Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22

Author Topic: ERRANT  (Read 24993 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: ERRANT test run in progress: Baby's first SNAFU
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2016, 03:51:20 pm »

(("Gazoo" doesn't sound offensive enough, to my ears.  It sounds like a name a character in a children's cartoon would have.  Then again, the VC were called "gooks", which doesn't sound inherently offensive either...  Looking it up, it seems most racial slurs stem from cultural or lingual traits.  We don't really know anything about the ayy's culture or language, so we don't have any real ammo to come with good slurs.))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2016, 04:43:24 pm »

((Yeah, I've also thought that if they had said something, we could have made up something from that. Too bad we haven't heard them speak (or produce sounds at all) yet.

As for cultural... well, there is this thing that Betas come in their birthday suits (and might or might not be devoid of genitals/gender differences, if X-Com is nodded to). Maybe we could cook up a racial slur based on that?))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2016, 05:24:57 pm »

((We could call them xenos that's always a classic.))
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 02:33:53 pm by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2016, 05:53:02 pm »

(( Nah, xenos is classic, of course (and works as a general term) - but as a slang name it's a bit too neutral, and doesn't have distinctive singular/plural forms. The slur in question preferably has to be derogatory and diminutive of a sort (like "Johnnies", "Fritzes", "Tommies", etc. - doesn't always follow that form, sometimes just one or other, but often the best ones do), as if one was saying "Oh, those puny bastards, they're a nasty piece of work, aren't they?".

Belittling the enemy with such names goes a long way for soldier morale, I think. ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2016, 06:12:37 pm »

((True, taunting has long been a part of war to the point where Roman slingers would inscribe insults on their projectiles.))
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2016, 07:12:48 pm »

((One alternative to Ayy Lmao that beaglerush uses for sectoids is "Gleep Gloop". We could use that. ))

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2016, 07:51:32 pm »

You lot are already so flanked. Charging one direction is the way to go, but you could be a bit more decisive about it. You also could have popped smoke to cover your maneuvers.

Take a bit of cover and Start firing a few rounds at the Greys. make sure not to hit civilians, just make sure they're suppressed.

You fire towards the front, suppressing the greys.

Get into cover to the stores in the north.

You run northwards

Finish what I started and fire at beta 5.Then get to cover in the first store to the south.

"Lmao get to cover in the stores to the south!"

You take a shot and then run south. You hit the water fountain and give it a new leak.

EDIT: Go to the southern stores for better cover and the chance to begin moving to flank.

You run south too!

Grab whatever cover I can set my gun on, switch to JHPs and try to take out 7.

You set up your machine gun and spray more civilians. You take out exactly 7 more just as you intended.

Shoot Beta 8.

"Northern one [7]!  Get it before it grabs someone!"

You shoot Beta 8. Your m14 shot passes right through the chest of a young girl and then through the chest of the alien holding her as a shield.

Got that, sir. Remrud [syvarris], I'll take up on your offer, ...later.
Patrick [Midnight Jaguar], I'll catch up with the team in a moment.

Dash into cover behind the northern store, rig the north-western service lift up with C4. A couple pounds should be enough. ((Having no OOC explosives training, I've no idea how much is needed, except that it certainly does not merit satchel charges, but a single demolition block probably won't be enough. EDIT: Thanks for some timely help!

Also, we need a derogatory slang name for aliens. Ain't no real (para)military without that kind of attitude. :P ))

You run north with Devastator.

2 Beta Greys (squad 4 beta 3, squad 1 beta 3) peek out from the south west service lift lobby and rapid fire into the ERRANT forces, cherry picking the stationary targets. In particular, the mouthy woman waving a laser pointer, whom they have identified as an officer, and the guy with the big gun.

A burst of shuriken shards hits Xaneail Swagoligin in the head. 1 projectile is wedged in the helmet. 1 penetrates and is lodged somewhere in her skull. 1 Overpenetrates, and passes through the helmet, creating an exit wound on the other side. She'll probably be brain damaged if she survives this.

Another burst hits Xaneail Swagoligin in the side. 1 round is stopped by her armor plates. The second shatters the plate and penetrates her body. The third penetrates her as well and passes through her lower lungs. She promptly collapses.

Two bursts hit Cody Hoffman in the side.  3 rounds are stopped by his armor plates, and another 3 penetrate him. Multiple organs have been torn including his heart, lungs liver, spleen, intestines and stomach. He starts leaking body fluids like a water hose, but somehow stays conscious even as he is dying.

