Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 483185 times)

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 267 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2016, 01:30:07 pm »

You'll need to mod the game to grow trees in hell, but in Bastiongate I was able to grow cave moss and convert the slade floor to sand.

I am going to irrigate a section of the slade cavern floor for farming once I get the glass water channels and wells built. So did you irrigate, wait for moss to grow, construct floor over moss, and then deconstruct, to get the sand, Flame?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2016, 02:38:04 pm »

No need to use floors. Just let dwarves walk around in hell.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2016, 05:25:18 pm »

Just a quick update, finally bringing magma down into hell:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, here is a zoomed out view of the fortress in hell.

The first floor is almost 50% complete with 4 other floors to be done afterwards which are also at various levels of completion. The bottom 3 floors of hell have a bunch of slade walls we'll have to work around.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2016, 01:20:30 pm »

Just wanted to say I love what you're doing here. PTW.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2016, 04:00:02 pm »

We just captured a Roc :)

Awesome!  Here's hoping it is A) viable and B) not the last one left on the planet, as breeding rocs is fun and very profitable (mmm, x15 multiplier...)!  Some advice, though, on megabeasts in 42.24.

Even after you train them, the mere sight of them will interrupt dwarves doing other duties and, because of vengeance, cause the dwarves nearby to bum rush the megabeast.  This usually leads to many dead dwarves and a hilarious combat log.  I have seen a dwarf catch sight of a day old roc hatchling from 20 tiles away, become interrupted, and lynch the poor thing.  I have also seen a dwarf pulled away from a Dragon-butchering job just short of the butcher shop, release the dragon to instantly interrupt multiple dwarves, and a rather warm bonfire results.  Be sure to keep any megabeast you have trained in special training rooms far from the beaten path, with many switch-backs and pet-denying doors and hatches in between.

Sadly, this interaction means even if you tame the young of your roc they will have limited uses; if you were to let them fly around the fortress unhindered, it would be a blood bath.  Trained/Tame megabeasts still make good guard animals via chains (dwarves ignore them if chained), excellent choices for a Megabeast-Bomb (and you thought 200 kittens were bad!), or simply food animals with a massive return for 20 years of investment (hello 20 million cubic cm farm animal!).

This is due to the fact dragons/rocs/etc. are historical figures, and DF takes that into account when determining who attack what/who is hostile to who/etc. It can be fixed with DFhack and a steady hand.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2016, 07:16:54 pm »

Just wanted to say I love what you're doing here. PTW.

Thanks! Still going strong just building some boring stockpile rooms. Population up to 109 now in 273rd year of the fortress. Captured 2 Rocs and 2 Hydras now, but all of them males. And yes, in order for them to wreak havoc they have to be flagged as enemies of you civ. Sometimes mega beasts can breed peacefully. I'll have a proper update when something storyline worthy happens.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 284 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2016, 12:46:18 pm »

A short update on some constructions that have taken place. I’ve finally brought water down into the fortress, after it took forever to build the clear glass aqueducts.

That means I can irrigate the slade cavern floor and move the farms down into hell.

All of the storerooms have been built, as well as more bedrooms. The king’s new chambers are in the upper left.

His new throne room below it is ready as well.

The fortress is up to 131 dwarves now, and 110 million in value.

4 couples have been producing all of the children, with the winner going to Asob so far:

Next working on the new hospital, then new kitchens, then I might update to 43.03.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2016, 03:01:15 pm »

You didn't start farming in hell by sealing the pits and flooding the entire map? Are you even a dwarf? :P

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2016, 05:21:16 pm »

Haha, nope. I'm not that crazy. I saw yours, and went with a lighter touch towards agriculture. 8)

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2016, 05:55:05 pm »

Of course her name is "boltaction." Please tell me she's a marksdwarf?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2016, 06:32:27 pm »

This is beautiful.

I'm guessing that the new work order system is the lynchpin of a lot of this? Leaving a fort to idle is a lot easier with some well-constructed work order loops.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2016, 06:34:44 pm »

24/131 !!!= 12/150

Interesting. Seems like being an adult more than doubles your chances to die, or is it that currently there is a generational wave?

Though, 4*12=48, suggesting the couples are producing at half peak capacity, or have not done so for the past dozen years.

*imagines the life and timespan involved in being the mother/father of 42 children - that is, from a personal perspective, what it'd be like to live that life myself*

That's quite some life.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2016, 09:52:40 pm »

I know, Boltaction is pretty apt. She's a hammerdwarf though.

This fort is in 40.24 before the new work orders came in. I did a lot with the old system just assigning 30 units at a time over and over.

Asob is part of generation 5, one of her children is also part of one of the other 4 couples having children. So Asob is on the older side of the baby boom. Still, it's fun to think that they all are descended from one couple at the beginning of the Fort. Although, I wonder what genetic oddities would creep up in reality.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2016, 11:47:53 pm »

Regarding work orders, you can instead use dfhack's workflow plugin, if dfhack doesn't make you crash more often. I think it also has features like "produce x masterworks" that new work orders lack.

As for genetic oddities, there isn't a good way to do it, but you can for fun track things like eye colour and recuperation. You might find that all your fort has same colour hair, for instance.

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 08, 2016, 07:43:44 pm »

This fort is simply amazing and it is every new DF players end goal to have this kind of fortress. Also with your allowing the population to increase, what is your FPS?
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 56