Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100727 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (sciencey people halp)
« Reply #420 on: March 16, 2016, 06:49:45 am »

In other news, I've been thinking about high-density explosive/propellant compounds. Things with roughly the same mass-power ratio of standard gunpowder and high explosives, but a factor of ten denser. It would, I feel, allow some interesting variations upon standard themes.
Thing is: Most current explosives follow the 'Carbon skeleton with lots of nitrogen attached and lots of oxygen attached to the nitrogen' rule. You can't really make that stuff much more dense. The closest to what you want would be tiny, tiny nukes.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #421 on: March 16, 2016, 07:05:09 am »

@Dirst

I thought there was also supposed to be a full auto mode, because it's one of those things which 'isn't really needed but better to have it than to not have it'?
The US Army decided it was better to not have it, citing inexperienced troops flipping to auto and spraying during combat. Whether or not that's true, I don't know, but that's why the M16A2 does not have full auto. It doesn't make the gun that much simpler, it's largely a doctrinal decision.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 16, 2016, 07:10:03 am »

I doubt it's actually feasible, at least near-term, but I was just considering how it'd affect weapons development.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 16, 2016, 07:17:28 am »

The burst mechanism is actually slightly more complex than a full-auto mechanism, but there is no reliability issue since it is in a location that does not accumulate gunpowder residue.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #424 on: March 16, 2016, 07:42:23 am »

The burst mechanism is actually slightly more complex than a full-auto mechanism, but there is no reliability issue since it is in a location that does not accumulate gunpowder residue.
Neat facts yo.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 16, 2016, 08:31:07 am »

The take-away for a sci-fi weapons thread (the AK47 and M16 looked like sci-fi weapons when introduced) is ideas don't filter down to infantry weapons until they are engineered to a very high level of reliability.  And then things change due to doctrinal decisions (full auto vs. burst) or actual use (supplying cheaper but dirtier ammo than the rifle was designed to use).

I find it unlikely that a footsoldier would be asked to cradle a delicate magnetic coil, but the railgun might get to the squad-heavy-gunner role if the wear can be brought down to occasionally swapping out the barrel.  A gattling-type mechanism could even automate swapping the barrels.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 16, 2016, 08:52:13 am »

Yeah, I'd love to see how well your finely tuned laser or plasma rifle fires in the rain, covered in mud, after being used to bash through a door. I guarantee you an AK47 would fire first try, and against the average target is still going to make them just as dead if it hits.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 16, 2016, 09:21:49 am »

Now that depends on the typical armor for your average target.

Speaking of other types of propellants, though; you guys heard about Electro-Thermal Chemical weapons? Good stuff. Could make 'em now if we had the military infrastructure to make effective use of them, if I remember right.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 16, 2016, 09:42:50 am »

I like liquid guns myself (guns using liquid propellant so you can easily tailer the charge). They are also possible, although making sure it doesn't explode when you don't want to has been a challenge.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 16, 2016, 09:52:51 am »

I too find supersoakers have a tendency to detonate unexpectedly.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 16, 2016, 11:22:18 am »

I like liquid guns myself (guns using liquid propellant so you can easily tailer the charge). They are also possible, although making sure it doesn't explode when you don't want to has been a challenge.
It's an intriguing concept, but apparently it'ss really hard to get the droplet size and thus the combustion rate of the propellant right.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 16, 2016, 01:04:36 pm »

There was a chapter in Ignition! about them. Like a lot of things in this book, it ended up with a lot of broken lab equipment.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 17, 2016, 03:51:15 am »

I know miniguns are currently electrically triggered.
I wonder why all smaller guns are triggered.
Is it a reliability thing?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 17, 2016, 03:54:54 am »

In general, with small arms, the simpler you can get it, the better. Mechanical operation and percussion ignition have done us fine for a long while, they'll probably stick around for a while longer.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #434 on: March 17, 2016, 05:04:54 am »

I know miniguns are currently electrically triggered.
I wonder why all smaller guns are triggered.
Is it a reliability thing?
It's just there to power the motor that rotates the barrels. There's no safe way to do that using recoil.

The M16 doesn't need electricity to move the action since recoil, the extractor, and a spring inside the magazine already does the task of ejecting cartridges and feeding fresh ones. Using electricity to do that would be a waste of energy when you could just let recoil do the job.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 05:07:36 am by GUNINANRUNIN »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 91