Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Bard Quest! The succession legend.  (Read 11024 times)

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bard Quest! The succession legend.
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2016, 05:51:42 pm »

So, it's been a few days and there's been some progress. I was planning to make an update earlier, but then I went on with the game. Here's a summary of what has gone by. I'll try to keep it short. Also, sorry for the small texts in some of the screenshots. I'm not sure why the upload does that.
-----

Iki Murderbanner on tour: Going south

The town of Fieryspeaks was quite unlike the ruined Waneamber. It was bustling with activity. It seemed like there were so many things to see and to hear, that going through the town felt like it was taking an eternity. Taverns were visited, as some random houses. Many ears heard Surely It Knows In The End. The town also had two temples. The first one actually resembled a giant swimming pool more than a temple. The second one was also a bit peculiar, as there were statues floating mid-air.

Spoiler: Levitating stone (click to show/hide)
Had something happened here? Iki was for a moment, tempted to push the statues a bit. But then, some rare voice of reason inside his head convinced him it might not be a great idea. He took a few looks at the artwork present and went on.

Spoiler: A new poem (click to show/hide)
Iki also felt an inspiration for a new poem. Yet, he was a bit disappointed with it afterwards.

There were still a couple of unvisited hamlets nearby. As Iki and his band of devouted(?) art practicioners visited one of the lords, a question was asked. A serious question. "What is the name of your troupe, o' bards most divine?" Of course, a name is what we need. A truly inspiring name.

This should do it. It's memorable, cheerful and original. Should be great for advertising.

And so, Murderbanner, the Enjoyable Grim Doom-Path of Burials continued south, where dwarves lived.

-----

A lone hamlet was all there was between the settlements near Fieryspeaks and the nearest dwarven hillocks. While journeying, Iki felt a desire. A new desire. He must write masterwork novels. He had heard dwarven fortresses were bastions of knowledge, even granting visitors the chance to produce written material.

And so, the hillocks of Pointtraded were reached. The dwarves turned out to be as good an audience as any. The fortress of Lancegleamed was right next to it, but alas, there was no sight of a library! Iki searched throughout the crowded halls, spending too much time in the progress. And it was all in vain. The journey must continue.

There were quite a many hillocks further south. Iki and his troupe did the same they had done before. Doing spontaneous pop-up concerts in people's houses and lordly halls, accompanied with ferocious poetry recitals and storytelling. And then, in the fortress of Ringedprophet, a library was finally found! Iki marvelled at the hundreds of books and scrolls stored in. Then reality struck. Only a true masterpiece would ever stand out and be remembered. Nevertheless, Iki was keen to give it a go.

Iki "borrowed" some (read=all) quires from the library and went inside the tavern. There, he would write:

No masterpieces. But he realized, he could write down the songs and poems he had composed. He could also gift them to lords and peasants alike, to make sure no-one ever forgets his magnificent works. A few works were placed on the library that gave Iki the gift of writing. Then it was yet again time to move on. At this point, there was no certainty what would come across. There was supposed to be a larger dwarven kingdom somewhere along the mountain range east-southeast. But as no sites were seen nearby, preparations for a longer journey were made.

Now, it's a good time to introduce some of the new performers who had joined in during the travels this far:

First, there's a tavern keeper from Fieryspeaks. She also happens to be the lady of the local lord. Yet, she decided to leave it all behind when a random bard came in and asked her to join as an entertainer. A proof that Iki Murderbanner must be truly irresistable. Then, there's a goblin dancer. She hates Iki's poetry. In turn, Iki's heart is filled with everlasting hatred towards her. A dwarf drunk had also joined. He thought it would be a great idea. And then, there's an elephant man. He was found at the trade depot, right next to the library. He is greater in size than our warriors combined. Truly a valuable asset.

(Quite many merchants turn out to be animal people, btw)

---

The troupe went on. Surprisingly, a few more dwarven sites were found. Iki and the troupe reached Sneakearth..

..which was populated by a hostile gang of goblins!

The goblins were weak. There were no casualties on Iki's side, although one goblin managed to shaft a spear into Iki's other arm as Iki was bashing the creature frantically with his kost. The hit severed nerves, and the quire he was holding in his hand fell down to the ground. It was then, when Iki realized again that he is no warrior, therefore he should keep his distance to anything that looks harmful. On the other hand, he much enjoys bashing skulls in..

The goblin corpses were piled up and much merriment was had. It sure felt nice to dance on the corpses of lifeless goblins. Iki felt mighty. He should take over this place and become lord! Thus, a claim was made. Although, there were still some goblins around other buildings. More slaughter ensued. It turned out the leader of the goblin group was an elf. Elf! A goblin patrol squad kept Iki from truly claiming the site. The troupe managed to kill the other goblin from the squad, but the remaining one constantly fled in fear, no-one being able to catch him. Yet again, there was not too much time to waste, so Iki had to let the bugger go. But he swore to return one day..