Another Beta (squad 4 beta 1) pokes out from the north west service lift lobby and shoots Lillian Riverson in the back. 1 round shatters her back plate, and another 2 put holes through her chest. Both of her lungs collapse, and so does she.

Beta designation squad 1 beta 2 moves to intercept Nemesio Barrantes and William Cornelius Clive Muldoon, shooting at them as they hit the north store near the lift lobby. It misses, but keeps firing over their heads to suppress them.

The passenger lift rises and opens to unload a grey alien commando and another 6 beta greys. All of whom rush northwards for cover.

Casualties:

ERRANT:
Xaneail Swagoligin - brain holed critically. double chest holed. hemorrhaging in the head and chest cavities. Lungs collapsing.
Cody Hoffman - heart holed critically. chest cavity shredded.
Lillian Riverson - Chest holed, both lungs collapsing.

Aliens:

Squad 4 Beta 8: KIA

Civilians: Another 7 dead from machinegun fire. And a girl child that was being held by squad 4 beta 8 as a body shield.

The news chopper comes in for a closer look, drawn by the gunfire, big messes of blood everywhere, and the screaming. They helpfully put the whole team on live-TV.

Positions:
John Denning and Lester are still in the centre.
William Cornelius Clive Muldoon and Nemesio Barrantes have run north.
Sean Patrick made it to the south.

Xaneail Swagoligin and Cody Hoffman are casualties in the centre.
Lilian Riverson was hit trying to run south.

Updated Tac Map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:54:19 pm by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2016, 07:53:37 pm »

If not already dead, attempt to avoid dying.

And I now know to bring ten smoke grenades on either my next character or next mission if by some miracle Lillian survives.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2016, 08:06:55 pm »

Toss a grenade into the south west service lift. Burst fire at the cluster of 6 aliens. Specifically try to hit the one out in the open. Call for my fire team to throw smoke down and to bring the injured back into cover. Then, get behind some piece of cover in the store

"FUCK! WATCH THE FLANKS!

((That was a bad turn for essentially everyone but me... I think Sean might have some survivor guilt assuming he lives through this.))

((Also Twin try to crawl over to me Sean might be able save her assuming her lungs have just collapsed and haven't actually been punctured.))
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:01:13 pm by MidnightJaguar »

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2016, 08:25:55 pm »

Toss a grenade into the south east service lift. Throw another grenade at the cluster of 6 aliens to the north west. Call for my fire team to throw smoke down and to bring the injured back into cover.

"FUCK! WATCH THE FLANKS!

((That was a bad turn for essentially everyone but me... I think Sean might have some survivor guilt assuming he lives through this.))

((Also Twin try to crawl over to me Sean might be able save her assuming her lungs have just collapsed and haven't actually been punctured.))

Lungs collapse because they have been punctured. She's barely conscious, having failed an endurance roll.

Also, that's a bit of a long throw without a grenade launcher.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:32:41 pm by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2016, 08:33:14 pm »

"..."
Give up.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2016, 08:33:39 pm »

((Not arguing, but a lung can collapse even if its not punctured. If you get a hole in your chest cavity this can create an area of high pressure within your chest cavity and cause either one or both lungs to collapse. So I was just checking to get a sense of how serious her wound was.))
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:04:55 pm by MidnightJaguar »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2016, 08:49:46 pm »

"DENNING [TinFTH]!  SUPPRESS NORTH!"

Lester shouts into his comms "I'M TAKING COMMAND!  Muldoon [Dev], Barrantes [Nik], take the north lift NOW!  We're suppressing from the south--avoid our fire!  Patrick [MidJag], take cover and overwatch the SW lift!  Everyone who has usable explosives--USE THEM."

40mm HE to the southwestern elevator.  Then, check whether Denning is suppressing north--If he is, shoot a smoke, then HEs at the cluster to my northeast.  If he isn't, lay down behind cover (so I can't be shot from the northeast or east), and suppress the elevator to the north.

Edit:Just checked, and I made an error with my charsheet.  It doesn't list me as having a smoke grenade, but I did purchase a 40mm smoke.  Link to relevant post showing purchase, and also the accidental exclusion from my charsheet.

((MidJag, suppress nade SW.  SE is too far, and isn't a flank.  Cover from the guys to your north and northeast.  You should be able to go prone somewhere that none of them have LoS.))

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2016, 08:55:07 pm »

sorry, mixed up east and west in the description. It's fixed. The picture is accurate.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2016, 09:22:52 pm »

If I can still act for this turn:
Point harmful end of weapon at enemies while holding the trigger. Try to toss my explosives to someone that isn't dead. Finish dying.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22