Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: ERRANT  (Read 24963 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ERRANT test run in progress: Baby's first SNAFU
« Reply #210 on: February 22, 2016, 11:44:02 am »

(Planning on flashing the north service corridor, but want to know if the door opens in a way that's beneficial to bouncing it farther down the hall.)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 22, 2016, 01:05:58 pm »

It would greatly improve our effectiveness, but reduce freedom--Radio's demon.[/b]))
Do you hear it? Its subtle siren call?
"It just makes sense," it whispers, "victory is in your grasp, you just gotta take it! What harm would a little nudge here and there do, right?"
"B-But I'm not sure if it's my place to..."
"It's only this once, you can quit it anytime." it promises. "Besides, their characters will die otherwise, and then they'll be sad as well!"
You start to feel unsure as its insidious advice sneaks up on you, wears down your mental defenses, one small concession at a time.
"And hell, this is a rather serious military sim, and the gm is on board with it. It's the most logical course of action, all things considered." it's final assault starts. "So really, it's the right thing to do."
And so, the demon claims another for its infernal legion.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:08:50 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 22, 2016, 01:17:55 pm »

((Coleman [AzyWng] doesn't know what to do. Someone else can do stuff for me, I guess.))

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 22, 2016, 01:25:07 pm »

((I would suggest shooting the aliens clumped up in the North with your grenade launcher.))
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 22, 2016, 01:32:46 pm »

((Okay, let's try it.))

Shoot the aliens at the North with my grenade launcher.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 22, 2016, 01:43:17 pm »

((@RC "But what if, instead, I gave them in-depth advice on the matters? What if I outlined the most effective choices, and then left it to them to make one, perhaps even tinker a bit with it making for a slightly less optimal choice that possibly has advantages over the regular ones? What if we made a rough list of roles to fill, but then let players find their way to fill out the billet? Certainly, some adjustments can be made, and most importantly by knowing what roles are still left out people can create their characters with better depth, lesser overlap, and more interest! There is no need to confine people's choices, with enough data they can make the good calls on their own."

These nightmarish thoughts *can* be felled, they *can* be beaten!.. ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 22, 2016, 04:17:33 pm »

((The military axiom is: Close-Combat is inherent in maneuver. The trend of avoiding, reducing and seeking to replace Close-Combat with decisive long-range munitions is known as Transformation.
It's been observed that the better your firepower, the more the enemy will try to steer you back into Close-Combat situations where you can't use it.

In ERRANT is likely that you are the insurgent forces here. Unless you want a stand-off engagement against plasma-cannons and death-rays... ))
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 22, 2016, 05:01:42 pm »

((I was joking Nik, don't worry, though suffice it to say it's not quite as straightforward as that.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 22, 2016, 05:04:12 pm »

Why is it that every time I've calmed down, I refresh this thread and there's something new which sets me off?

Aigre, I am not making an action until you respond to the bolded sentences in this post.  They're rather important, tactically.

Edit:Added a question

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 22, 2016, 05:18:51 pm »

(Planning on flashing the north service corridor, but want to know if the door opens in a way that's beneficial to bouncing it farther down the hall.)

You can't bounce a hand-thrown grenade down the entire corridor. Into the next room, yes.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 22, 2016, 06:15:22 pm »

@Dev and Nik
You don't really have any good options here.  I suggest C4ing the wall.

Anyway, here's the "Ideal team" I've been talking about.  Admittedly, it's partially based on my Xenonauts team, and entirely based on a misunderstanding of the system--I don't know how different ERRANT is from ER, so a lot of the basic assumptions here could be incorrect.  For instance, I'm assuming that the weird +1 to melee that M26s get is actually useful and uses shooting rather than melee.  This would be logical, because Aigre said melee range is "within a room", but I frequently disagree with him about what is logical and what isn't.

Also, this team's heavy reliance on nades and indiscriminate AP MG fire basically means it needs to be full of sociopaths.  I didn't think that would matter significantly, but it's still important to state.

Spoiler: Ideal Team Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ideal Team Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ideal Team Notes (click to show/hide)

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 22, 2016, 06:36:20 pm »

Alright I'm a bit confused by the tac map: what do the colors of each blip mean?

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2016, 06:43:56 pm »

Thank you.
Sprint and take cover in the southwest store.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2016, 06:55:48 pm »

Oh, you're watching this thread?  That's embarassing.  Master General is watching me flail in a poor imitation of his talents.

Pff, you think I know what I'm doing half the time? A foolish mistake seldom made twice!

But seriously, I skim it some from time to time. Seems interesting enough, but don't wanna get too involved (or the itch to start participating would get too big). All said, you guys did get into a pretty crappy situation right of the bat, so I'd say you're all holding up well enough given the circumstances.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22