Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 490230 times)

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 401 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #495 on: January 27, 2018, 11:16:05 am »

Yeah beds can only be made out of wood. Buckets can be made out of wood or metal but not glass. I suppose I could make the buckets out of zinc and then they would be the right colour.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 01, 2018, 06:53:07 am »

Those are some weird-ass names, plus they have no events pre-gen. They're definitely just made up for invasion purposes. Try checking populations before and after a siege, maybe?
To be fair,  they were all born after Arch crystal was founded.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 06, 2018, 08:38:38 am »

I guess I can best ask here, since we have a master cave dragon trainer here.
What is the population max for cave dragons? I have 61 or 62 of them now, and my breeding females have suddenly stopped laying fertilized eggs.
Did I hit the cap?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 06, 2018, 11:49:15 am »

Yeah as soon as the population reaches 50 they stop fertilizing eggs, however all of the eggs that were previously fertilized will still hatch. So for example if you had 49 Cave Dragons, but still had 26 fertilized eggs incubating you would wind up with 75 Cave Dragons. As soon as the population falls below 50, they will start fertilizing again.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 06, 2018, 08:52:01 pm »

That's all animals, not just cave dragons. It can be set in the init.

SkeleDorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 09, 2018, 08:02:38 am »

PTW, This is amazing!
No,I’m not sans....

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 03, 2018, 08:18:51 pm »

Any recent events?

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 04, 2018, 11:43:42 am »

Yeah sorry, there’s actually lots to update on including a full scale war. I just haven’t had time to finish the writing yet. I’ll update later this week.

kewlslice

• Bay Watcher
  • It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 05, 2018, 05:43:51 pm »

A full scale war? Consider me hyped.  :o

Bmobmo64

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 05, 2018, 06:32:22 pm »

I've been looking at Dwarf Fortress for a while now, thinking about trying to climb the learning curve, and then I find out about this fortress. Yeah, I'm getting into this game if this is possible. Well done so far, and good luck on future insanity endeavors, Sethatos.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 410 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #505 on: March 09, 2018, 01:16:22 pm »

The Elven War of 477

For years the elves of The Circumstantial Dune had raided Archcrystal and lied that the raiders were outsiders, criminals, or insurgents. At last Zan the King of The Dipped Spears had enough of their insolence. In 476 he commanded the Scaly Clasps to raid the elven retreat of Boltcanyons to the north east and teach the fools a lesson.

When they arrived the dwarves were unlike anything the simple tree folk had ever seen – fully armoured from head to toe in adamantine that had been forged in hell and decorated for hundreds of years. Their weapons blazed and dazzled in sunlight. The elves gathered around them like moths to flame. With a nod from his commander, Degel Rockfissures the Moral Stone of Enchantment seized the first elven noble he spotted and threw him to the ground. When he was sure he had everyone’s attention he executed the elf amid the gasps and cries of elven villagers. The dwarves of Archcrystal left without a word.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Queen Lesana of the elves was quick to declare war in her anger and gathered her armies.

In the summer of 477, the elven hordes descended on Archcrystal making their way expertly through the dense jungle. King Zan had expected a retaliation but this was no raiding party of a few dozen elves. The scouts spotted them pouring over the eastern ridge, their numbers too great to hide even in the thick jungle.

The alarm was sounded, and The Mountainous Castles and The Scaly Clasps took their positions at the north end of the glass entrance tunnel. Two reserve squads were activated as well, The Granite Touches and The Last Palisades, and sent to the front line. The elves with their war animals brazenly marched straight into the tunnel, and at halfway, the dwarves and elves charged eachother.

The dwarven line of adamantine and steel met the elven line of wood and cloth with devastating effect and the first dozen elves were quickly cut down. Giant tigers and cheetahs leaped across their corpses crashing into the dwarven wall of metal attempting to push back the line with their weight as more elves and animals pressed from behind them.  The dwarven weapons were ruthlessly efficient, hacking and slashing through animal and elf alike as the reserve squads began to join the fray. And still the enemy flowed like a river over the eastern ridge and into the tunnel. At the center of the line stood the champion of Archcrystal, Kivish Sectcudgel the Portal of Universes wielding Iton’s old sword Shamefulintense the Heavy Deterioration, slicing through enemies like a cold machine of death. The front line became a wall of piled corpses with either side having to climb over bodies and wade through severed limbs to reach their targets – and so far it was all one-sided.

At last the Cave Dragons of War were brought up to the entrance by their trainers and they charged the mounds of dead that nearly reached the ceiling of the 3 story tunnel, crashing through with their immense 400 years of size. They sent limbs and bodies flying through the air as they burst through the front line and into the terrified elvish army which was now too committed to turn around and flee. The dragons gleefully flung screaming elves from their mouths to splatter against the glass walls of the tunnel that were now stained red for almost the entire length and height. The sun shining into it gave it an eerie reddish glow, making the dwarves who resided in hell feel at home.

And still the enemy came relentlessly, the horrified elves at the front wishing to flee the carnage were being pushed from behind by the funneling mass of elvish arrogance. Blood began to pool on the flat surface of the glass tunnel, ankle deep now making the dwarves fight in a swamp of massacred fools. At last a dwarf fell, having advanced to far into the elves he got surrounded and passed out from exhaustion. An elf ripped his helmet off and finally the enemy had a victory over one of the defenders. But by now it was too late, the last squads of the invaders began to notice the odd elf fleeing in terror into the jungle, and eventually they saw the carnage inside that was near the entrance now. It didn’t take long before the rout was on. The Cave Dragons gleefully chased many of them into the jungle, batting them to the side like insects or eating them whole.

The tired, but victorious dwarves of Archcrystal collected the body of their fallen comrade and slowly made their way back inside. Hours later a dwarven caravan came to trade and they made their way to the depot without remorse or surprise.

The siege ended up being 900 elves and 500 animals which were the caps I randomly set thinking no one would send a force even close to that. I stopped taking screen shots of the invader lists because they just kept coming. The battle took about 4 hours to complete, and we lost only one dwarf. FPS was either 1 or 2 that whole time. But totally worth it.

CypherLH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 09, 2018, 02:16:29 pm »

....just...wow. That was awesome!  8)

Larger battles like this is where another Army update that allows for setting formations and whatnot would be nice at some point.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 09, 2018, 05:12:39 pm »

Almost makes me want to boot up Bastiongate again to see if I can get an equal siege.

Bmobmo64

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 10, 2018, 12:17:11 am »

Elves got what they deserved. No mere Elf can stand against Dwarven adamantine and steel!

Where did they get 900 elves and 500 animals? They must breed like rabbits to have an army like that... or they've just had 400 years.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 10, 2018, 12:22:31 am »

I'm just impressed that more dwarves didn't pass out from exhaustion and get strangled, which has usually been my experience with a smaller elite force against hordes of mooks. Then again, adamantine armour probably has much lower fatigue values then I'm used to seeing...
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 56