Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100867 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas
« Reply #840 on: April 20, 2016, 11:09:55 pm »

I don't think the public will allow the idea of humans bred to be soldiers to even be considered long enough for us to find out if it really is possible.

Things like this shouldn't stop discussion in this thread however since the point of this thread is to see ideas out to the end no matter how insane they may be
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 20, 2016, 11:11:44 pm »

Who needs genetically engineered supersoldiers? Put a neural processor in someone's head, give them access to satellites nearby, a large amount of drones, heavy (preferably powered, reactive or both) armor, and long-range missile batteries, and you've got yourself a hand-built supersoldier that can be recruited of the street.

Once you've got said supersoldier, you can also make a front company and sell neural processors (of a lesser quality, of course) to the general public. More money, more supersoldiers.

Plot of syndicate sort of? Minus countries using them for war and more companies using them for espionage sort of??

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 20, 2016, 11:12:01 pm »

What about a bomb that disperses narcotic smoke over the enemy to hamper their ability to fight back? Then you just take them out with infantry. 420, blaze it, etc.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 20, 2016, 11:26:42 pm »

Here's an idea for a very "entertaining" weapon:

Let's say we've mastered anti-gravity. We can suspend anything, for however long we want. This might also contain energy, and while I doubt it, let's say it does for this. We have antimatter, or a nuclear bomb, depending on how much damage you want to do. Since an anti-grav/contollable-grav field can hold in energy, we keep setting off nuclear bombs/adding antimatter into this sphere until we reach however large we want the final explosion. Then, we release all the energy at once in one, huge explosion, wiping out anything in the blast radius.

If you wanted an effective smoke bomb, put in a knock-out gas or some other chemical, and either make it quickly dispersable outside of the body or give everyone gas masks. Alternatively, areosolize fuel and release it into the air; a small spark will cause an explosion at that point.

EDIT: I'm assuming you want prisoners with the first one and have no problem with anything else in the area with the second.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 20, 2016, 11:29:26 pm »

What about a bomb that disperses narcotic smoke over the enemy to hamper their ability to fight back? Then you just take them out with infantry. 420, blaze it, etc.
Stranger things have been studied.  This was also part of MKUltra (the use of LSD in battlefield chemical warfare) and apparently some work by the Soviets as well (meth), though the latter's work if it exists hasn't come to light as much as Western efforts have.  The problem is really one of effective delivery.  While you can get away with less for riot control and the like, most modern chemical weapons intended for the battlefield are effective in large part because they don't need to be inhaled (VX, sarin, or white phosphorus, for instance), and/or because you don't need significant doses to get a significant effect.  What you need is a narcotic that has debilitating effects even when small amounts are inhaled (or even better, absorbed through the skin; you don't want a simple gas mask to undo all your hard work), that won't be significantly affected by wind patterns, rain, or other nasty uncontrollable factors (the biggest thing affecting all chemical weapons), and if you want it to actually be non-lethal (otherwise, why aren't you using nerve agents? for a lot of people, chemical warfare is chemical warfare, and you may as well be hanged for a sheep as for a lamb), preferably without lethal overdose effects since you can't control how much is being absorbed by the targets. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:31:19 pm by Culise »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 20, 2016, 11:33:19 pm »

Not unless they're supersoldiers with a 'resist all poisons' gland.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 20, 2016, 11:50:28 pm »

Alternatively, areosolize fuel and release it into the air; a small spark will cause an explosion at that point.

Welcome to fuel-air/thermobaric bombs. Those are a thing, they're highly effective, they're also not classed as chemical.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 20, 2016, 11:59:20 pm »

Sorry for my little obsession with kinetic bombardment...

So it's my understanding that if the rods are weighty enough they can cause small tremors/earthquakes. This would by my understanding affect the foundations of buildings near the impact site. Now what if we drop a sort of sabot of several rods that breaks up to cause a shot gun spread over a large area let's say a mega city.

Now would these multiple impacts, let's say they are the normal Krods made for bunker busting but instead of 11 megaton yields they are 25 megaton. Would ten impacts (so a total of 250 megatons unless the combined strikes make them more powerful) within let's say a 100 km radius be enough to cause local earthquakes that would cause infrastructure damage outside of the impact areas?
(Yes I'm just playing with random numbers and useless/stupid weapons. Sue me.)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 21, 2016, 12:47:02 am »

Whut, where did the megatons come from? That kind of yield is not for busting bunkers, that's for busting a whole province.

The worst that would happen earthquake-wise is that it might shake around all the burning, melting rubble and screaming survivors-for not-much-longer. And that of course only if the area is in earthquake territory in the first place.

On the subject of supersoldiers: I could see the biggest gain there being in enhancing cognitive abilities, especially for pilots, tankers, etc. War machines are requiring ever more interaction with on-board computers and tactical input from command, and at some point the meaty element could become a serious bottleneck.

Especially if some sort of effective mind-machine interface could be developed then it might only take one person to operate a tank and they might do it a lot more effectively as well as there is no longer any delays from communication between crew members. Saving room could also help of course.

Politically super soldiers could cause all sorts of issues, but those would probably come along with every other dilemma presented by the opportunity of genetic manipulation. The trick I think would be to not breed specific supersoldiers, but 'enhance' each and every citizen with a general package (for the good of mankind of course) and specialize them for soldiering roles only after they themselves decide to sign up for the army. This ensures wide availability, the loyalty and dedication of a professional soldier and retains an edge the military has over the rest of the populace.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 21, 2016, 01:31:33 am »

Sorry for my little obsession with kinetic bombardment...

So it's my understanding that if the rods are weighty enough they can cause small tremors/earthquakes. This would by my understanding affect the foundations of buildings near the impact site. Now what if we drop a sort of sabot of several rods that breaks up to cause a shot gun spread over a large area let's say a mega city.

Now would these multiple impacts, let's say they are the normal Krods made for bunker busting but instead of 11 megaton yields they are 25 megaton. Would ten impacts (so a total of 250 megatons unless the combined strikes make them more powerful) within let's say a 100 km radius be enough to cause local earthquakes that would cause infrastructure damage outside of the impact areas?
(Yes I'm just playing with random numbers and useless/stupid weapons. Sue me.)

To clarify for Grimlocke, you mistook the earlier number of eleven tons TNT for eleven million tons TNT. A slight difference, I think you'll agree.

If you just want to kill a 100km range, 100 megatons will do for you nicely, that being the maximum yield of the largest nuclear weapon ever constructed by the human race, and stated to be capable of obliterating Connecticut by itself.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 21, 2016, 02:58:07 am »

First country to establish a space elevator gets dibs on cheap kinetic rod deployment. Of course the materials strong enough to maintain connection with earth aren't currently feasible to manufacture in sufficient quantity, but hey, theoretically possible.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 21, 2016, 03:26:55 am »

"And this, children," The teacher said pointing at the large, circular lake on holo-board "was the result of a one-letter communications error."
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 21, 2016, 03:57:07 am »

Though in fairness, you'd only get that lake with the K-rods. A full-yield Tsar Bomba would be airburst, with minimal cratering.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 21, 2016, 04:10:09 am »

"And this, children," The teacher said pointing at the large, circular lake on holo-board "was the result of a one-letter communications error."
"And then," Said the scientist, pointing at the large swathe of forest on the pin-up map, "We'll say it was a 'one-letter communications error'".
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 21, 2016, 04:23:47 am »

Well, if some mischievous scientists made you think the monstrous Tsar Bomba-analog is a bunker buster, you would just drop it right on top of the bunker  :P
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 91