Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22

Author Topic: ERRANT  (Read 23811 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: ERRANT test run in progress: Phocian wall of Corpses
« Reply #300 on: February 28, 2016, 03:27:58 pm »

(( Anyway... ))

I'm down to prone now, aren't I? Get down if not. Well, keep firing if I can. Briefly consider not bleeding to death. (Like, maybe some battlefield hackjob of staunching the bleeding wounds with controlled gunpowder burning (only if it'd use anything else than Med)?..)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 29, 2016, 12:52:32 am »

Hunker down in cover and try not to die.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 29, 2016, 08:09:23 am »

((I got this idea last night, and I'd like to share it. Our medic can easily get to Dev and me to patch us up if you use the closest lift to go down a level, run to passenger lift or NE service lift through the level below, and then go up a level again. No need to deal with enemy fire, no need to fear anything, just taking an unexpected shortcut.

Food for your thoughts.  ;) ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 01, 2016, 11:19:02 pm »

Continue somehow not being injured. Head down to the ground floor and examine my surroundings.

You abscond to the ground floor through the South East lift. It is empty, the aliens have all moved up to reinforce the ship. There is a police cordon outside, but none of them would be willing to move in to help you.

There may be opportunities to extract if you can get through the cordon without looking like a blood crazed belligerent.

Rayner: Overwatch the corridor I'm in with my rifle and grenade launcher.

You overwatch the south corridor.

Fire a single 40mm HE at the ayys with the human barricade, then suppress them with the M240.  I'm flanking the ones that aren't adjacent to the southern barricade, right?

(( Anyway... ))

I'm down to prone now, aren't I? Get down if not. Well, keep firing if I can. Briefly consider not bleeding to death. (Like, maybe some battlefield hackjob of staunching the bleeding wounds with controlled gunpowder burning (only if it'd use anything else than Med)?..)

[-2] for skill... you roll [2-2=0]

That's why you have one medic per fireteam. Barrantes starts wondering if he can cauterize his own wounds with a controlled explosion, and promptly blows himself up. He is KIA.

Hunker down in cover and try not to die.

You hide in a corner and continue to bleed. You endurance roll a [6], and the pain only makes you angrier.

Shooting:
Lester exchanges fire with the aliens with a 40mm HE and machinegun fire
The aliens return fire with 4 Betas and 1 commando at the south barricade.

Lester is shooting for [-2] for the barricade, [-1] for two attack actions, [+2+1] for skill. He rolls a [2] for the grenade. And a [6] for the M240. I roll a [1d50] for a 50 round long burst, and he gets 49 hits. He massacres the 5 aliens through their barricade.

The 5 aliens shoot at Lester. [+2] skill [-4 for Lester's cover] and roll: [1-2] [4-2] [1-2] [1-2] [4-2] and all miss.

Another 4 betas reposition and shoot at Lester

They get [+2] skill [-1] for moving and firing, [-4] for Lester's Cover and roll [5-3], [2-3], [1-3], [3-3] and all miss.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 01, 2016, 11:38:41 pm »

Continue my Overwatch.

"Barrantes, you idiot! You absolute fool!"

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 01, 2016, 11:48:50 pm »

Tac map, please?

Also, VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION: One alien rolled [1-3], but nothing bad happened like him shooting his buddy or himself.  Is it impossible for normal guns to critfail, or are aliens immune to critfails?

If guns cannot critfail, fire two M240 bursts at the largest groups of aliens which are not behind high cover.

Else, fire one M240 burst at the largest group of aliens behind low cover.

If no aliens are behind low cover, suppress (ONLY IF SUPPRESSION DOESN'T NEED A ROLL) whichever ones are in high cover.

Temporary orders: Shoot at any aliens in low cover with explosives.  If no aliens behind low cover, move to flank those in high cover, ensuring you don't move through alien LoS.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 01, 2016, 11:51:25 pm »

Move to cover in the next store over and throw a grenade into the barricade. Shoot any aliens that get too close with M4A4.Run down the service corridor get into the South West corridor and go down one level, then run to the north east service lift take it back up to the top grab Muldoon and bring him back down the north east lift patching him up on the lower floor.

"Would you people stop getting fucking injured! You just keep adding to the insurance paperwork I'm going to have to do when I get back to base."

((I like the roll system.))
((I appear to have vanished into the quantum flux :P))
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 02, 2016, 03:14:03 am »

Move to cover in the next store over and throw a grenade into the barricade. Shoot any aliens that get too close with M4A4.Run down the service corridor get into the South West corridor and go down one level, then run to the north east service lift take it back up to the top grab Muldoon and bring him back down the north east lift patching him up on the lower floor.

"Would you people stop getting fucking injured! You just keep adding to the insurance paperwork I'm going to have to do when I get back to base."

((I like the roll system.))
((I appear to have vanished into the quantum flux :P))

You sneak out one of the stores to the passenger lift where Muldoon is rather than go a whole round. [+1 dex] [3] The aliens are rather occupied taking machine gun fire to really notice you. You help Muldoon run back towards the North West lift.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 02, 2016, 08:42:19 am »

((Cool, I'm dead! Well... see you guys in the next round?.. Or not. Oh well.

