Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100963 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Theoretical weapons (sciencey people halp)
« Reply #570 on: April 02, 2016, 05:50:33 pm »

Hows about a clip of railgun rails, with each pair or rails ejecting to be replaced with the next from the clip after becoming too worn? Again, not too useful for an infantry weapon...
Why do you need to replace the railgun rails?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 02, 2016, 05:56:17 pm »

Because they last for about five shots.

They get really hot and burn off mass every time you fire through them, and it only gets worse if you fire the same barrel repeatedly.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #572 on: April 02, 2016, 06:02:17 pm »

Because they last for about five shots.

They get really hot and burn off mass every time you fire through them, and it only gets worse if you fire the same barrel repeatedly.
Oh I see, because of the electricity. I was having a hard time imagining why they have any more frictional limitations than other guns.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 02, 2016, 06:48:39 pm »

They have to be in contact with the edges the whole time, and go at much higher velocities than conventional weapons. Even smoothbore, it has to stay in contact with the barrel to go faster. To be powerful enough, they have to go very fast.

I figure using a plasma conductor/charge that propels the projectile from behind might help with the actual fatique, if not the heat. Maybe the heat. I dunno.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 02, 2016, 09:03:49 pm »

Basically, the things work by using the slug to short out a really, really powerful circuit, which produces huge electromagnetic forces of the sort that don't really care what it is they're accelerating so much as that it's in the way. In the process of doing this, they produce a massive continuous electrical arc on either side of the slug, severely damaging it and the barrel. For this reason, the slugs are usually held in an aluminum sabot during firing, but that doesn't help the barrel much. Fortunately, railgun barrels are pretty cheap, due to being just metal rods. I wouldn't be surprised if you could use literal train rails, actually.

Edit:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 09:10:31 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 02, 2016, 09:57:38 pm »

Well, Amp, the way the force pushes, those rails have to still be strong enough to make it so that the projectile is the thing being fired, and not them. The force pushes on all directions, not just forward+recoil. If they stop being in contact, it kinda ruins the point. Also, if you don't have a good enough conductor, it's gonna be a lot more energy intensive and a lot more damage on the barrel(if you don't care about barrel damage, at least care about how many you can carry with you, and how many shots you'll get for each set...)
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #576 on: April 02, 2016, 10:08:07 pm »

Basically, the things work by using the slug to short out a really, really powerful circuit, which produces huge electromagnetic forces of the sort that don't really care what it is they're accelerating so much as that it's in the way. In the process of doing this, they produce a massive continuous electrical arc on either side of the slug, severely damaging it and the barrel. For this reason, the slugs are usually held in an aluminum sabot during firing, but that doesn't help the barrel much. Fortunately, railgun barrels are pretty cheap, due to being just metal rods. I wouldn't be surprised if you could use literal train rails, actually.

Edit:
Source? I'm interested in reading about these mechanics in further detail.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 02, 2016, 10:53:35 pm »

Well, Amp, the way the force pushes, those rails have to still be strong enough to make it so that the projectile is the thing being fired, and not them. The force pushes on all directions, not just forward+recoil. If they stop being in contact, it kinda ruins the point. Also, if you don't have a good enough conductor, it's gonna be a lot more energy intensive and a lot more damage on the barrel(if you don't care about barrel damage, at least care about how many you can carry with you, and how many shots you'll get for each set...)

Oh, certainly. The mechanics just do work as long as the bits are all present and correct, I'm hardly suggesting you could build a military railgun out of forks and nine-volt batteries.

@GUNIN: Wikipedia to begin with, plus a bunch of random stuff I can't remember in specificity. A good general source for mil-scifi things seems to be the AtomicRockets website.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 02, 2016, 11:14:05 pm »

If the sabot is basically a lost cause anyway, that'd explain why it's made out of (relatively soft) Aluminium?
So would making the barrels from tungsten or some other high-tensile carbonised alloy be an improvement longevity-wise?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #579 on: April 02, 2016, 11:27:36 pm »

If the sabot is basically a lost cause anyway, that'd explain why it's made out of (relatively soft) Aluminium?
So would making the barrels from tungsten or some other high-tensile carbonised alloy be an improvement longevity-wise?
According to wikipedia it's beyond current materials science to make rails capable of withstanding several shots per minute without severe degradation and permanent damage to the barrel. But I can't find any credible sources to back it up.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 03, 2016, 01:12:04 am »

Basically, the forces and heat involved are just really, really silly. I'd imagine things with the thermal resistance to absorb it without partially vaporizing are too brittle to handle the physical blast.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #581 on: April 03, 2016, 05:48:23 am »

Coilgun master race, oi oi oi!
While you may not be able to make a railgun out of forks and 9v batteries, you can make a relatively lightweight coilgun pistol out of relatively common materials, including the capacitors from about 40 Kodak (or similar brand) disposable cameras and using plastic straws as stabilising fins for the rounds.

www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-coilgun/

Like the disclaimer in the link, I am NOT responsible if you hurt or kill yourself.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 03, 2016, 07:14:43 am »

Coilgun master race, oi oi oi!
While you may not be able to make a railgun out of forks and 9v batteries, you can make a relatively lightweight coilgun pistol out of relatively common materials, including the capacitors from about 40 Kodak (or similar brand) disposable cameras and using plastic straws as stabilising fins for the rounds.

www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-coilgun/

Like the disclaimer in the link, I am NOT responsible if you hurt or kill yourself.

I have actually gone and done this. Using basic 10mm plumbing gear as the barrel, narrow gauge copper mains wire, and a bunch of 1 Farad capacitors form dismantled base speakers, I constructed a relatively scary device that could fire ball bearings and iron nails at a decent velocity. Not enough to do more than bruising, which was probably for the best.
This is a blank sig.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #583 on: April 03, 2016, 07:25:28 pm »

I used to have a crow problem, put it that way.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 03, 2016, 07:32:59 pm »

Coilguns are pretty simple to make at that simple level, with railguns, AFAIK, being even simpler physically, but harder to make because of the more dangerous forces involved. The issue is that neither is up to chemical-ballistic standards as of yet.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 91