Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Bard Quest! The succession legend.  (Read 11013 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: Bard Quest! The succession legend.
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2016, 12:54:01 pm »

A valliant and worthy quest, should we disregard how long it takes for an elf to mature, compared to the average crafting time of a dagger.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2016, 06:52:24 pm »

lolz, probably... the world seems pretty interesting, but i think it was genned huge for 500 years, so i had some lag on my computer
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2016, 03:18:04 am »

Thanks for the story ! Damned bogeymen ! They ended so many runs of mine :(

I'm starting my turn now ;)

Soon to come... The story of Lema Hethrean Tuthbistkash Jońu !
Or for those who don't speak the Golden Nation's tongue : Lema PassionGlory The Dark Jester of Music

Soon to come... The horrific stories of his adventures, and tales of his quests of sprawling death and murder music and joy...
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2016, 06:02:26 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Finally, here is my turn ! The first chapter of Lema PassionGlory the Dark Jester of Music !

* Prologue / Character creation *

Lema is a human peasant from the Golden Nation. Except in his village. No one ever heard of him.

Now Lema is not someone who you could call strong. He spent all his life in the hamlet of Wipeclimates, living with his foreparents. Everyday, he worked in the fields, growing crops. Farming was a hard work, and Lema wasn't strong enough for that. Pretty succeptible to diseaces, he often fell sick.

But Lema had a good way with words, and soon, the hamlet saw in him a pleasant companion, and enjoyed talking with him. Asking him to make performances such as poems, dances and fairy tales.
The whole village saw in him a funny odd guy. Very skinny and talky, a pleasing noise after a day of work, but not really a reliable farmer.

Sadly though, the loss of his parents when he was only a child led Lema to strange behaviours. He was greedy and prone to stealing items. And he had a real desire to proove he was skilled and unique.
His foreparents kept reminding him he was born a farmer, and doomed to die a farmer. That was the way of Life. It pissed him off badly. He wanted to make the world happy through music, it was unbearable that his dream couldn't become true !

*       Start of the quest !      *
* The hamlet of Wipeclimates  *

Today was a day of non work in Wipeclimates. Lima was hungry, so after making sure no one saw him, he took some strawberries from the storage bag. He had always loved strawberries, and used to stole some from time to time when he felt grim, like today.

He left the house without talking to his foreparents, heading for the house of the hamlet's clerk. He was asked to entertain the clerk today.
He danced a little and improvised poems.
The audience was pleased enough.

But Lema was sure he could do better. So, after the show, he kneeled in a corner of the house, and composed a piece of music. In his eyes, it was a decent piece of art, but he had to perform it to make sure. Without instruments, he would have to mimic them with his voice.

The performance wasn't good. But people got entertained anyway, mocking the sound of Lema's voice.
Since the farmers had a good time, they considered Lema a "skilled poet".

Night was turning in, and Lema didn't feel right. His last performance was poor, he knew it. Yet the farmers were happy with this crappy show. Lema thought of leaving this hamlet. He ate a strawberry for comfort and walked home.

When he arrived home, his forefather woke up before he could sleep.
After a argument, Lema knew it was time for him to leave the hamlet. Nobody cared for music and merriement the way he did.
He would leave by dawn.

But he would not leave without noise.
Before leaving, Lema sneaked to his parents' room, and cut their throats in their sleep !

He then stole their money, ate a strawberry, and moved onward. He would travel north, heading for the great cities of the Golden Nation.
Music and glory would be found there, that is for sure.
His quest had only began.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2016, 06:41:25 am »

For a Frechie, your English is better than most here on the forums
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2016, 09:30:42 am »

that escalated quickly... in typical dwarf fortress fashion, lolz

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2016, 06:34:55 pm »

R.I.P. Quathari, may your songs echo eternally throughout the lands (..did he get to compose any, btw?)

Hopefully Lema will live longer. It's also nice to see he got his parental issues ..sorted out.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2016, 06:43:59 pm »

I think this is longest lived adventurer so far... That's sad

(sry, on my phone)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:44:00 am by TheImmortalRyukan »

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2016, 10:10:33 am »

R.I.P. Quathari, may your songs echo eternally throughout the lands (..did he get to compose any, btw?)

Hopefully Lema will live longer. It's also nice to see he got his parental issues ..sorted out.

no, i was going for storyteller, so i didn't get to compose anything

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2016, 04:46:27 am »

* The road to RobustStoker *

Lema traveled North. He was heading to the town of RobustStoker. One of the 5 cities of the GoldenNation, not the biggest of them, but the closest.
He left the corpses of his freshly killed foreparents at dawn and walked all day along. But he overestimated his strenght because night  was falling in when he still was in the wilderness.

Luckily, there was a hamlet nearby. He rushed through the freezing darkness to the village.
Unfortunatly, he only found ruined houses.

No joy was to be found there. No living souls existed. Even the local Meadhall seemed empty.
Lema walked through the different rooms of the Meadhall and found two things :

- Firstly, many chests were scattered with valuables inside ! It was a great find !

