Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100887 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas
« Reply #885 on: April 21, 2016, 10:47:07 pm »

I always wondered why an advanced society wouldn't just make a robot from 100% transparent materials.
How do you tell where the robot is?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #886 on: April 21, 2016, 11:06:14 pm »

I always wondered why an advanced society wouldn't just make a robot from 100% transparent materials.
What's the point in just making a robot that's transparent? What's it for? Also mind that transparent doesn't mean the same thing as "invisible".

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 21, 2016, 11:13:08 pm »

I don't believe there's such a thing as a perfectly transparent material. It'd basically have to stop interacting with light, and also be made of something that doesn't immediately collect a layer of crap and get visible.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #888 on: April 21, 2016, 11:26:13 pm »

What's the point in just making a robot that's transparent? What's it for? Also mind that transparent doesn't mean the same thing as "invisible".

Presumably, to make it difficult to see, considering there was a post about camouflage and invisibility right above it.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #889 on: April 22, 2016, 01:08:33 am »

Presumably, to make it difficult to see, considering there was a post about camouflage and invisibility right above it.
Well of course, but what is this proposed robot for? It's one thing to say you can make something invisible, it's another to explain how that's actually useful. Certainly there's no reason to just make all kinds of robots hard to see, so I can infer that he had something more specific in mind. I could assume that he meant some kind of combat bot, but again, why should I guess when I can ask him?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #890 on: April 22, 2016, 01:43:46 am »

Well of course, but what is this proposed robot for? It's one thing to say you can make something invisible, it's another to explain how that's actually useful. Certainly there's no reason to just make all kinds of robots hard to see, so I can infer that he had something more specific in mind. I could assume that he meant some kind of combat bot, but again, why should I guess when I can ask him?

Mainly because it slows down the conversation, it's a very safe assumption given this is primarily the theoretical weapons thread, and it's probably a contributing factor to Tack finding you blunt, because it comes off as combative. :v

There's no reason not to ask, but there's also no reason for me not to ask who you mean by 'he'.

I don't intend to argue this point, just note it.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 22, 2016, 01:45:59 am »

You'd be severely limited in what aterial you could use though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 22, 2016, 07:56:54 am »

I was thinking more like refraction actually, yeah. Many, many tiny hologram/camera pairs would work, but then we run into the problem of current holograms; they're fairly simple to set up, but they need space-consuming infrastructure that you wouldn't be able to fit. Dang it light, why can't you just clump together when we want you to :P
Well we CAN stick photons together...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 22, 2016, 08:50:06 am »

Well we CAN stick photons together...
I'm surprised we got almost to reply #1000 before getting into the wonderful properties of duct tape :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 22, 2016, 10:20:36 am »

Who knows, perhaps in the far far future duct tape will actually be suitable for repairing ducts.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 22, 2016, 11:44:14 am »

Who knows, perhaps in the far far future duct tape will actually be suitable for repairing ducts.
We're discussing perfectly reasonable inventions like pocket nuclear reactors, uniforms that work in any climate, and affordable sturdy metamaterials... let's not get silly and talk about using duct tape on ducts!
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 22, 2016, 11:57:04 am »

Nah, people will make a new type of 'photon tape' which is great for everything and never gets used to stick photons together.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 22, 2016, 04:53:30 pm »

Why don't we just use cheese to stick everything better? Once it breaks, you get a nice little snack! :P
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 22, 2016, 06:05:42 pm »

Is it though? The current cost of an infantryman's equipment is about 17.000 apparently, but the Pentagon is already testing ways to make that more expensive, including smart guns, heads-up display etc etc.

And then of course stuff like HAL would be great for troops like artillerymen.
That's $20k on top of the cost for all the other actual equipment that they would be wearing (armor, guns, ammo, etc.), not $20k instead of the current cost. :P (So more than a doubling in the current cost).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: April 22, 2016, 11:35:59 pm »

No, that'd be just under double, not more than double :P
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 91