Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22

Author Topic: ERRANT  (Read 24976 times)

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ERRANT test run in progress: Baby's first SNAFU
« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2016, 02:08:57 am »

I'll still process the last turn, just waiting for Nikitian's post.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2016, 02:25:11 am »

((Uh oh. All of this happened... in what, about seven hours I was away? This game certainly reminds me of ER in its very youth, dammit.  :D

Problem is, I'm running off right now and can't immediately figure out the correct way out of this SNAFU, so instead I'll just let syvarris puppet Barrantes for the next few turns (uh, 24 hours?), seeing how he's taken command anyway.

Sorry for holding off the turn. Kinda had a night's sleep here. ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2016, 04:37:05 am »

((Well, a suggested move for this particular SNAFU:
Get the folks in the centre out of the open. If you can successfully assault and secure both western elevator lobbies, you can drag Lilian to safety and treat her.
m203 the passenger lift. Suppress the glob in the north with more explosives.

The aliens are in, "stop the evil humans from capturing our ride" mode. By attacking the roof and the UFO, you are forcing them to come to you. If you had gone in from the ground floor, they might have been content to play defense-in-depth (with overlapping overwatches and crossfires). If you can secure both eastern lift lobbies, the only place they can reinforce from would be the western lobbies. The lobbies all have emergency stairwells that you can throw grenades down. Most combatants would avoid that kind of escalade if it's occupied by a grenade throwing enemy.

In an ideal first move, you could have just focused on maneuvering decisively. Pop smoke to cover your movements, then bayonet charge into one of the lift lobbies. From there you can easily suppress the one across you (m203 anything coming out of it or the passenger lift) and firefight from an advantageous position. Once you've disembarked, the tangos holding hostages in front of you are a red herring. Your flanks should be a critical concern in urban fighting. If you wanted to engage the hostage area, just chuck flashbangs at them to keep them down.

Here you've charged in two directions, and have casualties in the centre. Make the most of it.  :D   ))
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2016, 08:16:30 am »

Spoiler: Don't open this (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2016, 08:17:27 am »

Barrantes Action: Blindly throw a flashbang out, in the vauge direction of the suppressing ayys.  Blindly follow it with two smoke grenades, trying to place them where they will block LoS of the civvie crowd to Lester [syv] and Denning [TFTH].  Then follow Muldoon [Dev], wielding M14.  If his check shows the hallway as clear, rush to the elevator lobby and lob an impact frag inside.  If Muldoon sees enemies in the hallway, chuck a timed frag down it, and following the explosion lean out and open up with automatic fire on the enemy position.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2016, 08:19:50 am »

((Just going to ask, how many people actually brought Smoke grenades? Lillian was loaded down with explosives, but I didn't see any option for smoke grenades in the OP.))
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2016, 11:09:15 am »

((I'm willing to go for an easier mission.))

Anyway, shoot/apply suppressing fire to the aliens in the elevator closest to me (should be the one down near the bottom of the map).

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2016, 12:55:18 pm »

((Twin, I bought one smoke, Nik bought two.  Nobody else.  All three are being used this turn.

Azy, I forgot you existed!  I think the GM did too, considering you aren't on the map.  That makes this situation a good bit better looking.  20 sweet, sweet HE grenades...  Why dontcha fire a few?  It'll be more effective than rifle fire, and we're all probably gonna die anyway.))

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2016, 01:01:17 pm »

((Noted, and will bring at least ten for the next mission. Whether it's with this character or not.

Also, feel free to loot the grenades and other explosives off of my character. She's not using them.))
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2016, 01:11:30 pm »

((Actually, Twin, Sean might be able save your character, she might have her lung capacity cut though, it depends on how bad the holes in her lungs are.))
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2016, 01:14:12 pm »

((I'm aware of the chance. Doesn't mean the high explosives have to go to waste  :P ))
Sigtext!

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2016, 01:18:00 pm »

((Of course, this is an ER derevative, the looting goes unsaid :P))
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2016, 01:26:35 pm »

((PTW!))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2016, 03:00:26 pm »

((I am currently thinking we should probably just cut our losses and retreat.  Aigre's pretty explicitly said that we have very bad chances of winning without heavy smoke, which is compounded by the fact that three people are dead, and probably even more once this turn is over.  I suppose if we're very lucky we might be able to take the UFO and use it as our choke point, but we'd almost certainly be flanked and murdered before crossing over that far.  We stand much better chances just taking the NW elevator down to the first floor and running.  Either way, the wounded are all dead.

I suppose I can put it to a vote, though.  Who's in favor of an almost certainly glorious death in battle, and who's in favor of possibly living to fight another day?))

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 21, 2016, 03:03:02 pm »

((If you drag Lillian's body with you, I vote live to fight another day.))
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22