Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100890 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!)
« Reply #675 on: April 08, 2016, 01:26:23 pm »

Modern physics continues to depress me in that regard. No artificial gravity, no FTL travel, no nothing. A shame that a practical understanding of the world takes all the fun out of it.

All I can do is either hope for proper VR, or hope that we're missing a major piece of the puzzle with the Standard Model.

Aw, I wouldn't say that. It just means that we'll have to do things the hard way!
There is ''artificial gravity'' in a way, we can use centrifugal rings to generate a substitute. That has limitations, of course, but what would all the engineers do if there weren't any limitations?  :D
FTL is a bit tougher, but as said above, we can't completely discount the thought that it might be possible. Also, moving near c will make the trip significantly shorter for the ship's occupants. You could say that it would ''Faster than light'' in a way.

Another way of doing things could be to simply prepare for a much longer journey - suspended animation of some sort is very much in the realm of possibility.

Yes, but that means that by the time you arrive, everyone who didn't go with you is dead many times over. Effectively, every trip is one-way.
Unless everyone is immortal. Which could make using suspended animation pointless; what does it matter that your trip will take 100 years if you're 100000 years old? Good time to catch up on a few television series.  :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 08, 2016, 01:28:37 pm »

dont discount gravitational waves as a thing!

You may not need magic mass, if you can create a standing sinewave. Space clearly has some elastic properties that are predictable, otherwise gravity waves would not propogate in a comprehensible manner. By understanding those elastic properties, one can create spectacular effects with small inputs.

Take for instance, the FloWave experiment. It uses a great big swimming pool, essentially, and some reasonably small solonoid driven paddles all around the circumference.  By carefully manipulating when and how much each paddle moves, very precise waveform reinforcement/dissipation can be accomplished. One of the more spectacular displays is the "concentric singularity" routine.  It basically causes a collosall 8 foot spike of water to erupt from the center of the pool, straight up. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHTcSKkUU8U

Gravity waves ripple in all three spacial dimensions, so all of space is the "surface" of the pool.  According to some sources I have read, creating very low energy gravity waves is very easy. You just need a rotating barbell shaped mass going end over end.  Putting lots of those in either a spherical or hemispherical arrangement, with a computed point as the desired location for the reinforced wave, you should be able to create a momentary gravity well of very significant intensity, and do so over and over and over again.

The vessel will have mass, and the induced gravity well, and the ship will be attracted to each other.  The well will dissipate as space returns to normal curvature, but the ship will continually fall forward toward each subsequent spike.

The ride would be a bit bumpy, but it would be reactionless drive.

Another interesting prospect is the creation of a galactic torus "racetrack" megaconstruction. Basically, small ringlike structures sit along the path of the resulting torus, and they impel standing gravitational waves down toward the next ring, which reinforces the incoming wave and slightly redirects it.  This creates a torus of fast moving spacetime, through which an object can be propelled very quickly down the "track". (possibly even at ftl) By carefully plotting your intersection with the torus, you can predict where you will pass out of it later.

Gravity being waves is mega awesome.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:32:18 pm by wierd »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 08, 2016, 02:11:31 pm »

I do like the idea of immortal starship crews. Of course, crews flying at high fractions of C would seem practically immortal to anybody planetside regardless, what with their tendency to show up a few years older once a generation.

Actually, my thought for an actual setting is basically to have spacecraft and space travel be cheap and easy, with torch drives and personal SSTOs available like cheap propeller aircraft nowadays.