Seeing all these valuable clothes, Lema couldn't stand stealing all of them !
Appearance is extremely important for bards, and with all this rich clothing, success is clearly in view !
He now wears a magnificent green turban over a headscard, a pair of gloves menacing with spikes of iron, and a pink earing. He will be so pimped !

- Then, in the last room of the mead hall stood a woman sleeping.
Lema woke her and started talking. The woman is a boss. She took over this hamlet a while ago, but all her men left her alone in this mead hall.

It looks like this woman shares the values of Lema about friendship, merriement and joy !
How pleasing to see a joyful being in such a place !
To celebrate, Lema improvised a poem and got granted the right to sleep for the night !

Lema left early on the next day. He was really happy to have met a being who loves music like him.
Hopefully, people in the city will all be like that.

After a short walk, he finally arrived at RobustStoker.
There he walked on paved roads for the first time, and headed to the Tavern.

There was another poet in this tavern. He was incredibly fat, and wasn't singing.
On a chest in a corner were some instruments : icops (string instruments), thothils (wind instruments), and a zepboc (string instrument).

The atmosphere was pretty grim in the tavern, so Lema started talking with the fat poet.
They agreed on singing a song.
Lema was singing, and the fat poet would mimic a zepboc, but not very well.

After a few more shows, Lema asked the poet if he wanted to join him to spread joy in the world; he replied that he would rather not...
After a quick argument, the fat poet left the tavern, swearing.

Annoyed with this negative answer, Lema went to the chest, stole the instruments from it, and started playing the zepboc !
A pikeman started singing alongside Lema, and everybody had a fun time.
After the show, Lema recruited the pikeman, named Thruni, as an entertainer.
Thruni was given the zepboc, and they started playing music again.

Reeeaaally ??! Thruni didn't play the instrument Lema gave him. He didn't even try !
He mocked it mumbling pointless noises while Lema was singing with all his heart !
Plus, he doesn't even have it in his hands, he is stuffed with war clothes and weapons...
This is not a joyful sight to see a warrior laughing ! Lema was angry.

But let's be honest, Thruni is a warrior, at least he could save Lema's life in times of trouble, so he didn't fire him from the band, and they both walked to the city's castle.

* A meeting with Lady Ibid *

In the mighty castle of RobustStoker, stood the law giver of the Golden Nation's North. Her name was Ibid, and she was pretty and young, and very fair in her ruling.

Thinking only about fame, Lema asked to be made an official performer for the Lady.
The lady wanted him to proove his worth, by singing, dancing, reciting poems and telling a story.

Lema was nervous, but he started singing (the spearman Thruni did too). Then they moved on to dancing, and everybody in the room joined the stimulating steps !

But now came the time to tell a great story...

Since Lema never did or saw much, he had trouble to find a story great enough for a palace like this.
So he recited the story of the killing of both his foreparents. It was a fact he experienced himself. He lived it and so, knew it in all its gruesome details.

After prooving his worth, Lema asked Lady Ibid what she thought of him now. She was very pleased.
But it seems that it wasn't enough...

Damned nobles ! The story telling was great ! Everyone in the room enjoyed the dance ! And yet this silly noble young Lady dismissed Lema !

By night, Lema came back to the castle when the Lady was asleep. He ate a strawberry silently, took the thothil in his hands, rose it above his head, and started hitting Lady Ibid with it !
"You don't like my music, hey ? How do you like that now !" he said as her majesty's body got beat up over and over again, bleeding her throat, breaking her nose, and exploding all her teeth.

He got spotted in the process though. Children woke up crying. The local cult leader saw Lema. His head would now be on a bounty, and it would be hard for him to survive.

There was nothing left for him in the Golden Nation. These people didn't understand music at all it seems. Lady Ibid deserved her fate, after all !

He had to flee. He would keep traveling North, to glory.
The World still needed to be entertained.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 05:13:39 am by Spriggans »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2016, 06:02:52 am »

I genuinely think that this adventurer is a tad bit phycotic...
Great story so far, you got your first noble kill in... Let's aim for the king next

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2016, 05:19:22 pm »

The World still needed to be entertained.
Looking at these past events, this last sentence has a bit of a frightening ring to it.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2016, 01:37:18 am »

OOC :
Hey everyone, I'm sorry but I won't have time to play Lema for a while.
Taking screenshots and writing stories takes some time ^^

I'm pretty busy at work, and don't have much spare time at home.
So I think I will retire my bard, eventually playing him later.
It was a Fun run !

The next person on the list can take his turn then !

The save can be found here
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 01:45:38 am by Spriggans »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2016, 02:25:50 am »

A worthy tale nonetheless. Well written too. Also a bit dark.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2016, 04:05:04 am »

A worthy tale nonetheless. Well written too. Also a bit dark.

Yes, I didn't feel like playing a casual good bard, loved by everyone, with tons of followers.
This is why I played as a peasant too; it's more challenging / rewarding.

To the next player : If you can find where Lema is, feel free to hire him to follow you ;) That could make a good story.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6