Next to Sneakearth was the fortress of Windheal.. except there was no fortress. Only a couple of bridges across a stream and some roads (there was still considerable lag, possibly a bugged site without an entrance?). The hillocks of Painthero was a normal settlement, and definitely the last one visible nearby. The next step is to continue east, along the borders of the mountain range..

-----

..the wilderness never ends. Were there supposed to be dwarves out here? Iki had yet again serious trouble crossing rivers, as he couldn't swim, although he knew how to swim.. until finally he realized he could just run and jump over streams. The rivers claimed Gasom, who also was apparently unable to keep himself from drowning.

The wildlife turned out to be quite funky at times.

Iki tried to recruit the sponge man swimming in the river, but the creature was very reluctant to do so. The troupe left, but came back once more and found the sponge man standing next to the river. After a brief discussion about values, the poor thing died. Maybe it's better to leave aquatic creatures alone in the future and not give them crazy ideas of touring across the lands..

Then came these ugly insect fellows.

They turned out to be non-hostile, although everyone kept talking about how they had attacked the troupe members. After a few masterful musical performances, one of them actually agreed to join Iki, as an entertainer! For some reason, the thrips woman doesn't want to join the troupe itself. But whatever, she's with us now.

-----

After many painful days spent travelling in the wilds, human settlements were finally sighted. The environment turned out quite hazardous in the last part of the trek when plains were reached. The lands were infested with snakes, elephants, hippos, even alligators.. In the end, Gasom, Sorus and the elephant man never saw the hamlet of Paintedbrown. Gasom drowned, as stated before, but the fates of Sorus and the elephant man Zefon remained a mystery. They disappeared one at their time, and were never seen again (my guess is they went after wildlife and got chewed).

But the show must go on.
Spoiler: The steppe village (click to show/hide)

The thrips woman generates general confusion around her, but there have been no conflicts so far. After a visit to the local lord's place, a goblin lasher found her place among Murderbanner. Thus it is time to introduce:

There's a town nearby, and many more settlements further east. They shall be the next places this tour lands on. It would be great to reach the dwarven kingdom, but it might be quite doubtful to think they'll ever be found at this rate..

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2016, 03:59:57 pm »

Welp. Goblins happened. I guess my turn is over. I'm quite tired atm, so I'll write a report tomorrow. It won't be a very long one.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2016, 08:25:59 pm »

Must say I'm enjoying your writing so far. Keep it up. :)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2016, 08:27:04 pm »

oooh, yay, my turn is coming next, I'll reread the thread just to get a feel for how things work, to be honest, I stopped reading after the first page....
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2016, 07:38:31 pm »

Sorry for the slight delay. Here's the grande finale (there's not very much to tell):

Murderbanner, the Enjoyable Grim Doom-Path of Burials, coming to your town soon enough!

The town in the steppes was huge! It easily surpassed every other town in size Iki had seen so far. There were buildings everywhere. There also were people everywhere. Most numerous were all the different domestic animals.
Spoiler: Animal swarm (click to show/hide)

Either the town gelders weren't doing their job, or they were doing it totally wrong.. Actually there were so much everything around everywhere that Iki decided it would be for the best to leave the town (horrible lag) and concentrate more on entertaining the neighbouring hamlets.

Outlaws, yet again. They seem to come up everywhere. They mostly seem to be poorly equipped and outnumbered though. No harm done to us, except our dancer Bosa's mind maybe.

Iki authored a book in Jadebristle, which was a chronicle of him becoming the lord of "The Moist Band". Not that he remembers any of it though (It propably happened when I accidentially selected to claim a site some time ago. I cancelled it and never actually chose a name, or even stated out the claim to anyone. Apparently the position was still created)

The dirt munchers in Mauvenets were such lowly rabble. They angered Iki, as most of them ridiculed every one of his poems.
Spoiler: Art haters (click to show/hide)

The conversations with the locals revealed something, though. The town had been occupied by "The Mellow Union". No-one wanted to join in an insurrection. Fine, I'll fight for your freedom alone then, thought Iki. If high-quality poems can't make me revered here, maybe killing their tyrant will. And indeed, the lord of Mauvenets told he had risen to power a year before.
Spoiler: Occupation (click to show/hide)

Now, only one person stands between Iki and his ascension to lordship, when his name would be written in legends and told throughout the lands. Just one swing, and all hell would break loose.

Iki gasped for air. This was supposed to be an easy task. The moment he had attacked the local lord, Iqua, the newest troupe newcomer turned his back on us. He attacked Atal, who seemed to be as willing to fight. The rest of the troupe on the other hand, seemed not to care at all about the events unfolding around them, barely moving along with Iki. Atal was quickly taken down. Then Iqua, and the tyrant lord came after Iki. Apparently, the rest of the troupe weren't held responsible.

