Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Pertaining to the Z axis.  (Read 4330 times)

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pertaining to the Z axis.
« on: March 30, 2007, 12:36:00 pm »

It's coming next update, and it offers a huge change in gameplay. In this topic we discuss whatever implications this has, and what our plans for using this new dimension are.

For example, I posted in the Future of the Fortress thread:

quote:
I will... I definitely will make a fortress of spheres. I must. It will be a huge hollow sphere with a diameter of 30 tiles... All rooms inside will be spheres as well... properly supported of course... A huge spherical cavern filled with spires and spheres and narrow bridges... I am utterly compelled to make such a fortress...

Of course there are near endless things that would be just plain cool on an aesthetic level that we could do (See the stadium diagram in the future of the fortress thread). But there are also more practical matters, and new strategies and plans that could become standard. For example this idea was posted by puke in the Future of the Fortress thread:

quote:
you could put a tiny dining room and bedroom above each workshop, and assign it to the craftsdwarf who is permitted to work in that shop. talk about zero travel time!

then disable all but crafting tasks for him, and make sure you have a dedicated group of pesant hauling-dwarfs, and give each "house" its own tiny food stockpile.

the crafters would only ever leave home for breaks and parties. efficiency would skyrocket! you could put resource (bone, ore, stone) stockpiles UNDER the workshops, so they wouldnt have to travel to get those, either.

I really think that cellars are the future- that is, stockpiles under (or over for that matter) our production areas.

Related to that idea would be having a food stockpile with a farm underneath (as it seems getting water down is easier than getting it up), and perhaps food-related workshops on the floor above... Or perhaps the food workshops on the same level as the stockpile and a dining room above...

So basically, what do you think will come of the Z axis?

[ March 30, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pertaining to the Z axis.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 01:40:00 pm »

I am curious to see how gravity is dealt with. It would be neat to lure a bunch of goblins into a room, lock the doors, and dump a bunch of rocks onto their heads by trap door proxy. Or, even, drop the goblins themselves down several levels and break their legs.

I also wonder if soldiers (marksdwarves especially) could receive advantages while fighting from a greater height than their opponents. You could make battlements a couple stories above ground level and rain bolts upon your seigers. Staircases, too, could provide a benefit to melee fighters.

000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »

In theory, our dwarves wouldnt even need a mountain-we could just dig mounds in the earth like hobbits!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 01:49:00 pm »

i'll make a tunnel all the way up, bridge across a large gap and make my fortress on the other side

everybody entering risks being used as ammo for my drawbridge-a-pult

aiming at a field of weapon traps ofcourse

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »

ah yes! you could finally build a bridge between the twin peaks of kilamanjaro!

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heuveltop.nl
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 04:09:00 pm »

And rain catcher funnels, maybe? I want bottles too, then, and paper&print: "bottled in Therlethgusil"

"Yo! Olon! Which way is up?"

Trae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 04:50:00 pm »

Um... this would be the Z axis.  In graphs and maps, X is horizontal --, Y is vertical |, and Z is the third dimension ^v.
f it''s broke, fix it.
If it''s not broke, break it.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 04:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shzar:
<STRONG>I also wonder if soldiers (marksdwarves especially) could receive advantages while fighting from a greater height than their opponents. You could make battlements a couple stories above ground level and rain bolts upon your seigers. Staircases, too, could provide a benefit to melee fighters.</STRONG>

Oh yeah, those pesky goblin archers can't fire up stairs! A narrow tunnel does severely limit their deadliness, but now you could just make a couple of stairways in your entrance and not worry about it.

For optimum use of your own archers, make your main entranceway three tile wide, with a five tile wide hallway above it, in other words archer balconies lining your hallway. Heck, you could make frequent enough bridges and actually have the meat of your fortress up there...

quote:
i'll make a tunnel all the way up, bridge across a large gap and make my fortress on the other side

I really like this idea- another thing I'd do (for purely aesthetic reasons) would be to make it so that the main corridor of my fortress is a winding ledge across the cliff face, with all the workshops and whatnot branching off... They'd be cliffdweller dwarves... It might be kind of hard to irrigate though...

Also, I think someone posted a castle-like fortress before, where they mined out everything between the cave river and the surface... Well now one could make a real three dimentional castle! It would probably still have to be surrounded by a forest of extremely tall columns, with a sky of stone... But wouldn't that just make the castle cooler?

I really can't wait for this next version to be released...

Edit:

quote:
Um... this would be the Z axis. In graphs and maps, X is horizontal --, Y is vertical |, and Z is the third dimension ^v.

I... have no idea what you're talking about. Who's talkig about the X axis? Edited the first poist did I? Well... I just hit the wrong key, yeah Z is right next to X... I just hit the worng key... twice...

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »

Well this is so weird cus I was just sketching a fortress design with paint.

Its really badly drawn I know but still... Well lets see if somebody else can sketch one better?

[ March 30, 2007: Message edited by: Pnx ]

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 05:40:00 pm »

I can just imagine the possabilities of this next update. Mainly, the traps.

I wanna be able to dig pits so deep they seem bottomless, and they'd have magma at the bottom. Gobbos? Fried. Dragons? Not so fried because of the accursed [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER].

[ March 30, 2007: Message edited by: Xotes ]

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 07:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Pnx:
<STRONG>Its really badly drawn I know but still... Well lets see if somebody else can sketch one better?</STRONG>

Damn, spheres hurt my head... This one turned out a little wonky, I think I did it wrong. Also, a diameter of 30 is actually pretty small... perhaps I'll have a bunch of spheres or something...

(Open copy to MS paint or something and magnify for full detail. Dark grey is rock, white is floor... black is empty space)

And you laughed at the sphere fortress! Well I tell you I'll make it! (I can totally empathize with those fey dwarves who aren't getting their materials...)

(Random thoughts: stacking noble's quarters/dining rooms, etc... That just appeals to me for some reason. Oooh, and catacombs/crypts!)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 07:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eiba :
This one turned out a little wonky,

Yeah it doesn't seem exactly spherical. But it's nice nontheless. Hey will the game have the ability to dig pits down?

[ March 30, 2007: Message edited by: Pnx ]

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 07:47:00 pm »

Oh, the possibilities for an engineer like me!

The very first traps I would set are indiana jones style ones.  Think the huge boulder rolling through the cave downhill... and many more!

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 08:38:00 pm »

I seem to be the only one so far, but I'm just gonna build my main fortress on two or three z-levels and use the other ones for defense and plumbing (so they don't get in my way).
he Dwarf Fortress Blog is now up and running, albeit ugly and empty. Do your part, and email stories, worlds, and mod files to dasuberalt@yahoo.com

I''ll put it up on the blog, and give you credit.

http://dwarffortressblog.blogspot.com/

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 08:59:00 pm »

Well I think I'm going to be putting as many of my work areas as possible on the same floor just so I can keep track of them together more easily. But for housing and overflow storage I'm definitely moving up/down. My fortresses in the new version are totally going to have dwarven apartment buildings.
Pages: [1] 2 3