Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22

Author Topic: ERRANT  (Read 24956 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: ERRANT test run: ER meets tactical urban combat
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2016, 05:18:50 pm »

I'm against parachuting, or at least only parachuting.  There are enemies on the roof, and we'll be extremely vulnerable to their fire while coming down, and for a little bit after landing.  Also, it won't prevent the point defense from taking out people.

I'd be okay with paradropping if the plan is modified to drop me (and anyone else who can snipe) off on a nearby skyscraper, and after infantry has been cleared from the roof, the rest of the squad can paradrop in and disable the PD.  Then, a helicopter can transport the overwatch team over.  This should minimize casualties.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2016, 05:21:31 pm »

I'm against parachuting, or at least only parachuting.  There are enemies on the roof, and we'll be extremely vulnerable to their fire while coming down, and for a little bit after landing.  Also, it won't prevent the point defense from taking out people.

I'd be okay with paradropping if the plan is modified to drop me (and anyone else who can snipe) off on a nearby skyscraper, and after infantry has been cleared from the roof, the rest of the squad can paradrop in and disable the PD.  Then, a helicopter can transport the overwatch team over.  This should minimize casualties.
That sounds sensible, provided there's a good spot with view of the roof.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2016, 07:26:47 pm »

Edited sheet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2016, 07:37:07 pm »

In this case, I support my original plan, with snipers supporting from the chopper.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2016, 07:40:20 pm »

In this case, I support my original plan, with snipers supporting from the chopper.

Wouldn't it be kind of difficult to shoot a rifle accurately from a chopper?

I myself have no experience with firearms or helicopters outside of video games and other works of fiction, but I know that a chopper will be at least somewhat shaky, and that rifles need steady hands to shoot accurately.

Aside from that, I'm good for the plan. Not that I had any others in mind.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2016, 08:11:44 pm »

Difficult, not impossible.  According to the book I have on sniping, it's sometimes done by police forces when engaging in manhunts in the wilderness, where it would be completely impractical to have people comb the woods on foot.  Also when there's shooters who already have the highest perch.  Lastly, according to the book, it's a fairly frequent military practice to have snipers in helicopters provide overwatch for fastroping infantry, though machine guns are more common in that role.

This guy was shot by a SWAT sniper in a helicopter.

Spoiler: Images (click to show/hide)

Anyway, yeah, I like Egan's original plan better now.  Doubly so when I consider that being in a helicopter means I won't get attacked by that raptor.

Edit: Zormod, you're currently slightly overbudget.  7.62 bullets cost 500$ per lot, not 350$.  Removing the fiberoptic cam would cover the discrepancy, or you could just not buy any FMJ ammo; I've got plenty to share.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2016, 08:16:32 pm »

Yeah, it's a win/win. We get covering fire, you get to not be shot at (until the ayys get out their secret blaster bomb stash.)

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2016, 08:21:09 pm »

I'll process Syvarris, then we'll get started.

In 2016, there are suppressors for everything. Yes 40mm grenades come in smoke and flash as well. Assume similar costs as the hand-thrown version.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2016, 08:43:59 pm »

All right then, sounds good!

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2016, 09:05:17 pm »

Mission 1 Plan
Abductions in progress in a generic shopping mall designed something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tactical Floor Plan:

It's basically a kill-house dressed like a shopping mall.

Alien troops are platoon strength consisting of 4 Grey Alien Commandos each leading teams of up to 8 Betas each. They also have a velociraptor. Aliens have secured entrances to the mall and are in the process of rounding up civilians (a few hundred of them) for abduction.

ERRANT has been called in to take control of the situation, rescue any civilians and neutralizing any hostiles. 

Cheat Sheet for Alien Deployment:

Alien Scout MK1 layout:

Mission 1 is ready to go. Decide on your organization, check your gear, and vote on how you want to be inserted.

To clarify on the map: the service access opens to the rear of all the stores.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:10:08 pm by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2016, 09:13:07 pm »

We ride in on a chopper, most of the team drops to the roof by rope while our sniper and gunner cover us. We secure the UFO,  and then move on to the rest of the building. If the chopper can't get a good angle on the interior of the building, those people then also drop to the roof and help clear.
I vote for this.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2016, 09:13:25 pm »

We ride in on a chopper, most of the team drops to the roof by rope while our sniper and gunner cover us. We secure the UFO,  and then move on to the rest of the building. If the chopper can't get a good angle on the interior of the building, those people then also drop to the roof and help clear.
I vote for this.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2016, 09:15:41 pm »

I vote for this.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2016, 09:17:33 pm »

I vote for this.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22