However, such craft are small, comparatively slow, and nowhere near capable of interstellar travel. The starships themselves are huge, many-kilometer amalgams of all technology available to the civilization that built them, crewed by bioengineered immortals and each vessel important enough economically that it's effectively an independent organization, often with a personal military and considerable armament. They'd also, having been built to last as long as possible as a result of the sheer expense of making them, tend to stick around for centuries or millennia, often outliving the civilizations that built them.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 08, 2016, 05:37:24 pm »

Gravity waves ripple in all three spacial dimensions, so all of space is the "surface" of the pool.  According to some sources I have read, creating very low energy gravity waves is very easy. You just need a rotating barbell shaped mass going end over end.  Putting lots of those in either a spherical or hemispherical arrangement, with a computed point as the desired location for the reinforced wave, you should be able to create a momentary gravity well of very significant intensity, and do so over and over and over again.

The vessel will have mass, and the induced gravity well, and the ship will be attracted to each other.  The well will dissipate as space returns to normal curvature, but the ship will continually fall forward toward each subsequent spike.
But can we put them in boots?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 08, 2016, 05:44:48 pm »

Geckotape is superior in every way.

Inexpensive. Requires no additional power. Lightweight. works in both vacuum and atmosphere. works on all surfaces, even really thin ones and non conductive ones.

Seriously. Boots? use geckotape.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 08, 2016, 05:51:48 pm »

Geckotape is superior in every way.

Inexpensive. Requires no additional power. Lightweight. works in both vacuum and atmosphere. works on all surfaces, even really thin ones and non conductive ones.

Seriously. Boots? use geckotape.
Well, it doesn't help you if you lose contact with the surface, or -- I would assume -- dirty and like-charged surfaces.

I mean, you should probably just use suit thrusters at that point. But still, grav boots.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:58:41 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 08, 2016, 06:13:00 pm »

geckotape works BEST on smooth, flat surfaces. It has issues on dirty surfaces though. (as in, dusty.)

Thankfully it can be cleaned while in EVA with a simple brush.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 08, 2016, 10:50:19 pm »

Well the point of ot is that the ships are made to be in constant artificial gravity so having hand holds where you walk would be a hazard. The boots are just in emergency if that segment of the ship stops spinning
I was thinking more of the recessed variety, possibly even with one of those spring-loaded trapdoor thingies to keep it out of the way during normal operation.  Trained crews would just know where the are from the coloring, and get practice when things are spun down.

The lack of heavy boots allows for much more dramatic space-fu maneuvers during boarding actions :)

Well the boots aren't meant to be all that heavy, assuming that there is a space fairing civ I imagine high strength lightweight magnets can't be that hard to make/find
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 08, 2016, 10:54:51 pm »

Well the point of ot is that the ships are made to be in constant artificial gravity so having hand holds where you walk would be a hazard. The boots are just in emergency if that segment of the ship stops spinning
I was thinking more of the recessed variety, possibly even with one of those spring-loaded trapdoor thingies to keep it out of the way during normal operation.  Trained crews would just know where the are from the coloring, and get practice when things are spun down.

The lack of heavy boots allows for much more dramatic space-fu maneuvers during boarding actions :)

Well the boots aren't meant to be all that heavy, assuming that there is a space fairing civ I imagine high strength lightweight magnets can't be that hard to make/find
And then it turns out that they're so hard to find they create the standard for currency.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 08, 2016, 10:57:51 pm »

Oh on space fairing civs

Would a space ship made of multiple rings around a tube filled with let's say power stations be an effective design for a space ship with artificial gravity? (Not exactly a weapon but this will lead into it)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 08, 2016, 11:07:42 pm »

Hard to beat centrepital force for creating gavity like conditions.  The disorientation of the effect at feet vs at head can be overcome if the ship is big enough, and rotation slow enough.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 09, 2016, 07:09:45 am »

Hard to beat centrifugal force for creating gravity-like conditions.  The disorientation of the effect at feet vs at head can be overcome if the ship is big enough, and rotation slow enough.
FTFY.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 09, 2016, 09:15:48 am »

Before we go further would people prefer the use of metric or US standard for when units get brought up?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 09, 2016, 09:16:48 am »

Metric, because science.

Alternatively just (metric/imperial).
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 09, 2016, 09:52:26 am »

Metric.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 91