Poll

Which one is more violent?

DF
- 75 (96.2%)
Binding of Isaac
- 3 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: How violent is df adventure mode?  (Read 11159 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How violent is df adventure mode?
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2016, 08:54:56 pm »

The ones you see sleeping in tents, with lots of civilians among them, and no camp symbol on the map are positively not bandits. They may be invaders or refugees. That bug has been around a long time.
Ach.  Any way to tell the difference?
The best way to be certain is to ask the locals of the nearest settlement about trouble, and if they tell you about an invasion, make a note of the names. One of them will be in that camp, even if they're the only military among them. You may also get the option to ask whether anyone fled, and you can get the name of one leading them.

If the invasion is already over, they may or may not mention the invaders as troubles. You can still bring up the rumor to find out who attacked and who fled.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2016, 09:01:36 pm »

That involves a lot of work. I still recommend stabbing the potential bandit, and then asking the villagers if the person you stabbed was in fact a bandit. It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, after all.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2016, 09:11:29 pm »

That involves a lot of work. I still recommend stabbing the potential bandit, and then asking the villagers if the person you stabbed was in fact a bandit. It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, after all.
Ah bullshit, just admit you like any excuse to kill them.

We're all sociopaths here, just some of us are more bloodthirsty than others.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2016, 03:25:12 pm »

Of course not every Dwarf Fortress player is a mass murderer  ;D !

Sorry, but when I saw your post I just had to make this (can't draw so Garrys Mod instead)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2016, 04:12:15 pm »

Ah bullshit, just admit you like any excuse to kill them.

We're all sociopaths here, just some of us are more bloodthirsty than others.

Sometimes I suspect individual villagers of banditry, and apply the Stab of Truth. It's really is infallible.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2016, 05:05:26 pm »

Of course not every Dwarf Fortress player is a mass murderer  ;D !

Sorry, but when I saw your post I just had to make this (can't draw so Garrys Mod instead)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ha, it's perfect.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2016, 05:20:17 pm »

Uh, even if they are sleeping when you introduce yourself you still say the "I have nothing for you" line, don't you?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2016, 06:33:31 pm »

To find bandits in a camp with tents in a tile adjacent to a settlement is such a rare exception. In the highly unlikely event that you do, you will see the camp symbol on fast travel, and you'll have to walk through it on local tiles -- it's a dead giveaway. Also, you will find at least one awake to ask them their job and find out who sent them there.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2016, 10:21:19 am »

I'll admit I have slaughtered entire villages before. Being a game, it's kind of easy to do. Seeing as DF is a world simulator first and foremost, it would be ridiculously STUPID for it not to have the potential to be the most gruesome and gory game ever made. Humans have free will and if the game strips away your ability to completely cut apart a person piece by piece, it's just neutered from what it could be.

That still leaves it on us horrible, horrible people to decide whether we engage in that or not.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2016, 02:25:16 pm »

I haven't done it, but you can kill a someone, chop them up into little pieces,put the pieces in mugs, then feed the victim's wife the remains. I do not even know what binding of isacc is, but is it that violent?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2016, 05:00:12 pm »

I'm going out in a limb here, but I'm pretty sure Nothing is THAT violent.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2016, 05:29:20 pm »

I'm racking my brain to remember what I've played recently that is THAT violent. I don't find anything on my HD right now. Maybe it was something on Newgrounds. In fact there's quite a lot on Newgrounds that beats Binding of Isaac; they can get away with a lot more by being Patron-supported.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2016, 06:38:40 pm »

I'm racking my brain to remember what I've played recently that is THAT violent. I don't find anything on my HD right now. Maybe it was something on Newgrounds. In fact there's quite a lot on Newgrounds that beats Binding of Isaac; they can get away with a lot more by being Patron-supported.

I can think of a few games that are similarly violent although I highly doubt most of them come even close to the level of detail DF has - as well as audacity in terms of what you can do. Very few games, in fact aside from DF I can't think of any, would allow you to sever someones guts after you spilled them, and then beat them over the head with it until their head explodes or collapses into mush. 3D DF with HD graphics and great sound design I could potentially see being one of the most bloody hilarious and also disturbing games ever.

In terms of games that are really gory I can think of 3 very prominent games - Turok 2, Mortal Kombat X and Left 4 Dead 2. The former two especially since on top of having good gore effects they also have excellent sound design. Makes a lot of the gory moments rather disturbing - hell, even the ones that aren't VERY gory still are due to the sound.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2016, 07:18:48 pm »

BoI just tries to hard and falls short. It just dresses up in entrails and bodily fluids yet it still isn't as horrifying as Naughty Bear.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2016, 10:25:54 am »

I'm going out in a limb here, but I'm pretty sure Nothing is THAT violent.
Titus Andronicus?

Granted, it's a play, not a video game...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5