Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110890 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)
« Reply #885 on: November 20, 2017, 09:58:45 am »

Train wreck indeed. “Keep out of eachother’s threads” is not gonna work.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 20, 2017, 01:05:16 pm »

Zanzet you are a lunatic trying to run two arms races at the same time.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: November 20, 2017, 04:07:57 pm »

Zanzet you are a lunatic trying to run two arms races at the same time.

Yeah, I'll probably be hating myself if I wind up getting a double battle phase, but right now both are going really slow.  Hell, the 4chan one may have a difficult life.  I know Faction 1 currently has only 1 person on it while Faction A has 7.

Train wreck indeed. “Keep out of eachother’s threads” is not gonna work.

Maybe.  Going to join in?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 21, 2017, 08:44:23 am »

Hey so I had an idea for an arms race, but i dont want to gm it.
Imagine you have a master of magic like arms race. Each side plays a wizard king. It is inevitable that the two wizard kings want to take control of the land so they start to create races and technology as well as powerful spells. It would be quite like magic race but only you would get to see different races of humanoids fighting instead of two nations.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 21, 2017, 07:35:17 pm »

I've been thinking about the Revision Phase and i'm not to keen on how it currenty works as basicly a reroll for bad designs.
It might be better with at it takeing place at the same time as the design phase or haveing a waiting period untill designs can be revised.

I'm pondering the old aliens vs Forenia idea.
While we can have rules to keep the power of the aliens weapons in check, they need the enslaved forenians to mine rare elements.
So thay can't trash the place too badly.

The aliens lack of an exsiting armoury will be countred by letting them have mutiple designs on the first few turns.
Maybe let them work on nonweapon fields i.e. super soliders
Forenia will get the power of longer term projects takeing maybe 3 or 4 turns to complete.
But there going to be a spy on both sides that can leak some details to the other side.

Im thinking of spliting the map up into three frounts (Arstotzka, Moskurg and new westen city of Forenia)
Probably have more then one diffrent alien (catgirls, lizardmen, and greys?) just to shake things up.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 22, 2017, 10:12:51 am »

Well, one of my Mad Science test players needs a replacement. Anyone up for it?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 22, 2017, 10:15:28 am »

Well, one of my Mad Science test players needs a replacement. Anyone up for it?
Yeah, alright.
Long Live United Forenia!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 22, 2017, 10:19:27 am »

Giving non-equipment designs to aliens would be interesting, particularly if they could do the standard alien thing of alien-human hybrids. There there are the super soldiers, nanites, biowarfare, etc. etc. etc. that they could do.

Although, if you do go and do it with Forenia, can we keep it just Forenia or(if one must include Cannala) update each sides designs to use the same sort of basis?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 22, 2017, 11:19:26 am »

I've also been thinking about arms race games. In particular, some sort of wunderwaffen game. Pretty much every game is about equipping an army so I thought this would be an interesting change of pace to intentionally be designing Metal Gears, Maus' and other ridiculous projects.

What are your thoughts?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 22, 2017, 12:49:57 pm »

Yes please. I love unconventional(read: physics-ignoring) Arms Race games.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 22, 2017, 04:15:02 pm »

Giving non-equipment designs to aliens would be interesting, particularly if they could do the standard alien thing of alien-human hybrids. There there are the super soldiers, nanites, biowarfare, etc. etc. etc. that they could do.

Although, if you do go and do it with Forenia, can we keep it just Forenia or(if one must include Cannala) update each sides designs to use the same sort of basis?
Asymmetric non-equipment designs are something i want to have, as it keep things fresh, not just a B side with laser weapon paint.

I was planing on just haveing Forenia.
(The aliens are few in number but the advanced tech and remote localtion make it an ideal landing zone.)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 22, 2017, 11:44:50 pm »

Yes please. I love unconventional(read: physics-ignoring) Arms Race games.

Hold my beer.

I've got this 4x Arms Race I've been cooking up. Don't have a map yet, but I think all the rules are there.

Maybe. There have been a couple revisions.

Galactic Race
The 4x arms race game no one asked for, with all the complexity no one wanted.

General Play Loop
These rules are adapted from a couple different arms race games, with enough new twists that they're worth reading again even if you've played all the arms race games.

