Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100951 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (sciencey people halp)
« Reply #600 on: April 06, 2016, 03:29:02 am »

fungi have already demonstrated the biological complexity necessary to zombify animal species. (insects are part of animalia.)

Something akin to ringworm that sends its mycelia deep into the peripheral nervous system, then follows those nerves back to the spine and then up into the brain would lend itself well as a potential zombie pathogen.

Viruses look neat to hollywood, but their genomes are small by necessity. Fungi on the other hand, bring exotic biochemistry and functional biological hardware to the table, and already have demonstrated real zombification powers.

The digestive action of the fungus on the host could well produce "rotting corpse like" features, and neurological changes from having the brain infiltrated by mycelial fibers could produce the aggressive behavior.  Being predominantly a skin infection (in the case of ringworm), having its victims claw into the skin of healthy humans would spread the contagion by direct introduction under the skin via the scratches. 

Early stages of infection would be terrifying, because behavioral changes would come much later, but symptoms of the skin and peripheral nervous system (like uncontrollable itching/burning sensations, causing people to scratch) would manifest early, leaving the poor host to have ample time to contemplate its fate.

If I were to engineer a zombie plague, bioengineered skin fungal infection (resistant to all major antifungal medications) would be my vector of choice, with genes harvested from the fungus that zombifies ants and other arthropods.

I think that could actually work.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 06, 2016, 03:42:16 am »

Heh. The Last of Us style, modelled off the cordyceps? Or brainworms.

I didn't think about the necessary complexity of the pathogen.
Probably more likely than either viruses or procaryotes.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #602 on: April 06, 2016, 06:04:09 am »

I feel that if anyone ever wanted to enslave or destroy the world, these forums would be their first stop.

fungi have already demonstrated the biological complexity necessary to zombify animal species. (insects are part of animalia.)

Something akin to ringworm that sends its mycelia deep into the peripheral nervous system, then follows those nerves back to the spine and then up into the brain would lend itself well as a potential zombie pathogen.

Viruses look neat to hollywood, but their genomes are small by necessity. Fungi on the other hand, bring exotic biochemistry and functional biological hardware to the table, and already have demonstrated real zombification powers.

The digestive action of the fungus on the host could well produce "rotting corpse like" features, and neurological changes from having the brain infiltrated by mycelial fibers could produce the aggressive behavior.  Being predominantly a skin infection (in the case of ringworm), having its victims claw into the skin of healthy humans would spread the contagion by direct introduction under the skin via the scratches. 

Early stages of infection would be terrifying, because behavioral changes would come much later, but symptoms of the skin and peripheral nervous system (like uncontrollable itching/burning sensations, causing people to scratch) would manifest early, leaving the poor host to have ample time to contemplate its fate.

If I were to engineer a zombie plague, bioengineered skin fungal infection (resistant to all major antifungal medications) would be my vector of choice, with genes harvested from the fungus that zombifies ants and other arthropods.

Case in point
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 06, 2016, 06:06:40 am »

This is simply terrifying.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 06, 2016, 06:09:28 am »

It is.

It is very terrifying.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #605 on: April 06, 2016, 06:10:32 am »

TheDarkStar needs to update his sig. I think this is far worse for your health than death.
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 06, 2016, 06:51:27 am »

Biological weaponry aimed at causing higher brain function decay doesn't really serve a useful purpose. You're essentially getting a weapon of mass destruction that is as indiscriminate as chemical weapons but fails to leave the area salvageable later. Why create zombies when you could just use a gas that would kill everyone instead?

In terms of biological and chemical weapons, Helgoland and I both gave detailed discussions of these possible agents on page 5. VX gas and phosgene gas are easily delivered by air and quite possible to manufacture in relevant quantities with today's technology, sarin gas and botulinum toxin are less reliable but also theoretically powerful options, and theoretical compounds based on onchidal could potentially be a viable alternative to all of the above.

A hypothetical cordyceps type zombie pandemic virus would theoretically only occur due to statistically improbable natural mutation, as no real scientist would bother attempting to weaponize this compound given there's no logical incentive to do so. That being said, fungal infection would be a powerful method of delivery, since we're relatively primitive at treating fungal infection pharmaceutically in comparison to the variety of antibacterial agents available.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #607 on: April 06, 2016, 06:56:08 am »

Why create zombies when you could just use a gas that would kill everyone instead?
Terrorism of the local populus

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: April 06, 2016, 07:14:23 am »

Insects don't have an adaptative immune system. That's why fungi are so lethal against them. You don't find such pervasive infections in immunocompetent humans.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:16:14 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #609 on: April 06, 2016, 07:20:53 am »

Insects don't have an adaptative immune system. That's why fungi are so lethal against them. You don't find such pervasive infections in immunocompetent humans.
Do a double-whammy. Introduce AIDS to the local populus then do the zombie thing. With immunodeficiency, the aforementioned zombie bioplague would be much more effective

And I just got the feeling that thae Australian equivilent of NSA is watching this for some reason... Now I'm gunna be paranoid...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 06, 2016, 07:57:12 am »

Yet we still get tinea...
Checkmate Mammals.

Yes, but HIV wouldn't spread nearly as effectively as the spores anywa-
... Via bite.
That is freaking dastardly.

Y'know, until all of your fungal-zombies start dying from Influ-A.
.... Which I guess also fixes your 'easy cleanup' issue too.

Edit:
Biological weaponry aimed at causing higher brain function decay doesn't really serve a useful purpose. You're essentially getting a weapon of mass destruction that is as indiscriminate as chemical weapons but fails to leave the area salvageable later. Why create zombies when you could just use a gas that would kill everyone instead?
It's all about making something which is able to self-proliferate. Such as Ebola or SARS.
This'd just be one better because each host would actively seek out new hosts to infect. If they act the same as modern cordyceps, then the end of their life cycle kills their host, and the beginning of the life cycle requires a host.
Meaning that once they've completely infected the human population in an area, it'll have iced its own transmission vector and be self-clearing, resulting in zero long-term damage.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:03:22 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 06, 2016, 08:03:15 am »

And voilą!

Spoiler: Relevant (click to show/hide)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 06, 2016, 09:55:12 am »

But aids takes years to set in. You'd have to unleash Charlie Sheen on the target population long in advance of your biological attack.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 06, 2016, 10:01:34 am »

There's also the thing they could probably send a bioweapon back at you, depending on the length of the war, whether by weaponising it themselves or just smuggling sick people and samples into you own territory.
Now everyone can be sick.

What joy.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #614 on: April 06, 2016, 10:15:24 am »

But aids takes years to set in. You'd have to unleash Charlie Sheen on the target population long in advance of your biological attack.
You mean hundreds of charlie sheen clones? I mean, two-and-a-half men just got extremely lewd if put into this context.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 91