Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Signposts for DF  (Read 3607 times)

Twilight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Signposts for DF
« on: March 30, 2007, 06:55:00 pm »

Hello,
  how about allowing signposts in a future update.  The player could set them wherever (would we even need a material or a building act or a building time component, or just instantly set them wherever?), and edit them with a couple of lines (at most) of text (e.g.  "Grand Dining Hall"; "Shop of Yoetl Hammergreaves, Master Carpenter"; "Kneel before the King"; "Weapon Storage"; "Here fell the Iron Squad as they slew the pit demons", etc.).  They could be triggered by having a small window pop-up while running the cursor over them.  i just think that this sort of annotation would be a lot of fun for some, ignored by others, but probably used (even just a little bit) by all.  What do you think?

- Twilight

quot;Your world was destroyed by the price of plant cheese."

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
Re: Signposts for DF
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 07:39:00 pm »

post this in 'suggestions'.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 07:40:00 pm »

EDIT: Ok so he said it before me.

[ March 30, 2007: Message edited by: Pnx ]

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 10:36:00 pm »

Don't you mean she?

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 02:37:00 am »

He is the appropriate way in English to refer to someone with an unknown gender.  Just because you named yourself Jaqie doesn't mean you necessaraly want to imply that you are female, nor does it instantly identify you as such.
''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heuveltop.nl
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 06:33:00 am »

rules.add("when gender is unknown but name is known, prefer name over pronoun")

"you" doesn't have this problem so that would do well too.

Guess my gender, anyone?

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 06:37:00 am »

Though I generally agree with Pnx;
You could always use the genderly ambiguous "it", though I doubt that would be less offensive.

Also, as the old saying goes: [shamelessly stolen from bash.org]
<starry_eyed_surprise> why do girls have to have a pic to be proven female??
<Storm_Queen> Because this is the internet.
<Storm_Queen> Unless proven otherwise, you are a 50yr old man with a bucket of KFC in one hand and your penis in the other.

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 06:50:00 am »

Oh god, that's gross.

~edit~
Bas Cost Budde:
I tend to not use gender specific pronouns for anyone that has not suggested or outright said their gender.  Due to my particular style of talking/writing/posting, it comes easy to me.  I find I don't care about the gender of someone at all unless/until they really piss me off, and then and only then do I become prejudice, giving other women a wider berth then men.  Though this is off topic, I feel it worth mentioning that men have done some very horrid things to me in my life, so I have reason to be prejudice although not valid reason.  This is also the reason I have trouble with someone calling me 'he' as I do not wish to be associated with men.  Note that I said I do not allow my prejudice to surface hardly ever until and unless that person pisses me off.

[ March 31, 2007: Message edited by: Jaqie ]

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 08:32:00 am »

Get back to topic please.

Yes a sign in the lever room with info on it what each one does would be a good addition to any bloodline fort.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 04:20:00 pm »

Jaqie, let's take this as an invitation to change topic?  :)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 04:24:00 pm »

This would be especially useful for Bloodline games, and fortresses with lots of levers. I've occasionally lost track of which lever did what. Being able to label them would be helpful.

Bucket Man

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 04:48:00 pm »

For annotations to be useful, IMO, they must be

* noticeable (I don't want to go looking for the square I left my label on)
* instantaneous [[so no building task]]
* removable

and optionally
* listable (possibly under [r])

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »

Sorry my mistake entirely. Think what you like of me but to be honest calling you he is actually likely a bit better than calling you she. Around 70% of forum users are male and 90% of gamers are male. So the chances were really in favor of you being male. But statistics are not really an excuse I'm sorry. But hey I've been there

Look if you dare.
http://eyelearn.med.utoronto.ca/Lectures05-06/RedEye/images/RedEye_042.jpg

This is not my eye cus I really don't want to go dig up the pictures (And the memories.) but my eyes once looked like that (Except I have pupils.). Trust me being strangled and beaten for a couple hours can really put a new perspective on life. I feel you man.... (Woops there I go again. I should probably break that habit.) Ironicly that was probably the best thing to happen to me. Also the worst, but the best aswell I think.

"The fires of misery are hotter than any hell mankind can imagine.

And when those fires have burned away all lies and illusion then shall your eyes be truly open."

It can really give you a perspective on life and happyness. It's all in your perspective. And these kinds of things can give you a really positive one. I no longer fear death. I have faced death and realized that if I died at any one moment I would be happy with how I lived my life. My only regrets would be of the sorrow my death would inflict on others.

Don't get me wrong I'll still fight death but I no longer am afraid to die. If I die then so be it.

EDIT: Sorry didn't mean to rant like that.

[ March 31, 2007: Message edited by: Pnx ]

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »

I appreciate making yourself visible.

I believe it is better to look at death than to fear it. It makes more of your life--actually, I think it enables life at all.

Isn't it remarkable that such a small timing issue, like one person posting before another, could evoke these responses?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 06:18:00 pm »

Ok two things

A) I think this thread may have taken the term "Off Topic" to a whole new level.

B) The thing I always think about when bad stuff happens is that without negativity positivity is meaningless. In a world of only happiness nobody would know they were happy.

[ March 31, 2007: Message edited by: Pnx ]

Pages: [1] 2 3