Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Efficient use of clothing items  (Read 2517 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Efficient use of clothing items
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 01:21:37 pm »

I know for certain that forbidding the components of a well will prevent the dwarves from using the well. I've done it recently. That doesn't necessarily mean that forbidding a bed will prevent the dwarves from using it, but it does mean that in at least one case, forbidding the component(s) used in a building will prevent its use.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 03:11:42 pm »

I know for certain that forbidding the components of a well will prevent the dwarves from using the well. I've done it recently. That doesn't necessarily mean that forbidding a bed will prevent the dwarves from using it, but it does mean that in at least one case, forbidding the component(s) used in a building will prevent its use.

That also happens in workshops.  E.g. if you have a Loom down by the caverns for web-collection, but you only want to use it intermittently, and don't want dwarves auto-assigning Weaving jobs there, you can forbid the material that the Loom is built out of.  That makes the workshop off limits.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 03:16:24 pm »

Update: More efficient use of clothing items.

1) Buy book from caravans which teaches the worthlesness of decorum.
2) Get tons of dwarves who find maintaining decorum a silly, fumbling waste of time, from reading the book (mine was masterfully written, it converts about two thirds of my population).
3) dwarves who get the trait don't need clothes at all anymore. No bad thoughts from not having clothes (+ never anymore bad thoughts from wearing old clothes)
4) dwarves who don't get the trait can wear military uniforms to keep their private parts covered. Make sure to have them wear 'over clothing', so they still acquire wearable crafts.
5) you don't need clothes at all anymore.
(also works without the book ofcourse, just put every single last dwarf in the military and dress them in steel)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:19:20 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 08:00:06 pm »

Interesting. I didn't know that books could have such profound effects. Of course, it's pretty hit-or-miss to get such a book.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: 1 [2]