Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 110866 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2016, 07:57:37 pm »

We will be done once you stop using marked dice because we botch the fucking rolls all the time. Like, at this rate the war will be over in five turns because all our stuff will break apart or be impossible to produce.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2016, 08:01:07 pm »

Waiting on Zan. Who may be waiting on us to say exactly what everything we want done in our revisions of old stuff.

-edit-

Not impossible Kot, comeon. We just never had to deal with new tech cost before, except mildly on ships, and even then we got a ship when it was new.

Though, it does have me wondering if its just one roll for the whole thing (as I suspect) or multiple rolls, which I think was how it was done initially, though Im probably wrong.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2016, 08:04:47 pm »

Hey, we aren't using marked dice. I mean, if we were we'd have celebrated about it by now. :P

You guys just need to be more... restrained in your designs.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2016, 08:07:00 pm »

Hey, we are only trying to add one new thing and two things that where already done in different forms to them. And then got rid of one of the "new" things.

And the integral suppressor was Zan being interesting.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2016, 08:08:36 pm »

And the integral suppressor was Zan being interesting.
Yeah, we literally just needed to upsize the suppressor from the pistol, not make an totally new tech of integrated suppressors.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2016, 08:30:09 pm »

Well, I don't think you have an AR with a threaded barrel to accept a detachable suppressor at any rate so... :P

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2016, 08:35:42 pm »

Well, I don't think you have an AR with a threaded barrel to accept a detachable suppressor at any rate so... :P
Considering that you can thread a barrel at your own fucking home with basic tools I don't see how this would have been a problem.
Oh, right, okay, other than upsizing the suppressor, we would have to thread the barrel. That's arguably still less work than making integrated suppressor.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2016, 10:07:22 pm »

Not to mention  astly more useful, we could have slapped it on anything the same caliber with zero issues.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2016, 10:37:06 pm »

Well, weapons using the same round. It probably wouldn't have worked on the sniper rifle.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2016, 10:40:05 pm »

Due to issues that have come up with my ability to access the forums, I no longer have the time to bea able to process the turns for Arms Race - Indonesia.  There are two options.  One, the game is sent on hiatus for the forseeable future, to be revived at a later date when my ability to access returns to its full potential.  Two, another GM is found to run the game.  Which would be preferred?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2016, 10:46:54 pm »

Waiting. Anyone who is willing to take over is probably already a player, and thus somewhat biased.

Besides, it wouldn't feel the same.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2016, 05:40:49 am »

For me, either is good. Though I'd hazard that a GM must be found from outside the playerbase in order to ensure impartiality.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2016, 06:29:46 am »

Sensei sempai, but I have no idea what is going on with him or anything, so that's proably not possible.
So whatever.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2016, 09:38:53 am »

I don't mind the hiatus.... changing GMs midgame rarely works.

I am trying to do a my own version of ruleset for a topic vs topic arms race game. Note that I will not GM it, I just want to post it here for someone else using it (or I may coGM with someone who will do the setting\writing part of the game while I will be busy with rolls)

Problem #1 of each and every design game I have seen
It is nearly impossible to get a realistic composition of forces. Players just can't design everything that army may use. Lets look at early WW2 land force: Small arms (pistol, rifle, anti-tank rifle, submachinegun, machinegun), vehicles: (truck, artillery tractor, armored car, light tank, medium tank, heavy tank) Artillery: (mortar, light AA, heavy AA, anti-tank gun, light howitzer, medium howitzer, heavy howitzer), misc(landmine, grenade, radio) One of each = 21 designs without airforce, navy and various minor stuff like sniper rifles\shotguns\motorcycles\self-propelled artillery .

Solutions of this:

1) Use limited amount of designs. It works but it creates weird wars like when two island nations created no military vessel in 26 years of conflict or when grenades and landmines get "invented"  in 1930s

2) Just give players enough actions to design everything. This approach devalues actions, makes new designs boring "one of the many" and overload the GM. I think it can't work.

3) Limit design teams to some niche (airforce\navy\land vehicles\small arms) and keep other weapons in a vague background. I think this approach can work rather nicely. Yet some players may find it boring to focus in one field.

4) Declare design teams to be nothing but a part of national industry. Everything that is not designed by players exists as developed by others\procured abroad or something. The problem here is that GM either needs to design everything himself(If he tries to do that he will either go mad or abandon the game) or force players to guess what kind of local designs are their competitors and what kind of enemy designs they need to defeat in battle

Which approach do you like the most? How to counter their disadvantages? Maybe you know 5th+ way(s)?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2016, 10:11:09 am »

Theres always allowing the ability to try importing designs, but that raises its own issues. Mostly trying to keepsome form of limits (say, by having a set of rolls for getting authorization, permission from the company/nation that makes it, availability, licensing) and then it depends on the players to even remember they can do it.

Limiting the number of design actions has merit, but then its nearly impossible to keep limits of them that make sense, arent over or under powered, and dont swamp the GM.

Now, combining numbers 1 and 3, to let there be pools of workers who can be set to work on a number of projects, is the worst in practice, and the best in theory, atleast mostly. However, if you want there to be any form of progression in the work force at all, the book keeping gets oppressive quickly, to the point where it becomes work, hard, aggravating work, to keep track without some form of program to help with it.

One of the best weapon design game I have seen was a mixture of 1, 3, and 4, wherein the players represented the management of one design lab in a nation, focusing mostly on a few aspects of the military, although they quickly started trying to do everything and the other groups became mostly just story aspects. Plus, the GM then has to select everything else that gets designed, which puts a fair amount of bias on some designs.

There was also one where each player was a corporation, making designs costed money, and then the designs had to be produced, but, well, that dident last long. A similar system, wherein the group is, say, an independent factory of some flavor, has some merit, but then its somewhat stifling and the bookkeeping, my god, the bookkeeping...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 78