Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100885 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!)
« Reply #660 on: April 07, 2016, 07:23:16 pm »

They didn't have forty years of continuous development Strife.  And it isn't some senators pet project like that entire list you just put up was, this is entirely a pentagon op, like the Abrams and the Apache.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 07, 2016, 07:41:40 pm »

Would magnetic boots be an actual practical way to move around in microgravity, or would they be impractical?

In theory?
Could potentially work on any conductive surface through the creation of eddy currents in the material.

In practice?
producing eddy currents strong enough is likely to cause magnetic hysteresis of the material, and runaway heating, especially in thin surfaces where intense field strengths will be needed for good attachment.

The premise is that if you have a moving magnetic field, the induced field in the conductive surface will have interaction, and thus some level of attraction. This requires either a quickly oscillating magnetic field, or a mechanically moving one.

EG, spinning disc magnets in the soles of the shoes would do it, as would a rapidly oscillinating AC current winding.

Noteworthy problems:

The thickness of the conductive surface will play a significant role in how attracted the boots are to the induced magnetic eddies. There was a mythbuster's episode that dealt with this in naturally ferromagnetic surfaces-- the flux that can be generated is proportional to the amount of material being acted on. if the plate is really thin, you will barely cling to it at all, even with very powerful magnets.

Inducing a current through an oscillating current will induce very strong hysteresis, and will run the risk of causing magnetic induction heating in the surface. Unless you like to melt the surface you are trying to stand on, you are going to have a maximum allowable power rating going through the mag coils.

Mechanically rotating magnetic discs use very little power, but run the risk of acting like reaction wheels when not magnetically latched to a surface.

Youtube has plenty of videos demonstrating the interractions between induced magnetic fields and moving permanent magnets. The most poignant are the "neodymium magnet dropped down copper tube" ones.  Basically, the induced magnetic eddies in the tube from the falling magnet partially arrest the magnet on its way down, causing it to fall very slowly, even though the pipe itself is nonmagnetic.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 07, 2016, 10:11:34 pm »

*sees magnetic boots and microgravity*

Something like that made it into one of my games briefly, it was for spaceship crews to use incase artificial gravity was shut down

(Spaceships in that game were supposed to basically be several rings connected around a barrel of power generators and or single shot rail cannons)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 07, 2016, 10:18:07 pm »

*sees magnetic boots and microgravity*

Something like that made it into one of my games briefly, it was for spaceship crews to use incase artificial gravity was shut down

(Spaceships in that game were supposed to basically be several rings connected around a barrel of power generators and or single shot rail cannons)
Wouldn't having handholds/footholds spaced regularly about the walls and floors accomplish much the same thing?

In real space stations, they make a concerted effort to avoid having a big empty spot in the middle of a room (but sometimes it can't be avoided).  If the middle of the room is small enough, the astronaut can always reach something to give a push toward the opposite wall.  The exterior of a real space station is studded with attachment points, but you seem to be envisioning conditions not conducive to a slow deliberate EVA style of movement.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 07, 2016, 10:43:59 pm »

Well the point of ot is that the ships are made to be in constant artificial gravity so having hand holds where you walk would be a hazard. The boots are just in emergency if that segment of the ship stops spinning
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 07, 2016, 10:45:51 pm »

Static cling and sticky boots can be alternatives to magnets.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 07, 2016, 10:47:39 pm »

Additionally, big heavy magnet boots are probably more cumbersome than just engineering the thing for microgravity.

Especially with spin-gravity systems, they'd likely spend a good amount of time spun down, such as while running maintenance and around the time of long engine burns.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 10:49:43 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 07, 2016, 10:53:24 pm »

Gecko tape boots.

Uses vand-der-waals forces to cling to any surface, with or without atmosphere.

sadly, needs periodic cleaning as dirt sticks to the surface, ruining the grip.

https://geckskin.umass.edu/

vastly superior to magboots.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 07, 2016, 11:03:55 pm »

Boots with magnets, static, or gecko tape? Pfft. Unless they come with power laces, they're not future enough.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 07, 2016, 11:06:29 pm »

Well the point of ot is that the ships are made to be in constant artificial gravity so having hand holds where you walk would be a hazard. The boots are just in emergency if that segment of the ship stops spinning
I was thinking more of the recessed variety, possibly even with one of those spring-loaded trapdoor thingies to keep it out of the way during normal operation.  Trained crews would just know where the are from the coloring, and get practice when things are spun down.

The lack of heavy boots allows for much more dramatic space-fu maneuvers during boarding actions :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 08, 2016, 12:41:40 am »

Have Alcubierre drives been disproven?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 08, 2016, 12:50:47 am »

snip
As a note for both of you guys, the ability of one person in a position of power, particularly when trusted and motivated, shouldn't be underestimated. Rajneeshpuram incidents in the state where I live, man. It happens. Doesn't have to be a terror cell to be terrorism.

Also, Jimmy, I'd like to point out three things. One, FOR SCIENCE is actually a motivator for some people, and there is always a way to justify grant spending if you're creative enough. Two, people, including scientists, are not always logical, nor do they follow apparent incentives all of the time.

But I mean, really, just use nanobot cells. Won't be too far off. Only another, oh, 40-100 years before the prototypes go up.

I also still disagree with Gunin on some aspects, but I think that's cuz he was misunderstanding me to some degree. And also I didn't answer mostly because the tone was getting too heated for me to continue with how much stuff I had goin' on. Apologies for that.

Modern physics continues to depress me in that regard. No artificial gravity, no FTL travel, no nothing. A shame that a practical understanding of the world takes all the fun out of it.

All I can do is either hope for proper VR, or hope that we're missing a major piece of the puzzle with the Standard Model.
Still wormholes.

And possibly magic special atoms at that 'island of stability' or whatever if that ever happens. WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY MIGHT DO (I mean, other than just be denser, more expensive versions of existing heavy metals)
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #672 on: April 08, 2016, 01:06:39 am »

I also still disagree with Gunin on some aspects, but I think that's cuz he was misunderstanding me to some degree.
Huh? Are you sure you didn't mean someone else (maybe Giglamesh)? I went back about halfway through the thread and I don't see or recall myself replying to any of your posts recently.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 08, 2016, 09:29:07 am »

Well Re: the latest US Mil thing I saw about Power armor, electronic motors were too weak and hydraulic power required hydraulic cables.
Which kills the range of your suited-up-infantryman if he's stuck in a 15-foot circle from where the pump stack is.

That being said, the demo i watched involved the exo-suited man single-handedly loading a 105 mm shell into a howitzer, dropping the necessary gun crew from 7 down to 2 or 3.
But, I guess again, manpower beats moneypower every time.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Defacto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 08, 2016, 11:37:30 am »

Modern physics continues to depress me in that regard. No artificial gravity, no FTL travel, no nothing. A shame that a practical understanding of the world takes all the fun out of it.

All I can do is either hope for proper VR, or hope that we're missing a major piece of the puzzle with the Standard Model.

Aw, I wouldn't say that. It just means that we'll have to do things the hard way!
There is ''artificial gravity'' in a way, we can use centrifugal rings to generate a substitute. That has limitations, of course, but what would all the engineers do if there weren't any limitations?  :D
FTL is a bit tougher, but as said above, we can't completely discount the thought that it might be possible. Also, moving near c will make the trip significantly shorter for the ship's occupants. You could say that it would ''Faster than light'' in a way.

Another way of doing things could be to simply prepare for a much longer journey - suspended animation of some sort is very much in the realm of possibility.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 91