Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Bard Quest! The succession legend.  (Read 11023 times)

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
Re: Bard Quest! The succession legend.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 06:20:39 pm »

So true story: I retired my bard in the first elven retreat he started in with virtually no progress at all and started a fortress to produce fodder for legends and now it's apparently frozen. ( I think I triggered a cavein? ) I decreased it's niceness and am now waiting out the lag. ( I can still hear the music, so it's not completely dead. If worse comes to worse, I backed up the save before I started the fort and we can use that instead. ) It was approaching Winter at the time with the intention to get a tavern and some nice offices done and then retire it. If I can get it unfrozen, finish off the well, tavern, and offices, I'll retire the fort and pass the save on to the next player.  I just happened to be online checking out some comics, so I figured I owed you all that. For now the story of Pari:

After entering the Elven Retreat, Pari assumed that everything would be easy now: Just sing and dance like he had for the wilderness creatures. He had heard a lot about elves, about their kindness to animals and their respect for trees and nature. Surely it wouldn't be hard to gain their admiration and a place among more intelligent creatures than those of the woods. With his mother's tragic passing Pari knew that now was the time to leave the woods behind for the more civilized woods to the south. Pari had never known his father, but that wasn't unusual for stoats. So why did he feel so differently about things? He knew that he was not normal and had more in common with the creatures he had seen to the south, but he couldn't have abandoned the woods so easily. For whatever reason his mother had lived longer than usual for a stoat and he was not going to leave her when she was unable to hunt for herself anymore. "It was inevitable" he said with a sigh after burying the elderly female stoat. He grasped the copper spear he had stolen from some abandoned camp and squirmed uncomfortably in the clothes he was still getting used to wearing. The only thing of the civilized world that seemed to make sense to him was music, so it was that passion he was going to follow.

Unfortunately for the stoat man, he was not as talented as he thought he was and he knew far less of the language than he thought he had. He kept practising, though and learning from the elves, but their reputation for kindness to animals was quite clearly a lie. ( Or perhaps, just didn't apply to animal people. ) As he learned more and more of the nuances of language and expression among the civilized folk, he learned more and more how little they thought of him and his ability. Discouraged he determined to practice every day for a year to become worthy of at least some respect, and in time his goal grew and blossomed in an ambition to become well-known and well-loved throughout all the forests of all the lands and maybe, just maybe, among the creatures of the mountains and plains whom he only saw on rare occasion. From them he learned of wealth and fame and he knew that he wanted that for himself. He also began to think that if he were wealthy he would be well liked and perhaps able to find a mate of his own to love and start a family with. It enriched his song and galvanized his determination. 

I also made a homicidal Plump Helmet Man who wants to rule the world, but retired him to let his leg heal. He spawned a comic.

Hopefully that's satisfying and do you guys mind if I take another few days to, ahem "enrich" the world's history while we discuss?

UPDATE: In the time it took me to write this, DF unfroze. :D So we're back on track and should be able to hand off to the next player late tonight/early tomorrow and maybe we'll have more adventures of the Plump Helmet Man and Pari. You ready for the fun times Vuohijumala?

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 04:15:08 am »

Is there still interest in playing this? The save is ready to be handed off at any time and I haven't heard back from Vuohijumala since having given him a PM. If there's anybody on the turn list who's ready to play, speak now please.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 04:51:23 am »

Whoops! Sorry, I hadn't noticed I have messages. Just came to read this thread. But yeah, I can definitely take the challenge. I am blessed of having a week of free time so I should be able to make it fairly quick.

Darn, that "[1]" next to "my messages" should be way bigger.. Propably wouldn't even have noticed it. My apologies, yet again.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 05:27:20 am »

Whoops! Sorry, I hadn't noticed I have messages. Just came to read this thread. But yeah, I can definitely take the challenge. I am blessed of having a week of free time so I should be able to make it fairly quick.

Yay ! Go for it ! Seduce the world with your voice ! Make everyone cheer in admiration of your exciting verses !
Or die a horrible death after a drunk dwarf punches you in the head because you sang too loud...

