Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forehead-smacking moments  (Read 2412 times)

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Forehead-smacking moments
« on: March 29, 2007, 11:41:00 am »

My best clothesmaker gets into a strange mood and runs off to collect junk. After about five items he stops. I look through his list of wanted items:

cut gems
rough gems
wood
wood
shell
cloth
leather
blocks

Well, he's already got 2 wood, some cut emeralds, a shell, and cloth. Got leather of just about every type imaginable, so that's not it. Rough gems? Damn. Looks like I'm screwed.

This guy's already 2/3 of the way to Legendary and I don't want to lose him, so in desperation I start making blocks out of glass, metal, anything I can find (I knew I already had light and dark stone so I didn't bother with those). He won't budge. In resignation I call up the army in case he goes berserk.

Some time later I glance by the work area and find he's missing. I hadn't seen a "goes insane" message so I start looking for him. He's making a beeline for the trade depot--the caravan just left, so maybe strange mood dwarves only take trade items after the traders leave? Nope, he heads right through the depot and into the small work area beyond, ducks into a mason's workshop, and pulls out... a freshly carved set of plain rock blocks.

I had finally managed to use up my stockpile of rock blocks without realizing it, and only made more as practice to get my secondary mason up to legendary. Thereby narrowly saving the clothesmaker I had nearly doomed to insanity.

Trae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forehead-smacking moments
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 04:22:00 pm »

I recently set up a nice little trap for the caravans so that I could flood the room  to be able to take their stuff without giving them anything in return.  Or at least whatever the water doesn't wash out.

Unfortunatly, it seems that the corpses started to wash out, but got stuck right above my floodgates.  Now I can't close them and let the room drain.

So far I'm waiting for the corpses to just disintegrate and see if I can close the floodgates then.  Bones are taking forever though.

f it''s broke, fix it.
If it''s not broke, break it.

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 05:12:00 pm »

To the best of my knowledge, bones *will* take forever. Or in other words: bones won't rot indoors, only in the open.

ryak2002

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Computerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 05:13:00 pm »

isnt it easier to just trade them mounds of worthless bone/shell crafts?  I figure, i've gotta have something for my 5 useless craftsdwarves to pass the time  :p
Dwarf: Excuse me, sir.  This !!x cave spider silk tunic x!! is on fire.<BR>Store Clerk: Oh, how about half price?<BR>Dwarf: deal!

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 05:26:00 pm »

Corpses floating onto floodgates... I can relate- in my case it was a fancy elephant trap...

With enough time, effort and lava the areas can be drained, but it's still not pleasant...

Forehead smacking moment? I had my main hall lined with unicorns in cages, all linked to a lever, waiting for goblins. I also had a crowded switch-room... Now, it's not that I forgot which switch did what, but I just missed the irrigation switch that spring...

Judging by what they did to my dwarves they'd probably be pretty effective in a siege... You don't generally associate pretty unicorns with that much blood though...

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »

Why not? they are practically a horse with a built in bayonett!

Black Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 11:21:00 pm »

When I melted my second Legendary engraver as a pre-emptive move to keep her from going nuts as I smashed up her masterworks to expand some hallways, her cat managed to crawl out of the floodgate, through a magma-filled channel, and finally collapse in a flaming mass of cat on dry rock. I had to close the area off to keep anyone from stupidly trying to bury the thing and setting the whole fortress on fire - it burned steadily for a couple seasons, though fortunately I managed to keep everyone away from it until it finally disintegrated into some bones. One of my friends suggested the dwarves start using cats as torches.

Or the time that I melted my sheriff because she was trying to axe my best miner for 'violating a production order' (well, at first she'd just thrown her in jail, but then I busted her out and removed all the restraints because I decided I'd had enough of Dwarven 'Justice'). So I had the perfectly agile miner lure the plodding sheriff into a chamber, locked her inside, and flooded it with magma. To my amazement, the blazing sheriff, no doubt motivated by sheer spite, managed to wedge her iron-clad body into the floodgate before expiring. So now I have some iron stuff to extricate from the jammed mechanisms and whatever grisly remnants of the sheriff are left in there before I can close it.

What about the time I sent my expert marksdwarf out after an elephant who'd smashed one of my hunters to paste and she emptied a quiver of 40 bolts at it without hitting once? None of the other troops even showed up. I considered punishing them for their humiliating failure, but I'd seen some of them single-handedly pound elephantine foes into piles of bloody gray gore on other occasions, and decided to let them carry on with whatever they were doing.

Trae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 06:32:00 am »

Fortunatly, since I made *several* save files to make sure the trap worked, I'll just go back to just before I built it to change how I made the tunnel between the river and the trade depot.  Make it longer so that hopefully the caravan will die before they wash to the floodgate.  Or something.
f it''s broke, fix it.

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heuveltop.nl
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 08:47:00 am »

You could make the water inlet to the depot room a fortification instead of a floodgate.

"Bad smell from that airco conduit, Reg"

"Hell yeah. But the grate is clean, it must be in regular service"

"Say! Shouldn't an airco dry the air? There's a wet draft here... why is that main door closed now?"

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »

i'm pretty sure fortifications only let NATURAL floods through.

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »

I will test this and report.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »

Meh, I already tested it when I was wrong about it in another thread. It doesn't work...

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »

I am persistently stubborn  :) and indeed, you are right: a dwarfmade flood doesn't pass a fortification.

Too bad. Then, I can imagine the difference in water levels between spring flood (or any season flood) and opening a channel, because I literally live between a river and a channel. We're the Dutch! Give me a pump and I'll dry an ocean. Well, at least for the time being.

Trae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »

Well my recent idea worked.  Just went back to a time when I had only recently built the thing  and fixed it up.  Even moved a few annoying rocks out of the way.  Sadly, I was unable to flood them out.  I tried using only one floodgate to see if that even worked.  Strange that it doesn't.  So I just traded for some meat and plump helmets and let them live.... for now.
f it''s broke, fix it.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 06:10:00 am »

Figuring out that dwarves can't drink from the inside river from a bridge tile by seeing your metalsmith and her peasent girlfriend die from thirst.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"
Pages: [1] 2