Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: demon tatics  (Read 2201 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
demon tatics
« on: March 30, 2007, 07:37:00 pm »

okay, i know there are lots of cheap ways to take demons out, with bridges and such.  even flooding them seems a little cheap.

I want to run a nice standup fight with the demons, and i was wondering what experience other people had with that?

how effective are archers?  If i create a chokepoint and killing room, would it probably take them down?

code:
########################
..................######
...................#####
...................#####
..................######
########################

do they appear from the pits one by one, or do they all rush at once?  I think the popular method is probalby to discover the pits, fall back, and prepare defenses for when the demons hit full force.

if they come one by one, wouldnt it be better to have a military force right behind your miner to bonk them before they pop out?

any other bright ideas?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: demon tatics
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 07:44:00 pm »

Theres a small pause of a minute or two before they start coming. And they are invisible untill someone gets close. I would suggest having some war dogs on chains right outside where they come out before you dig in there.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »

moat and drawbridge  ;)

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 07:58:00 pm »

Ok, the Demons kicked my butt when they came out. So... make sure you have a real nice military if you want to do something like this.    You may want to try placing a ballista or two at the beginning of that tunnel... commanded by legendary siege operators, they could do some nice damage. As long as they don't run first (maybe placing them on the opposite side of the magma?) Using war dogs as suggested would allow you to know when to fire at them. Make sure you  have as many troops stationed at the battle ground as possible. If you charge them one on one, you will die. Just ganging up on them should give you some advantage. (I once took down a demon just by recruiting a bunch of random dwarves and having them wrestle it to death).

Hope that helps at all.   ;)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 09:05:00 pm »

I was able to hold them with my archers around a blind corner-but when they ran out of arrows, they trashed my spear and axedwarves and slaughtered 2 or 3 dozen dwarves before I could stop them. If more of my Dwarves had rallied in time, I would have not lost so much-but luckily it was the fire demons who got the brunt of the damage. So the only fires were 2 horses and a legendary marksdwarf who was part of the first 7. Have lots of crossbows to back up your melee fighters, or youll get the hallway of death.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 09:26:00 pm »

just have an area behind fortifications that is filled with bins of bolts, and station your marksdwarves in that... preferably behind water-filled channels as well.

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 10:38:00 pm »

I've done something similar in my current game, and 5-6 marksdwarves, trained to Talented or so did decently with a similar chokepoint setup. Unfortunately they shot out all of their (normal quality) iron bolts on the first 3-4 demons and one dwarf died in melee against the last two demons while the rest scampered off to my ammo stockpile and back again. Better planning with an ammo stockpile underfoot would have saved her.

Of course, I actually had about 10 similar marksdwarves trained to that quality, given the eat/drink/sleep duty cycle of dwarves. It was a small enough force for the fight to be interesting. There was a slight chance of a Spirit of Fire disaster, multiple losses and even a fire-spreading fortress 'o death scenario, which kept me interested.

seizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 05:19:00 am »

The last time I fought the demons (which was a long time ago, mind) 3 swordmasters and 15 or so assorted military dwarfs took them down without too much trouble.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 10:49:00 pm »

Generally I'd go with a few tanks in front and behind them a legion of marksdwarves. Just keep the demons in a one square tunnel and start shooting. Its actually pretty easy if you do that. Yeah and the ammo underfoot is definitely a good idea.

Bagpuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 12:51:00 pm »

I stuffed about 20 elephants into cage and then installed a flood gate behind that. When the demons came out I closed the flood gate and released the elephants. The demons took down a few calves before they eventually stomped on.

Operation Meatshield was a success!

I only had to deal with the occasional wanderer after that who was quickly taken down.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 02:15:00 am »

I had lots of crossbowdwarves, bolts, and a long hallway.  I dug out a side area to station the groups I'd made.  I had a squad of all the elite craftsdwarves.  The way I did it was everyone in the army to shoot at the demons, and have the elite units attack while the demons were busy.  Really hard to control everyone... killed all the demons, but everyone went crazy and died of wounds or starvation.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 11:09:00 am »

thats just awsome with the elephants.  sadly, im not playing on an elephant map this time.

i dont think an army of deer and wolfs would have the same effect.

but maybe TROLLS!  i could put out a bunch of cage traps, and capture an entire goblin invasion force! oh... oh that would be so great.

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 12:58:00 pm »

Hmm. Don't underestimate the value of even foxes and deer as cannon fodder.

I've never encountered demons, but I habitually have a few animals on ropes near the magma flow. When someone shows up hurling fireballs, the animals just die, kitten, dog or elephant. But the workers may run to safety in the mean time.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »

On a somewhat related note, I have let my horses breed and run wild just outside my doors.  They have already trampled to death several kobold thieves and a kobold ambush.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

not nearly as cool as you attack cows.  why did you switch?
Pages: [1] 2