Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: ERRANT  (Read 24941 times)

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ERRANT test run: ER meets tactical urban combat
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2016, 01:52:51 pm »

So people can play both humans and aliens?

No, you're playing as ERRANT.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2016, 02:09:34 pm »

Spoiler: Purchased equips (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:20:40 pm by Zormod »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2016, 02:15:16 pm »

Psychism no longer exists, it's been replaced with Engineering.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2016, 02:23:10 pm »

Whoops.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2016, 02:34:32 pm »

Hmm. My vote for method of insertion is as follows:
We ride in on a chopper, most of the team drops to the roof by rope while our sniper and gunner cover us. We secure the UFO,  and then move on to the rest of the building. If the chopper can't get a good angle on the interior of the building, those people then also drop to the roof and help clear.

ALTERNATIVELY,  we blow the whole building to oblivion and then recover ze bodies and ze UFO from ze rubble.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:38:08 pm by Egan_BW »

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2016, 02:59:25 pm »

I only see one problem with the plan, which is that we might get shot down by the plasma cannon toting UFO on the roof.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2016, 03:01:16 pm »

Pretty sure it's both landed and doesn't have a turret, only forward-facing cannons.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2016, 03:10:06 pm »

It says a bow turret.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2016, 03:19:33 pm »

Hmm, it's also been edited to include hardpoints, which might be fitted with point-defense turrets as well.
Suppose we could also parachute onto the roof, I just want to make sure to secure the UFO first, to deny it from the enemy and so we can prevent it from being destroyed, so we can keep it for science.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2016, 03:40:22 pm »

I am in favor of the paratrooper plan.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2016, 03:43:25 pm »

In which case I suggest that our people with longer-range weapons set up on a nearby rooftop. Mo sense in taking a battle rifle into a close quarters battle.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2016, 03:46:22 pm »

As far as I'm aware, we're clearing the mall; the mall is a single building. What's the point of setting up on a nearby rooftop? Long rang units would be able to help clear the roof, and that's it.

I say we parachute onto the roof, clear it, and then go down floor-by-floor, no splitting up but staying far enough apart that a grenade can't kill us all.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:50:27 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2016, 03:53:50 pm »

Spoiler: Sniper (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cost list (click to show/hide)

Aigre, I don't think Nik's too likely to join, considering his hiatus, but I'll send him a PM anyway.  Maybe he gets emails.  Regardless:
1.Can I put a suppressor on my M26?
2.Can I make my smoke grenade a 40mm grenade instead of a hand grenade?

Yes, I'm mounting a shotgun on my shotgun.  OP says I can do it, so it'd be criminal not to.

Also, I made two notes last night, one being that we had no machine gunner, and two being that we should take the roof first.  Both seem to be addressed, so woohoo!

I think that even risking being shot by the UFO's PD weapons, taking the roof first is worth it, because it would be a *massive* tactical advantage.  Firstly, entering on the first floor means we'll have to fight two enemy squads at the same time, one of which has overwatch positions on the fourth floor, meaning they can easily rain death on us while having superior cover.  If we take the roof, we only have one squad we have to immediately deal with, and they'll likely be holed up in their UFO.  All the other squads will have to move through chokepoints which we can easily set up at (we can probably just C4 the service lifts, so we only have to watch the central lift).  Lastly, taking the roof first will maximize our chances to keep the UFO from self-destructing; Firstly, they'll be hesitant to do so because 75% of their forces are still active, and secondly, they'll simply have much less time to rig the thing.

@Zormod, the machinegunner
Firstly, it would be slightly more efficient for you to start with an initial +2 in something, preferably con, since you're the heaviest armed person in the squad.  Remember, in ER, starting with +2/+1 costs the same as starting with +1/+1/+1, but the former would cost four levelups to get normally, while the latter would cost only three levelups.  It's basically a free levelup, and you're unlikely to need science before the mission's over anyway; Egan's a dedicated scientist and has everything we'll need in that role.
Secondly, have you considered upgrading to an M240?  It's certainly not necessary for this mission, but will get you much more firepower for future missions, where we'll be dealing with energy shields.  You'd have to drop your tuffbook, but I'd be willing to share my spare 7.62 ammo with you if you do switch.

@Everyone
From what I saw, nobody has better than +1 explosives.  I think the more liberal we are with C4, the better this mission will go, but I would feel much more confident if someone else with a +2 could handle my C4.
On the same note, for everyone who has money left over and doesn't know what to spend it on, if you spend it on more explosives for those of us who can use them, I'll pay you back with the reward money we get after the mission.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2016, 04:12:41 pm »

I like twinwolf's idea.

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2016, 05:02:57 pm »

Alright, I'm cool with that plan.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22