool is the set of all resource cards you have available to you. Its sole job is to tell you how much of what you have available at any one time. As such, I don't really include the graphics for each card, since that just makes bookkeeping a bother.

Spoiler: Example Resource Pool (click to show/hide)

The active creatures and effects is the set of all creatures that are actively in play, all of the effects currently attached to those creatures, and any other cards with lasting effects. If a creature card is depicted small, that means that it is currently tapped, and cannot block or attack. Cards untap at the beginning of your turn, right after you would play a resource card.

Spoiler: Example Active Card (click to show/hide)

What to Do When It's Your Turn

Short version, for reference.
  • Resolve Enemy Attacks
  • Draw a Card
  • Untap all cards, unless specified otherwise
  • Play an additional land
  • Play effect cards
  • Plan reactions and attack

When your turn comes up, there's one thing you need to take care of before you get to actually enter your main phase, and that's resolving the opposing team's attacks. Your opponent will likely have finished their turn by attacking you with one or more creatures, and thus you will need to use your own creatures or reaction cards to defend yourself. It's important to remember that this phase is still your opponent's turn, so you can't use strategies or tactics, only reactions and creatures already in play (unless the creature's text says otherwise). Every creature you control can block only one enemy creature (unless specified otherwise on the card's text), but multiple creatures can block the same attacker. Using a creature to block does not cause it to tap. I'll discuss the nitty gritty of combat in a bit, but any unblocked creature will go on to deal damage equal to its power directly to your health.

After that's dealt with, and you're still alive, the real fun starts.  A new card will have been added to your hand, all your tapped cards (resources and creatures) will be untapped, and you're free to plan the assault of your own.

The last bit is the important part, and it's the biggest change from MtG. In Magic, instant cards can be used on a rapid basis as players react to situations emerging, and the effects of sorceries can be resolved one by one. Not so here. If you play tactics, they will activate in the order you declare, but you won't be able to tell, in real time, exactly what they do. Likewise, if you think it likely the enemy will use a certain tactic and want to counter it with a reaction, you can't do that as the card is played. Instead, you have to plan your turn as a block, laying in a sequence of actions and reactions for your turn.

Most every non-energy card has an associated cost, shown in the upper right. That cost is the number of resource cards you have to tap in order to bring that card into play. A colored dot indicates that a specific kind of energy is required, and multiple colored dots indicate that multiple specific energies must be tapped. A grey circle with a number inside just denotes an energy cost to pay that can be drawn from any kind of energy. So, from the above example of a sideboard, Aki takes one white, one black, and two of any energy in order to be brought into play. Energy cards that are tapped will remain tapped and unusable until the beginning of your next turn.

A special caveat to creatures brought into play: Unless a creature's text says otherwise, or another card gives them haste, a creature cannot attack immediately after being brought in. They can defend against the next attack, but they have to wait a turn to attack.

Again, differing from standard MtG, you cannot designate non-instant (non-reaction) effect cards to resolve after combat. This is limiting, but primarily in place to prevent turn planning from becoming a complete and utter mess, since the resolution of combat is done on the opposing team's turn. Thus, the last event of any given turn will be attacking with creatures.

In order to attack at all, you need at least one untapped creature card. For our example, we're going to have the two active card boards below.

Spoiler: Friendly Active Cards (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Enemy Active Cards (click to show/hide)

We have three creatures, nicely untapped, to our enemy's two- with one tapped. We can choose to attack with any number of them, but it's important to understand how damage and toughness works. When two creatures engage, they deal damage to one another equal to their power (the first number on their  X/Y in the lower right) simultaneously, unless dictated otherwise by their card. If damage would reduce a card's toughness to 0 or below, that card is destroyed. Thus, we attack with our police lieutenant (2/2), the enemy can block with their brawler (3/1), and both cards will be destroyed. Unless we're trying to force a trade, it's smarter to attack with the Hired Thugs (1/1), which are much less valuable troops, but can still kill the brawler. Of course, the enemy can simply opt not to block, choosing to tank the measly one damage in exchange for keeping their front line alive. As explained below in keywords, the Slick modifier basically replaces flying from MtG, and means that the creature can't be blocked except by other creatures with slick- so we can attack with impunity with our police sniper, since the Freelancer is tapped and the Brawler isn't Slick.