The quest beyond is up to you :)
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 06:16:09 am »

Darn, that "[1]" next to "my messages" should be way bigger.. Propably wouldn't even have noticed it. My apologies, yet again.
S'okay, I was just wondering. I'll be uploading the save promptly and I'll link it over after.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 09:16:20 am »

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 12:10:10 pm »

Great! I just got the save. Took a while to load, so I guess there's quite much to explore. I'm tempted to try a slug man, but I'll propably make a human bard. What's our definition of "famous", btw? :D

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 01:18:39 pm »

Great! I just got the save. Took a while to load, so I guess there's quite much to explore. I'm tempted to try a slug man, but I'll propably make a human bard. What's our definition of "famous", btw? :D
I dunno actually. I hadn't thought of it beyond a general ambition to drive questing. I guess then that the quest is what you make of it and you should just try to have fun and set your own goals. A good sign you're succeeding, however is showing up in the legends as much as possible, being mentioned by other characters to subsequent players, or having a fun to read story in this thread. Feel free to share your bard's story how you like and share whatever discoveries interest you. I encourage,  but don't require, you writing your bard's story as poetry, an autobiography, or a biography,  but even if you just list events or use screenshots please tell us about your bard as you go along! :D

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 07:14:11 pm »

Famous is probably If you have a reputation in legends mode for being a really awesome bard/musician etc. (it is achievable) ask some about yourself and they tell you that you are a legendary musician etc.

Or selling a huge amount of your bone carvings so players find them in later playthroughs

Writing a biography of yourself in adventure mode (also possible)  and that has some sweet effects, like actually getting copied and spread around. And it gives you an entry in the worlds artifact list.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

lunephile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 09:38:31 pm »

I am absolutely down for this...please do put my name in the hat when you can. Also - I will go for bonus points, those points being:
Actually writing the poem composed by my Adventurer. Points to be added based on how closely the poem follows the guidelines of its poetic parameters, AND how much it mirrors the characteristics of my Adventurer + his/her experiences in the world.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2016, 09:35:32 am »

I am absolutely down for this...please do put my name in the hat when you can. Also - I will go for bonus points, those points being:
Actually writing the poem composed by my Adventurer. Points to be added based on how closely the poem follows the guidelines of its poetic parameters, AND how much it mirrors the characteristics of my Adventurer + his/her experiences in the world.
Now, that would be something :D It would require some studying of poetry, though. Brings me a memory from my high school days. Our class was assigned to write a poem in 30 minutes, then everyone would read what they've written. Everyone else's poem was fine, except mine. "That's interesting, but that's not actually a poem", said the teacher, never explaining why it wasn't. Then we all attached our poems to our class wall. The next day mine wasn't there anymore.

It still hurts.

But let's get back to present times. I played a bit yesterday. But as usual, I took way too many screenshots and organizing them has been a pain. I also wasn't paying enough attention on pasting screenshots, so now I have quite many screenshots missing their lower parts. And that's where all the fun is.. But I still have quite a nice array of them and I'll make an update later today.

Hey, what if we'd go real hardcore... and actually compose the SONGS we make ingame!

lunephile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 11:32:29 am »

Ahh high school. I remember those awful awkward days. It's a wonder we all survived with our psyches intact.
Sadly, these dwarfs seem to have their own brutal critics, as seen in:
Urist McCritic: This poet is awful.
Urist McPhilistine: Maybe I just don't like art.

And I will take your other challenge as well  :) I have the Boltlulled saga to work on today (which is turning pretty downright epic) and I'm looking forward to seeing what bardic madness you got up to here.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 06:19:52 pm »

Ahh high school. I remember those awful awkward days. It's a wonder we all survived with our psyches intact.
Indeed.. :D

Suddenly had a busy day, but hey here's an update!

-----
The beginning tour of Iki Murderbanner

Spoiler: My bard of choice (click to show/hide)
This is Iki Murderbanner, a male human. He hails from Stickraven, a northern hamlet in the lands that belong to the Confederancy of Shanks. I took a bit of a risk and invested in his creative side, somewhat sacrificing physical attributes and forgetting about weapon skills. His weapon shall be the instrument of his choice!

This is what he's like. I fully customized his values. I thought I knew what I was doing. Instead, he ended up being quite messed up in his head. Well, nevermind. It's time to go forth and become the most legendary of bards! Maim, sing, burn!

-----

It's time to start a tour. Stickraven neighbours a town, and another hamlet. They shall be the first places to enjoy the presence of Iki, a bard, poet, dancer, and a kost player. Then, Iki would continue south to other sites ruled by the Confederancy of Shanks. As talented (?) he was, Iki realized that the road would be harsh and full of dangers. He had a spear with him for some reason, but no skill with it. We are going to need some valiant warriors!

Spoiler: ..such as myself? (click to show/hide)
Unfortunately, warriors mostly ridiculed Iki. But maybe they would come to other thoughts when witnessing his art of pure magnificence?

It is time to compose!
This one turned out be my instant favourite. It's also quite short.

This is long as hell, but at least there's time to show off with the kost.

Spoiler: Other songs (click to show/hide)
Here's also an example of other popular songs already known throughout the lands. Heart: The Dirt Mourns is truly a masterpiece, I tell you. Iki likes to play Exits and Nothing More sometimes, as it can also be played with the kost. Oh, and The Sun Sets on Cluster? It's the second piece of Iki's remarkable compositions. He forgot to add the kost to the composition though, so he never performs it.

