Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Toady One Greenlight DF On Steam?

Yes
- 26 (13.4%)
No
- 145 (74.7%)
Maybe
- 23 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Should Toady One Have Dwarf Fortress Greenlighted On Steam?  (Read 9403 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:34:42 pm by Robsoie »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: Should Toady One Have Dwarf Fortress Greenlighted On Steam?
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 07:54:23 pm »

Toady spoke about this in a 2013 interview for Gamasutra (second half of page 2):

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/195148/dwarf_fortress_in_2013.php?page=2

Not sure if this is still relevant.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 12:50:18 am »

The biggest problem with putting Dwarf Fortress on Steam in its current state is that DF can't really have automatic updates. Major updates are often crashy for at least a few days and a few of the biggest ones have broken save compatability due to major overhauls.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 01:01:11 am »

Could always set up early updates as "beta" updates like what Undertale did until that was definitely stable enough.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 05:05:46 am »

Well, I would really support that. Let me explain.

I am quite used to Steam Overlay, playing games on Steam. As I play in full screen, it would be a nice addition (I do realize that it can already be done, but still), instead of alt+tab (which even managed to crash the game few times) and opening new windows on the desktop.

Then there is Steam Workshop - one click installer for mods, basically. There will be issues with compatibility, I guess, but nothing that can be fixed with small changes by Toady.

Also, server load and traffic issues. At least before the recent server migration accessing DF page on the date of major releases was a challenge, as well as enduring the dowload speeds. Same can be said about Steam itself during sales, but hey, we have an alternative.

There is also beta patches system, which has a potential in future when game will be more stable and people can sign up to test buggy dev versions and find issues before it is rolled out to general public.

Last, but not least, there are (potential) achievements, cards, badges and emoticons, or whatever they are called. And the rest of that social stuff too.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 10:44:08 am »

No one seems to be bringing this up, so again I'll mention it.

I'm pretty sure EVERY legal distributor of video games has to obey particular regulations for the country it distributes to. Steam cannot legally sell a game where there is potential mutilation of children.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 01:41:12 pm »

Shall I bring up he who shall not be named as an argument against green lighting dwarf fortress?
Because then we get into ethical implications of putting this game on steam.

The current system works well for tarn why should he put it on steam and if he does should he still use patreon and PayPal to solicit donations because valve will want a cut, I feel this is a messy issue and I don't like the idea.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 01:47:41 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 01:58:56 pm »

I think it is a really bad idea.

Besides the hardcore violence in the game, there are so many bugs and UI issues that tons of "casual" users would flood the forums and complain. Positive effect would be a greater popularity, thats it. Since Toady does not care about popularity, there is no upside to this, only downsides. Maybe an increase in donations on Patreon.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

fluffymormegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 02:09:37 pm »

Tales of Maj'Eyal, a roguelike distantly (though still just about perceptibly) derived from Angband.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 05:09:11 pm »

Shall I bring up he who shall not be named as an argument against green lighting dwarf fortress?

What, the Khazad debacle? Not sure how that's relevant.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 05:58:47 pm »

What, the Khazad debacle? Not sure how that's relevant.

I'd assume it refers to a certain infamous meatgod *hides*

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 06:09:38 pm »

Oh.

They don't keep The Sims or Skyrim off of steam despite all the horrifying mods those have. And that involved a mod as a central conceit, remember.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 07:26:30 pm »

Oh.

They don't keep The Sims or Skyrim off of steam despite all the horrifying mods those have. And that involved a mod as a central conceit, remember.

The fact that you can still strip down and beat/dismember children as a component to the vanilla game is a big issue...

On a terrible note, can you geld children?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 07:51:09 pm »

Yes.

Drathnoxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2016, 12:25:44 am »

Hahahaha no! Neither Dwarf Fortress nor the community could handle the increased publicity. In the short time I've been on this forums I've seen an awful lot of people whining about other people whining about the game. Could you imagine what it would be like if the game was sitting right there in the public eye?

Like do you have any idea how the game seems to the average outsider? It's like a brick wall trying to break through the awful interface, the tiny muddled visuals (even with texture packs), wrap your head around the textbooks worth of mechanics needed play the game, and to be able to parse the vast amounts of 'grey goo' to find the information you actually need. This game isn't even close to being in a state that is playable to the general public. Let's talk after the 20 years or so I've been told it will take until the game is nearing completion and we finally will get quality of life improvements like balance and a decent UI.

I think the responses in this thread show how out of touch a lot of the DF community is with the average consumer. Dwarf Fortress is a niche in a niche, and I don't think it would be good for anybody to have a flood of angry and confused newbies coming here and kicking over all the tables.

Changing directions. Some people are saying that the content of the game relating to child mutilation would be unacceptable, but come on, do you have any idea about the kind of crap on Steam Greenlight? There is a game called "Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015, Do You Still Shower With Your Dad"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvUdy7MkTtw
and "Pregnancy With Your Mom Simulator 2016"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=621-q98I7tA
and they are just as disturbing as the titles sound. There is absolutely NO quality control on Steam, I don't think a little text description of a child being catapulted at a giant monster and splattering into a thousand pieces is going to cross any lines here.

Edit: And also Binding of Isaac has been on Steam for years, and that has far more gruesome depictions of atrocities committed upon naked crying children than Dwarf Fortress.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:35:44 am by Drathnoxis »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4