After each card attacks, it's moved to the graveyard if destroyed, or tapped if it survived combat.  Tapped cards cannot be used for your next blocking phase, which makes attacking a careful decision. An all-out assault leaves you vulnerable, but failing to pressure your foe enough gives them time to gather their forces. For example, if we choose to attack with our hired thugs and our police sniper, we can potentially deal 4 damage, if the enemy chooses not to block. However, then next round the enemy can attack with both the Freelancer (which can't be blocked since our sniper will be tapped), and the Brawler. That either forces us to block with the Lieutenant (losing a good card) and take 2 damage, or preserve the lieutenant and take five damage instead. Either way, the trade is ambiguous, which is why you should endeavor to use your reaction cards to put contingencies in place. For example, you can use the Gun Scan card to either safely use the Lieutenant as a blocker, or to attack with her and not fear destruction.

Expanded Rules - Play Phase

The research phase has two important components, making/modifying cards, and hot-swapping those cards into your deck.

Making and modifying cards works almost like a normal arms race. Making a new card is a simple as coming up with a name (and giving me an image if you're feeling nice), and brainstorming what you want it to do. In general, you can be pretty specific about what you want- except for cost and rarity. Cost and rarity are my control factors, so you can't really specify those directly when making a new card.

Spoiler: Example New Cards (click to show/hide)

If you're strictly modifying cards, then all you have to do is give them the same name as an existing card, and you can be a bit more vague about what you want the modification to do. You can even try for things like cheaper and less rare, though cheapening will always by very difficult to do unless you reduce the card in some way- or unless it was a shitty card to begin with. If you increase the power/effect of a card, or an add an ability to a creature, you will likely incur at least a cost bump, if not a rarity bump. Because of this, there a certain rules for when you can and cannot modify a card.

• You CANNOT modify a card that is in play
  • You CANNOT modify a card that is in exile
  • You CAN modify a card that is in your graveyard, BUT it will be the unmodified version if it is raised from your graveyard.
  • You CAN modify a card that is in your hand

Now, this ties in somewhat with the second big part of the research phase. Hot-swapping. Each research phase, you can make one one-to-many swap into your deck. That is, you can take one name of card, and replace any number of existing cards in your deck with that card as long as you don't exceed the new card's rarity limit. There is a limitation to this, however. Only unknown cards can be replaced. If you have peeked at the top X cards of your deck, none of the cards you know about can be replaced in this manner.

Rolling, whether for a modification or a new card, is down using a single normalized d6. Low and High rolls are both fairly rare, and their impact is fairly minor. This is primarily a game about tactics and deck building, not trying to get a couple of OP cards.

Spoiler: Roll Breakdown (click to show/hide)

Definitions

Commander: A deck defining card, kept on the sideboard when not in play. The commander can always be played from the sideboard (for its modified cost), and can always be moved back to the sideboard (though this counts as killing it). Despite being a creature, the commander cannot actually be killed. Destroying the commander merely sends it back to sideboard, and increases its cost by 2 colorless energy.

Strategies: If you've played MtG, strategies are enchantments. Strategies, once played, stay in play and have some kind of effect until canceled by another Tactic or Reaction. Enchantments can not have triggers attached.

Tactics: If you've played MtG, tactics are sorceries. They're one-shot abilities that resolve immediately unless countered by an enemy reaction. Once played, they go into your graveyard. That can get complicated. Like Enchantments, sorceries cannot have triggers attached.