The fight went on and on. For some reason, Iki was consistently able to either dodge, or parry the vicious lashes of Iqua with one of his books. The lord was also unable to get any real damage through. And neither was Iki. The strikes of his bronze kost were also parried or dodged, and if anything went through, in most cases they were deflected by armor. Even the tooth-crown of the lord was more than often enough to deflect the hit of Iki's bronze instrument. And the troupe just stood there discussing about various random things. They turned to be of use though, as Iqua and the lord mostly didn't try to move through them, so Iki was able to buy some time now and then by just moving around the crowd. But the battle just dragged on and on. Everyone was getting tired. And finally, over-exhausted. First, Iqua passed out. Iki saw this opportunity and grabbed his throat. Iqua quickly suffocated. The same fate befell upon the lord Komo Facelaws, which was ironic as he had boasted on choking the previous occupant of Mauvenets to death also.

The deed was done, and dead were thrown outside. The villagers then welcomed Iki as their new lord.. and spat at him. First they were complaining about the occupation, and now they were all shocked and horrified when something was done about it. Fine, have it your way then!

A road connected the hamlets further to the east. They should be reachable before sunset. The troupe went on.

Suddenly, alligators were spotted. Although some of Iki's companions wanted desperately to go and get their limbs bitten off, Iki decided a general retreat would be a good idea at this point.

And so, no lives were lost.

..until the next hamlet was reached.

Much to Iki's surprise, this hamlet was also populated by goblins. And by lots of them! Unfortunately, the fact wasn't revealed to him until he opened the door of a common looking house and stepped inside. The goblins weren't expecting us. But neither was Iki expecting the blow of an axe which hit his lower body (I messed up pasting yet again, so all of the texts aren't visible). And it didn't just hit, it also cut open his stomach and spilled his guts. Iki felt terror. This is a mortal wound. Damn you little green fiend..

As his blood was gushing out from his stomach, Iki's first thought was to get out of the house immediately. Which succeeded. The rest of the troupe had charged in and were all over the goblins. Iki dragged himself accross the street. The bleeding must be stopped. But how? Maybe a little rest would help? Oh yes, I'm bleeding. What about travelling a bit? Oh yes, still bleeding. Iki kept going. He had to get out of here. But the blood-loss was horrible. He didn't leave blood stains behind him as he walked. No, it was blood POOLS instead. Iki was feeling faint. Is this how it ends? What about all the glorious deeds done? This can't be right. Will anyone remember the bard of legends, Iki Murderbanner? Blasted goblins..

Everything was getting dark.

And thus, he fell.
-----

Rest in peace, dear Iki. It was a fun run. Here's a peek of what the legends have to tell about him:

Got even a few kills. And bragged about killing a kobold everywhere. I guess I could say touring around places is quite hazardous. Now Iki's luck ran dry. He would have not made it nearly this far if he had not had that large band of disposable heroes with him. Improving skills is also rather slow, so becoming a truly masterful bard seems to be quite a challenging and time-consuming task. Unless you stick to one place, but then, no-one else out there knows about you. I'm actually quite sad Iki died, I enjoyed his trip so far. I feel much more could've been achieved. But oh well, such is life. Time for the next victi.. entertainer to step up!

Here's the save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11840

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2016, 08:28:06 pm »

Magnificient!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 08:40:28 pm »

Oooh boy, I was wondering if there is an in-game time limit, because Spring Break is this coming week, so almost continuous nonstop play...

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 09:04:48 pm »

Oooh boy, I was wondering if there is an in-game time limit, because Spring Break is this coming week, so almost continuous nonstop play...
If that's your plan, then maybe consider starting as a hero or lower instead of demigod, for a proper rags to riches story.

Also, this lond of thread and stories make me want to learn adventure mode. I'm sure Id have tons of fun if i could understand how to... eat.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2016, 05:24:29 am »

e - a/b/c/d

You lick the iron spear.

In DF Adventure Mode, you either die a weakling peasant, or live long enough to become a super saiyan.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2016, 05:59:01 am »

Truth ^     

Great story Vuohijumala, may the legend of iki murderbanner live on!!!

Can't wait for the next one guys, adv mode is great, i know i have some dastardly plans for my "bard" (using the loosest definition of the term) but i'm excited to see what happens next!!!
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2016, 06:32:53 am »

If it's not too late, I'd love to sign up for a turn!

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2016, 09:35:50 am »

Glad so many liked the story! Do we take a second run of turns at some point, btw?

Also, this lond of thread and stories make me want to learn adventure mode. I'm sure Id have tons of fun if i could understand how to... eat.

Yeah, learning adv. mode and all it's quirks can be quite frustrating at first (especially the clumsy and confusing inventory/equip-system). But once you get the hang of it, it'll be somewhat smooth going. And there will be many infuriating deaths.. :D

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2016, 10:49:06 am »

I actually played adv. Mode first and I play it way more than fort mode

BTW the next legendary bard is a mantis woman... I only found out they could fly AFTER I created her... An added bonus I guess
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:52:46 am by TheImmortalRyukan »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2016, 10:55:02 am »

Alright this story got me sign me up.

You want rags to riches? What if I start as a peasent outsider.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2016, 05:58:50 am »

Alright this story got me sign me up.

You want rags to riches? What if I start as a peasent outsider.

peasant outsider and you don't even get the rags, lolz... but i intend to start as a peasant as well, makes the game more challenging
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6