Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creature questions  (Read 1593 times)

SwedishLemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creature questions
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:49:59 pm »

Alright, two things.

Is it possible to create a creature that when it dies, it transforms into another creature? I'm trying to make my 'bogeyman commander' turn into a smoke creature when it dies, but I don't even know if that's possible or if a smoke creature would be unable to be killed or end up too weak.

and

How would I make a stare-based syndrome inducing attack? I'm making a basilisk who turns people into another creature that dies instantly and drops a stone statue on death, but I don't know enough about the attack system nor [SYNDROME] to go about making an activated stare rather than just a syndrome injection or something of the like.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Creature questions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 09:44:47 pm »

Both of these call for interactions.

1. Have the original creature have an interaction that it uses on its opponent. This interaction grants the opponent the ability to resurrect/animate your original creature and apply an immediate body transformation syndrome into said smoke creature.

2. There's been a couple other basilisks floating around the forums, some more advanced than the other, but yours sounds relatively simple. Just have the basilisk be able to apply a body transformation syndrome that transforms its opponents into a dummy creature that dies instantly (due to blood loss/suffocation/heat/etc) with a stone statue ITEMCORPSE.

Note.
1 works in theory, but the AI has been alot less reluctant to cast interactions in non-combat situations recently, and since by then your creature would have been dead and thus 'out-of-combat', I'm not sure whether this method'll work 100%. Have them come as a group of enemies or something.

SwedishLemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 11:33:34 pm »

Okay, thanks a ton! I didn't know about interactions til now, and using them have turned out super fun. But there's one problem.

Will the dummy creature not spawn in the normal world? And if it will, is there any way to make the creature not spawn? Basically, I want to know if it's possible for a creature to only spawn from interactions and not from worldgen.

'Cause I really don't want creatures spawning in my world just to transform, die, and leave behind a masterwork granite statue, even if they're megabeasts and only a few exist.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:43:43 pm by SwedishLemon »

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 02:27:16 am »

Creatures will only spawn in a world if a way is defined for them. Your dummy creature will not occur anywhere it is not meant to. Also, for a creature that dies instantly I recommend one that will evaporate or condense shortly after creation.

SwedishLemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 03:31:06 am »

hm. So if I just don't add any tags that make it actively do things (biomes, night creature tags, predator/vermin/megabeast tags, any type of spouse-related tag, etc), then it won't spawn?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 06:44:34 pm »

Yeeaah.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 09:01:19 am »

1. Have the original creature have an interaction that it uses on its opponent. This interaction grants the opponent the ability to resurrect/animate your original creature and apply an immediate body transformation syndrome into said smoke creature.

You could also maybe give the creature a secretion that acts like evil biome fogs for resurrecting and transforming very specifically that creature's own corpse. So when you cut them down, or whatever, their secretion will infect the corpse, resurrect it and transform it. You could hide it in a secretion that they would already reasonably have, like sweat or blood or tears or something, or you could tie it in to the smoke monster theme by making them just breathe smoke and stuff.
That way, if it works, adventurers (and I assume you're making this for adventure mode because it's Bogeymen) won't be able to cheese it accidentally or intentionally by not using the interaction.

Though do be aware that bogeymen with the associated bogeymen token will not leave a corpse, so if you're using that token then neither of these solutions can work as there won't be anything to resurrect.
You could alternatively not give the commander NOFEAR, and make it so they are likely to flee at some point. Then give them an interaction they only use while fleeing that turns them into a fearless smoke monster. They'd transform before dying, though, and there'd be no guarantee that they'd transform at all.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:03:04 am by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 08:26:53 am »

Hold it there. Secretions can't resurrect or animate stuff.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 02:04:34 pm »

If it's a bogeyman, you can make it give the resurrection/transformation interaction to the other bogeymen.  Creatures in combat should use interactions whenever possible, so they should be able to use it in the few frames before it evaporates.  As long as the adventurer doesn't save it for last, it should work...