Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100865 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (sciencey people halp)
« Reply #495 on: March 21, 2016, 01:21:47 pm »

Sounds pretty quantum.

Also that's a pretty cool design, Tux.
So pumping the shrouds happens barrel-by-barrel with the rest of the loading?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 21, 2016, 01:46:58 pm »

The ice wouldn't be "stationary" unless the human ship came to a complete stop first. If they dropped the fluid from their ship during their slingshot maneuver it (the ice) would be moving at the same speed as the ship. If the ice was stationary relative to the alien ship then it would have to have been fired (as opposed to released) from the human ship towards the alien ship, at exactly the speed that the alien ship was approaching.
running away in opposite direction
They did (well, it wasn't proably complete stop but enough to make a difference). It was only logical for the aliens that the humans ship would try to gain as much speed as they could from the gravity assist and run away but instead the humans (actually again, more like dolphin) faked it, pulled high-g maneuver, used the gas giant cover to stop and relase the water and then go in some other direction.

EDIT:
NOTE THAT I HAVE NO ACTUAL IDEA BUT THIS IS HOW I REMEMBER IT. The book was David Brin's Startide Rising, by the way.
The water would probaby boil, not freeze.
Actually, both, IIRC. First it freezes then it boils and then it freezes or someshit. And even if it was just gas, at high speeds it wouldn't be very amazing to fly into it.
That's how I remember that scene as well.  The author was of the opinion the water would freeze into small ice crystals.  The ice was orbiting the moon slowly (basically the dolphin/human* vessel came as close to a stop as possible to change direction) and the alien ship was moving "at a significant fraction of the speed of light."

* In this universe, dolphins and chimpanzees had been genetically "uplifted" to sentience, though they were many generations away from being as smart as humans or the aliens.  Another book in the series, The Uplift War, is told from the point of view of a chimpanzee.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 21, 2016, 01:49:18 pm »

By the way, my favorite line from that book was one of the alien captains barking an order:

"Consult the Library!  I want to know what 'Nyah! Nyah!' means in their language!"
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 21, 2016, 01:51:35 pm »

* In this universe, dolphins and chimpanzees had been genetically "uplifted" to sentience, though they were many generations away from being as smart as humans or the aliens.  Another book in the series, The Uplift War, is told from the point of view of a chimpanzee.
And was apparently a bit of a feghoot, if a rumour I once heard is accurate.  I mostly credit the rumour because I find it somewhat amusing, in part because it's very carefully never stated of or by the protagonists (both humans and chimps)...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #499 on: March 21, 2016, 02:06:52 pm »

The ice wouldn't be "stationary" unless the human ship came to a complete stop first. If they dropped the fluid from their ship during their slingshot maneuver it (the ice) would be moving at the same speed as the ship. If the ice was stationary relative to the alien ship then it would have to have been fired (as opposed to released) from the human ship towards the alien ship, at exactly the speed that the alien ship was approaching.
running away in opposite direction
They did (well, it wasn't proably complete stop but enough to make a difference). It was only logical for the aliens that the humans ship would try to gain as much speed as they could from the gravity assist and run away but instead the humans (actually again, more like dolphin) faked it, pulled high-g maneuver, used the gas giant cover to stop and relase the water and then go in some other direction.
Oh okay, I get it now.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #500 on: March 21, 2016, 02:47:38 pm »

Those books were pretty great.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 21, 2016, 04:39:48 pm »

With regard to the rotary gun thing, you'd only actually need a gasket at the firing end of the barrels, since the non-firing end of the cooling jacket can by attached behind the rotor, rendering any mobility pointless. The gasket around the muzzles would be necessary to allow it to fire without damaging the coolant shroud, but would basically just be a ring of fluid-tight low friction bearings at the ring just before the muzzles.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 21, 2016, 04:47:57 pm »

So... Big pleather sheath over the barrels then?

One interesting solution I have played with for paradoxes, is the "quantum universes" approach.
This suddenly made me remember an idea for a book I had however long ago.
Basically:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:51:34 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #503 on: March 21, 2016, 08:04:05 pm »

That's awesome, mind if I use it?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 22, 2016, 12:22:19 am »

Sure, but if you make a million, send me a pity cheque.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #505 on: March 22, 2016, 02:17:04 am »

A gun that interacts with the "god experience" section of the brain, specifically to cause a religious experience in the targeted enemy. The opposing combatant will in an instant realize that all humanity is one family and that our petty squabbles are but a fleeting shadow on the face of the deep unfathomable ocean that is the cosmos. He or she will, through the nerostimulative mechanism of the weapon, see in his or her enemy a human being with both flaws and nobility, endowed with a desire to live, someone who is in a very real way an equal, even though ideologies differ. In fact, through the use of broadcast neuroamplification, even sworn enemies will have the presence of mind to reconsider their prejudices and deep-seated philosophies. Fear of superiors, ideological brainwashing, earnest nationalism, it all washes away, leaving only the innocent core of personality, unclothed in hate, trembling before the universe. To the subject of the primary mode of this weapon, truly will every human being be a shining, divine child born from the majesty of the cosmos.

Thus disoriented, the targeted individual will be susceptible to stumbling out of cover, and the wielder of the weapon will be able to engage the secondary mode of the weapon, which lights the target on fire.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 22, 2016, 03:22:37 am »

On the subject of cooling rotary space-guns, covering the whole barrel cylinder in a liquid cooling shroud that moves with the rest of the thing, and putting the fluid ports along two points of the axle. Kind of like a spinning Maxim gun.

This should be a minimum of moving parts, keeps the fluid exchange further away from hard vacuum and allows the ammunition feed some room.

Said ammunition feed and the ammunition storage would also have to operate in vacuum as there ends of each barrel are obviously going to be open.

I also had the crazy idea of making the gun shoot in two opposite directions, only the baddy-facing end would shoot an actual bullet, and the other end would just shoot an equal weight in gas to eliminate the unwanted thrust the gun might generate. The gun would have to operate from a kind of arm to keep the gas from hitting the craft and pushing it around anyway.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #507 on: March 22, 2016, 04:01:07 am »

I also had the crazy idea of making the gun shoot in two opposite directions, only the baddy-facing end would shoot an actual bullet, and the other end would just shoot an equal weight in gas to eliminate the unwanted thrust the gun might generate.
I guess you've never heard of recoilless rifles before.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 22, 2016, 04:17:41 am »

I guess not many crazy ideas are so crazy that nobody else had them before..
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 22, 2016, 07:14:43 am »

A gun that interacts with the "god experience" section of the brain, specifically to cause a religious experience in the targeted enemy. The opposing combatant will in an instant realize that all humanity is one family and that our petty squabbles are but a fleeting shadow on the face of the deep unfathomable ocean that is the cosmos. He or she will, through the nerostimulative mechanism of the weapon, see in his or her enemy a human being with both flaws and nobility, endowed with a desire to live, someone who is in a very real way an equal, even though ideologies differ. In fact, through the use of broadcast neuroamplification, even sworn enemies will have the presence of mind to reconsider their prejudices and deep-seated philosophies. Fear of superiors, ideological brainwashing, earnest nationalism, it all washes away, leaving only the innocent core of personality, unclothed in hate, trembling before the universe. To the subject of the primary mode of this weapon, truly will every human being be a shining, divine child born from the majesty of the cosmos.

Thus disoriented, the targeted individual will be susceptible to stumbling out of cover, and the wielder of the weapon will be able to engage the secondary mode of the weapon, which lights the target on fire.
The primary ammunition for this weapon is composed of dessicated missionaries. The secondary ammunition is mostly TV evangelists, for the concentrated hellfire component.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 91