This arms race plays out over 3 phases: The design and project maintenance phase, the revision phase, and the production, deployment and tactics phase. In the absence of other modifiers, each team gains 5 dice to use at the start of every year. Every year, each team will cycle through the three phases in order, spending dice and resources to capture worlds and advance their cause.

At the start of each year designs and project maintenance is handled. Members of each team may propose designs. Everyone is allowed to vote for a design.  During this same time, players of each team propose resource allocation plans for various pre-existing projects. These are voted on in the same way as designs. You can vote for any number of projects so long as there are enough dice for everything you're voting for to be done simultaneously. You cannot vote for the same design or spending more than once. It is not possible to directly vote against a design, but it is possible to vote for meta-goals such as 'no design' or 'only 1 design'.  The design (if any) with the most votes gets rendered into a new project and the progress for the funded existing projects moves ahead at the end of this stage. Any created prototypes or finished projects are described.

After designs and projects have been worked out, then the players move on to revisions. Revision are cheap, but best suited to address problems with improvements to existing desings. For example, if you finished a ship based beam laser last round, you can try a revision to make a pulsed version or to fix an overheating issue. However, one could not immediately turn around and revise infantry laser weapons from a ship based beam laser. Do not make the mistake of thinking that smaller is less complex. Revisions to improve a technology beyond the original design will face diminishing returns quickly, but correcting bugs in the original design does not count against that soft limit.

Any dice not spent on revisions/designs/projects are saved back for the next round. Each team can bank a total of 5 dice, giving them a maximum of 10 dice to spend at any one time.

After revisions comes the production, deployment, and tactics phase. During deployment you can set and modify standing movement orders to your ships, sending them to various locations to do ship things. A ship's range is determined by its engines, but its movement will be halted by enemy activity. Ships can be ordered to only engage under certain conditions, but Captains may have imperfect information depending on sensors and a variety of other factors. In the event of engagement, ships will do their best to carry out whatever tactic they have assigned.  For soldiers on the ground, orders are of three major flavors: Advance, hold the line, and retreat. Advance tactics attempt to take ground, but are liable to be costly. Holding the line is better to keep from losing ground against a stronger attack force, but will never gain territory. Retreating voluntarily gives up ground, attempting to spare lives and equipment for the defenders when possible. The last part, construction orders, is about allocating production points and/or resources to actually build new weapons/ships/regiments.  Each player gets a single vote for each of these three types of commands, with the same rules as voting for revisions and designs applying.

Combat in Space
Combat in space will not be realistic. Realistic space combat is... a pain. If you've played SoTS or Starsector, that's more the feel I'm aiming for. If you haven't, think more of Star Trek naval combat, though with the distances being a bit longer. At the start of the game, each ship can be outfitted with a single tactic, and command ships can have an additional tactic.  In ship-to-ship combat, vessels will attempt to carry out their assigned tactic to the best of their ability- with one exception. If the tactic in the command ship's bonus slot would be better than what the fleet member is currently using, they can switch to that one freely. For instance, if a fleet vessel's primary tactic is to attempt to hit-and-run enemy vessels, but the enemy suddenly presents a faster and more maneuverable ship, their tactic breaks down. However, if the command vessel has a defensive tactic in reserve, the day may yet be saved. Superior officers, discipline, communication, and training, will still pay off and improve any tactic- and you may be able to expand the number of tactics that a ship can hold or that a command vessel can hotswap.

One important note, if the command vessel is destroyed, the ability to hotswap tactics is naturally lost.

Unless given instruction otherwise, combat vessels will attempt to engage until they face a clear defeat, at which point they'll prime emergency FTL and attempt to bug out. This will, however, damage the power systems of the surviving vessels, and potentially cause cascading failures and even the destruction damaged ships. Non-Combat vessels, massively outclassed combat vessels, or vessels ordered not to engage, will attempt to create distance at sublight speed before making an FTL jump when forced into a combat encounter.

After a battle, if there are any ships capable of towing, derelicts from destroyed vessels can be hauled back by whichever side gained area control. Such derelicts can be scrapped for resources and a look at the operational parameters of surviving equipment.

Planetary Combat
Planetary combat is split into two parts, planetary bombardment and landings.