Reactions: If you've played MtG, reactions are sorta-instants. They're one-shots, like sorceries, but have the important caveat that you can set them to play only under certain circumstances. For instance, if X creature would be killed, or if the opposing team plays a damaging sorcery.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: January 05, 2018, 10:53:11 am »

Nanite Swells could be dealt with boiling water, fly traps, and (as you mentioned earlier) fire. However, nanomachines as a cloud of disassemblers/cutters act best in two specific conditions: Close quarters, and cramped conditions. They would be both a terror weapon and an insidious weapon. What if the nanites expand to hide over an entire room?  They are so spread out that you cant see them, but they are there. waiting. Reporting information, Sensor baffling, perhaps even sticking to any hostiles and tracking them.

Nanites as a weapon isnt that effective, but  im gonna paste a reference from Eclipse Phase as a theortical what if.

Quote from: Fractal
Fractals are advanced bush robots. In their standard form, fractals resemble a strange sort of metallic bush surrounded with an eerie glittering haze. In their center
are a number of metallic branches, linked together with a flexible joint. Each of these branches splits into two or more smaller branches, also with flexible joints. These branches also split, and then split again, and so on down to the molecular scale. The tip of each fractal branch ends in a nanoscale manipulator. Fractals are deceptively potent adversaries, having the capability to dismantle almost anything at the molecular level, much like a disassembler nanoswarm, and also to rebuild anything just like a nanofabricator. Attacking them with projectiles is futile, as they absorb the ammunition, break it down into its constituent atoms or molecules, and then use those as components to build a weapon to use against you.

Fractals can be equipped with any type of gear the gamemaster desires—if they don’t have something, they can make it. Fractals are also able to nanofabricate items much more quickly than transhuman nanofabricators; reduce all times by half (half an hour per Cost category). Fractals are difficult to damage, as their “bodies” are actually airy assemblages of fractal branches. Any damaged branches that are broken off are caught and absorbed by others. Reduce damage from all standard non-area effect or spray attacks to the minimum possible damage. Area effect and spray weapons do half damage. Fractals are self-repairing, regenerating damage at the rate of 1d10 points per half hour and repairing wounds at the rate of 1 per hour after all damage is healed.

Skills: Beam Weapons 50, Climbing 60, Fray 40, Free Fall 40, Freerunning 50, Infiltration 70, Infosec 65, Interfacing 45, Intimidation 50, Kinetic Weapons 60, Perception 50, Programming: Nanofabrication 80, Research 40, Spray Weapons 45, Unarmed Combat 55
Notes: Any implants, gear, weapons, or enhancements the gamemaster desires

Although not strictly aa cloud of nanomachines, this is definitely a nano-warfare weapon. ((The numbers essentially mean that the higher it is the better you are. 80 means PHD/cutting edge int erms of knowledge.)

These horrifying adversaries are absurdly lethal, as well as durable. With how advanced they are, the flavor text that comes with it states that a Fractal could come back to life if less 95~ of the components is destroyed. They are also able to fabricate pieces to directly counter any hostile it has previously experienced, and it can make the blueprints basically on the spot with how well skilled it is. Bring a Helicopter? Swarm leaves come back with a rocket launcher that fires a steering projectile. Try and burn it out? It comes back with a sniper rifle. An adversary that can on-the-fly come up with its own weapons for the situation at hand is far more effective (assuming the computer and energy problems are solved.)

Yes, they may not have good armor, but if an extremely advanced self-fabricating nano-weapon is realized, I have no doubts that its body count would far surpass its own losses.

as to your gram of nanomachines example to a kilogram of flamethrower, if a spurt of nanomachines lands on the flamethrower and they have direction by a nearby (<.5 light seconds maybe?) entity, they could easily crawl into the weapon and disassemble critical parts of the weapon, or cause a leak in the tank and then ignite it. While they are much more resource intensive pound per pound then a clump of bacteria, they come with the proportional direct controllability.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 05, 2018, 10:59:46 am »

snip
I'd really like to try this. I think the biggest conflict in each team would be picking their deck theme though.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 78