So Iki began his career as an entertainer at the hamlet of Stickraven. And indeed, a warrior agreed to follow Iki as a performer, as he was much amazed of his skills. But Iki's visions of grand performances constantly turned out to be utterly ruined by some peasant rabble practicing singing horribly and simulating instruments without any talent at all. We are going to need a proper troupe (comes with the extra occupation of being a meatshield)!

Iki did not only perform, he also had discussions with the locals.
A famous bard is going to be an inspiration to people. He ought to have some steadfast values people could follow.

Stickraven was quite a small hamlet. It was time to move on.

-----

The town of Waneamber seemed like a place not fit for living. Mostly it was in ruins. Yet, there were three different taverns (they even had people visiting them). A huge market was also bustling with activity, so the place was surprisingly alive.

Of course, Iki went through all the places where people gathered, and performed. He recited his very own poetry and performed music. Gradually, more people joined him in his journey. He even wrote a choreography:
Spoiler: Suddenly we dance (click to show/hide)

But lo and behold! What is this?

Iki's own poetry, recited by another aspiring poet! Better set things straight.
Spoiler: Conversation (click to show/hide)
Iki and the mysterious bard, who never even told him who he was, had a fierce conversation. And in the end, it was Iki who had to let the matter go.

At the time it came to leave Waneamber, Iki had finally gathered a troupe. The last addition was a grackle man, just because he was a man with the head of a grackle.
Spoiler: Our gang (click to show/hide)

Gladthinned, the last hamlet before the trek south was quiet in the moonlight. Except for the two scoundrels who came and demanded everyone to yield. No one accepted. The situation was at standstill, until Iki made the action that escalated things, just for the sake to see something happening here. He hit the other bandit in the head with his kost and all hell broke loose. Outnumbered, the ruffians were quickly mowed down and hacked to pieces, while Iki stood by and watched. In delight.

As dawn broke, there was yet again entertaining to be done.

Then, it was time to go south. Iki had heard there was a kobold camp along the way. Surely, we have to spread the joy of music to the kobolds as well, thought Iki.

-----

The town of Fierypeaks was reached after a day's travelling. Sadly, the travel did cost the life of our dancer. Aand I almost got to begin writing Iki's memorial. There was this river which had to be crossed. Although Iki can swim, he almost drowned immediately when he entered the water. He took another try, at which point the dancer jumped also into the water. And drowned. Iki crawled back to the shore, winded. It later turned out the river's end was just a couple of miles south. Had we seen a bit further, this whole filling your lungs with water thing could have been completely avoided..

But oh well, the folks down south totally love the performances. Especially Iki's talent in kost playing.
Unfortunately, our warrior likes to sing and his performance is outrageously awful.

In case you've been wondering what the kost actually is like, here's a description:
Spoiler: This is the kost (click to show/hide)

And so, Iki was also appointed as a performer by the lady of Fieryspeaks a hamlet next to Fieryspeaks. Such marvelous talent he has. His values have also been accepted among peasant, lords and priests alike. Actually, barely no-one ever argues about the worthlessness of law. Even the lords just seem to be already thinking like that. A few arguments have been had on the worthlessness of peace, but usually people tend to agree quite quickly. Marvelous.

After Fieryspeaks and it's hamlets, we shall continue even further south. Or south-west actually. Someone said there's dwarves over there. They shall know Iki Murderbanner.
-----

Whew, next updates will propably have less screenshots.. So far it's been a nice start. Just hoping it won't be Iki drowning in a river next..

I'm actually tempted to write Surely It Knows In The End. I've also considered about trying to compose a song created in DF in the past, but I'm not sure if I have the time or proper skill. But I might try something. Maybe not during my turn, but possibly later.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:37:41 pm by Vuohijumala »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2016, 02:57:45 am »

Great start for Iki ! :)

So.. What was the deal with the "fuse lobed ears baby" ?? It was a baby reciting poems ?? =O
Was it human ?
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2016, 08:39:57 am »

So.. What was the deal with the "fuse lobed ears baby" ?? It was a baby reciting poems ?? =O
Was it human ?
Yes, he recited Iki's poems. I guess he was human. A human baby in a tavern, performing. I should have asked him to join the team.. :D

Btw, does anyone have a clue about why adventurer music/dance performances suddenly stop before reaching the end? I think it usually happens if you've got companions. Sometimes I can get through a song without problems, but sometimes it just halts after the first line or two. I guess it gets interrupted or something, but have no idea by what. It's annoying, especially now when the purpose of an adventurer is to perform as much as possible.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6