@Aigre Honestly, I don't even. :D Does "do not use Med" work at all as a part of an action? It's fine, just... still trying to figure out how to word the actions for your style of turn processing. ))
Past Sigs

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 02, 2016, 09:53:08 am »

((Dammit, I didn't want to do that.  If nobody shot at me, I was going to try to move up to the fountain and take cover behind that.))

((That said, it's not bad orders at all.  Lets roll with it.))

Clive Muldoon:

"Thanks man, looks like we got some of them."

Keep my eyes open and follow Sean Patrick's orders about the moving and patching up.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:56:46 am by Devastator »

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 02, 2016, 05:00:37 pm »

Help Muldoon into the elevator and go down one floor. Then patch Muldoon up; use morphine if necessary.

Welcome, now try not move that arm while I'm working.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:12:19 pm by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 05, 2016, 09:12:23 pm »

Continue my Overwatch.

"Barrantes, you idiot! You absolute fool!"

You stay watching the south corridor while your friends die around you outside.

Tac map, please?

Also, VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION: One alien rolled [1-3], but nothing bad happened like him shooting his buddy or himself.  Is it impossible for normal guns to critfail, or are aliens immune to critfails?

If guns cannot critfail, fire two M240 bursts at the largest groups of aliens which are not behind high cover.

Else, fire one M240 burst at the largest group of aliens behind low cover.

If no aliens are behind low cover, suppress (ONLY IF SUPPRESSION DOESN'T NEED A ROLL) whichever ones are in high cover.

Temporary orders: Shoot at any aliens in low cover with explosives.  If no aliens behind low cover, move to flank those in high cover, ensuring you don't move through alien LoS.

((guns shouldn't fail too spectacularly. if there are friendly targets in front of you, you'll probably hit them though. Fully automatic fire does have cooking-off problems and all kinds of fun, but burst fire with a machine gun should be quite safe.))

They are all in cover. But you are close enough that you don't have to suppress. You shoot at the aliens, trying to get them through their cover with your big dirty bullets.

Help Muldoon into the elevator and go down one floor. Then patch Muldoon up; use morphine if necessary.

Welcome, now try not move that arm while I'm working.

You drag Muldoon into the elevator and try to stop his bleeding. You try and put that +2 medical skill to work and roll [1+2] You slap on some heavy bandages and apply pressure on the leaky wound. But it's still kind of leaking, though bandaged. The urge to drug Muldoon with something takes you and you put some morphine into his system... Without overdosing him. [4]

Aliens:

The mobile aliens rush Linton and the south-east lift lobby through the south corridor. There are 6 Betas, 1 commander. And about 5-7 meters of corridor.

The 5 remaining ones at the barricade go prone to minimize their exposure to machinegun fire.

Linton rolls for Intuition. [3] And doesn't react with super-soldier instincts. But sprays down the assault team with his m4a1. He rolls [6-2=5] for mind. And very calmly empties his entire clip at the gaggle of targets with a kind of zen feeling. The aliens get no dodge roll in a narrow corridor.

[1d6x30], missing on 1s. and 26 hits.

All the Betas are wounded, 4 rounds hit the commando wearing a nanofiber bodysuit. 3 penetrations... in the chest and neck. He's down. So much for banzai charges. These aliens need grenades of their own if they are going to maneuver like that.

Lester burst fires his M240 at short range at the aliens lying prone in cover. for +3 skill, +1 range, -4 cover, -2 prone. And gets [2-2, 4-2]. He misses, but gets rounds flying overhead in their general direction.

Aliens:
Flanking party mowed down by assault rifle at close range.
Barricade:4 seriously wounded. 5 Lying prone and under machine gun fire.
Reserves: 2 Betas, 1 Commando on the ship.

ERRANT:
Muldoon and Sean went one level down, north-west side to play doctor.

Lester and Linton are going full dakka in the south-east service lobby.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@Nikitian: Maybe science could be used for such an improvised experimental treatment. But patching up is generally a med roll.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 05, 2016, 09:20:13 pm »

Try to patch up Muldoon again.

"Hmmm. Let me take another look at that arm that bandage shouldn't have soaked through already.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 05, 2016, 09:27:05 pm »

Fire two 40mm HEs to a spot in the open field somewhat to the right of the ayys' barricade, positioned such that I don't need to shoot over cover, but the ayys are still within the blast radius.  If I understand the mechanics correctly, I should get a [-1] for taking two M203 shots, possibly a [-1] for aiming to optimize the blast radius, a [+1] for shooting at close range, and a [+3] for skill, leaving me with a [+2] for each roll.  If I'm wrong, but I still get at least +1 to each shot, take the shots.  If I'm wrong, but get +0 or less to each shot, use my M240 instead.

"Rayner [Azy] you okay?!  You got 'em all?  Amazing!  The last group out there is just staying hunkered down, but if you try and flank around to the right they might be able to getcha while prone.  Maybe you could try firing a grenade, but don't do it next to me--we both saw what Barrantes did.  Whatever you do, don't get in the way of my fire!"

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 06, 2016, 05:25:55 am »

((Grenade will probably hit, if the part being aimed at is not obstructed at all. If firing the m203 is all you do, there's probably no negative modifiers.))
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22