Planetary bombardment serves two purposes. First, it can allow attackers to 'soften up' strategic ground targets in order for later landing forces to have an easier time actually invading. Second, it can be used to inflict quick economic damage on an adversary without actually needing to spend the resources on a full-on invasion fleet of transports. At start, you have two flavors of bombardment: soft target bombardment and hard target bombardment. Hard target bombardment attempts to hit military installations and defensive infrastructure, reducing their efficacy, and potentially reducing the army value of a planet. If there are no defensive armies and a planet's defense grid is destroyed, the resistance to capture the world will be minimal- assuming that the other nation hasn't done hijinx to the contrary.

While that sounds nice, Hard targets, true to their name, are usually hardened against bombardment. In some cases you may find yourself in a position where you don't have time, resources, or firepower to start hammering down defenses so you can send in an invasion force. Still, if you can manage to get a fleet around an enemy planet, you want to try and deal damage. That's where soft-target bombardment is helpful. True to its name, it attempts to hit soft targets of your opponent's economic infrastructure- farms, research labs, mines, etc.  Destroying these not only reduces the amount of resources they get per turn, but forces them to spend money rebuilding. Of course, in an ideal world you'd like to capture a planet with most of the soft targets intact so you don't have to rebuild them yourself (see Planets and Planetary infrastructure), but war doesn't always allow for ideal worlds.

You may be able to spend designs and revisions to improve the efficacy of or prioritize certain targets with orbital bombardment.

Planetary landings require transports filled with troops. Landing regiments then face pushback against defense forces, directly engaging ground forces in a bid to conquer strategic reasons. Importantly, basic ground troops do not inflict damage to infrastructure. They target enemy troops and attempt to capture strategic areas to control the planet, and thus any surviving infrastructure is turned over to attackers. Ground attacks do not utilize tactics. Regiments of troops are assumed to include a mix of basic units- infantry, armor, artillery, etc. However, certain units, such has high-power mech, elite psychic infantry, unspeakable eldritch horrors the size of small mountains, may be manufactured and shipped separately from basic regiments. Basically, if it's very expensive to build/train, it'll be its own special unit, not part of a standard invasion regiment.

If the attackers are doing well and overwhelming the defenders, they'll begin to gain dominion over the planet. Dominion is represented as x/4, much like territory in a standard arms race game, and represents how close you are to being able to control the important parts of the planet. 4/4 Dominion doesn't necessarily mean that you own and actively patrol every inch of territory, it just means that you're free to rain fire and death on anyone who wants to question whether you own any particular piece of territory.

It should be noted that while certain special units, such as a massive abomination or a temporally unstable supersoldier may be able to devastate armies on their own, there's nothing like thousands of boots to actually take ground and root out the enemy.

Definitions and Resources

Spoiler: How Rolling Will Work (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat Essentials (click to show/hide)

Setting Modifiers

Soft-Serve Science: You want your reactor to run off the power of a forsaken psionic child channeling the energy of a dark star God? Sounds great, just give me a write-up. This isn't a hard science game- this is a game where one could conceivably get away with SPEHSS MAHRENS and SPEHSS MAGICKS, not one where I'm going to nag you over perfectly reasonable details of science and 'but reality doesn't do that'. I'm not going to make you write a paper on the exact physics that justify an waveforce shield or a mantra powered Buddhism laser- but you do need to beware the golden rule of the universe: 'Shit ain't Free'. Everything, no matter how advanced, has a price.

Begin at your Beginnings: This game will have a special opening phase, seven turns in length. During this period, the final phase of each turn is skipped- so there is no production, deployment and tactics. Instead, you are given ten dice per turn, and you will be asked to create the designs for most of your starting tech.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 23, 2017, 12:14:57 am »

TOMES? Awwww... I liked COWS.

Edit: I really like the bell-curve dice though. Less chance of total disaster.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:19:03 am by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 23, 2017, 05:46:57 am »

I mean, I'm not gonna claim that doesn't sound more fun than a barrel of monkeys, but at the same time, it also sounds about as complicated and messy as a barrel of monkeys.
Then again, Spires Race has worked out pretty well so far (certain 1% scenarios notwithstanding).
Long Live United Forenia!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #899 on: November 30, 2017, 04:18:42 am »

A 'Arms Race Jr.' would be interesting.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 78