Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 490306 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 357 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #315 on: June 03, 2017, 06:48:34 pm »

It would be truly hilarious if you made a copy of the save and actually did loose the demons upon the surface world.

Even if, as I recall, they can't actually, you know, GO anywhere. But it'd still be pretty fun to retire the fort, then come back and fight your way to the door (And, I'd hope, the hidden door-release-lever outside)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 13, 2017, 12:01:26 pm »

PTW. This is simply awesome.
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 14, 2017, 04:13:24 pm »

Long Live Archcrystals. You are now officially in the HoL.

Glory to Sethatos, King of the HFS
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 14, 2017, 08:02:01 pm »

Hey awesome! Thanks to everyone who voted.  And thanks to Immortal Ryuken for the nomination. Currently building the glass tower on the surface while trying to get the dwarves to dodge horrible evil clouds at the same time. Mixed results so far. 8)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 14, 2017, 08:03:22 pm »

So they're dodging like pros but they're dodging off the edges of the tower and dying anyway?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 14, 2017, 08:42:54 pm »

Mostly:

"Cloud of wicked soot! Sound the civilian alarm. Get everyone inside!"

"Why is Olin walking through the jungle to the opposite entrance?"

"Sigh, someone tell Olin's 34 brothers and sisters not to touch his corpse when they bury him."

"Oh look another baby."

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 15, 2017, 05:32:59 am »

You mean we're not going to get an awesome detailed post about us breaching the surface?  Sorry I was really looking forward to that  :(

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 15, 2017, 09:42:38 am »

You mean we're not going to get an awesome detailed post about us breaching the surface?  Sorry I was really looking forward to that  :(

Heh, I did already, check the previous page. :)
I'll do more on them building on the surface soon though

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #323 on: June 16, 2017, 12:45:40 am »

Post to watch. Loving this "succession" fortress, and hope to one day get Armok Viewer to work, to view the crystal spire in glorious 3D.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

DeathShad0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 16, 2017, 03:09:11 am »

What an amazingly complex endeavor and commitment you've made here. I'll have to definitely keep an eye on this for future updates.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 16, 2017, 10:54:26 am »

Thanks for following! Currently running into a problem with trees not regrowing fast enough to make pearlash so I'm clearing out 4 complete levels below the first cavern layer and channelling them out. The plan is to drain the cavern lake/river above it into large reservoirs and then flood the bottom cleared layer using water pressure to make a gigantic underground tree farm.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 17, 2017, 01:18:31 pm »

Holy Armok.
I should have PTW a long time ago.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 17, 2017, 05:48:52 pm »

it's updated and........

TO ARMS! LET US SPREAD ACROSS THE WORLD!

ALL IN THE NAME OF ARCHCRYSTAL! TO ARMS!
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 18, 2017, 05:15:12 pm »

Well, that treefarm and huge open space is going to drop your FPS like an apple. Forbid logs before a caravan comes for emergency resources?

And every time I look at your underworld city, it is stunning. But shake my memory, who rests in these beds?

The religious devotion to lost art of artifacts....I wonder, does retire-unretire affect artifact cap? Probably not, but it's worth a thought, since it kinda messes with them.

For a dwarven pantheon you know by heart....the temples look quite alike, more like classrooms. Or indoor churches, perhaps. I thought they were citizens' barracks at first, unfortunately.

It took me a bit to realize, but...You're building/built a tower around natural waterfall, in evil husking weather. I don't think anybody has ever done the first, even without the second. Artificial waterfalls in towers? Oh, they're plentiful. Natural ones? Novel centuries-long plan. Though the river must be empty of fish by now.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 19, 2017, 10:55:10 am »

Well, that treefarm and huge open space is going to drop your FPS like an apple. Forbid logs before a caravan comes for emergency resources?

So far the fps has remained stable with 2 full layers dug out. I find with this fortress the fps killing issues are more dwarf and population related than anything else. I mean I do have a giant hole from the surface straight to hell and 140 floor, 20 block diameter constructed glass tower coming up through it. I'd say if anything killed fps more it's probably that. :)

And every time I look at your underworld city, it is stunning. But shake my memory, who rests in these beds?

Thanks! It's getting there. Those are the rented rooms for the tavern. None of the visitors ever use them because I think it has something to do with that not being able to happen with a 40.24 fort transferred to 43.05. But I still like having them.

The religious devotion to lost art of artifacts....I wonder, does retire-unretire affect artifact cap? Probably not, but it's worth a thought, since it kinda messes with them.

For a dwarven pantheon you know by heart....the temples look quite alike, more like classrooms. Or indoor churches, perhaps. I thought they were citizens' barracks at first, unfortunately.

I'd be scared to retire/unretire, because it doesn't really keep track of where the demons are so they might re appear inside the fortress. Also, I think they might lose the training on the Cave Dragons and Hydras. Not to mention all of the megabeasts we have caged could suddenly be freed.
As for the churches, those are for the main gods that most of the dwarves worship so there's some uniformity there, plus I went for utility as I want them all praying in generally the same space so I can track them more easily. The less worshiped gods like Megob of Deformity I'm going to do something more fun with.

It took me a bit to realize, but...You're building/built a tower around natural waterfall, in evil husking weather. I don't think anybody has ever done the first, even without the second. Artificial waterfalls in towers? Oh, they're plentiful. Natural ones? Novel centuries-long plan. Though the river must be empty of fish by now.

Yeah, and its pretty hard, haha. Lots of burrows and alerts help with the clouds. But also I loved the idea of the tower coming through the waterfall and digging out the river bed and reconstructing it with glass. The entrance will have ramps that lead down around the waterfall which will look pretty cool. Lots of lungfish still but not sure if they can be caught by fisherdwarves.

Getting ready now to break the dam on the second river and let the waterfall flow.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 56