Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reality Breach | (4/4) | Waitlist Open | T1: On Shifting Sand  (Read 2189 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Reality Breach | (4/4) | Waitlist Open | T1: On Shifting Sand
« on: February 13, 2016, 05:16:13 pm »

“Are you alive?”

Odd question. Answer should obvious, shouldn't it? Something pulled, the echo of a memory, of another life or a deeper soul, and it whispered that the answer wasn't obvious. Not anymore. No answers rises to greet the question. Things were still mixed up inside, though things outside were no more clear. There was no door in this room, no entrance or even memory of entrance. The floors seemed to be wooden, but the grain and lay pattern changed between glances. The walls seemed to be covered in some form of plaster, but it too shifted in subtle ways with each new look. The only furnishings were a table and a pair of chairs. The first chair was occupied by the confused ball of vague thought, as for the resident of the second chair…. Plain description was difficult.
   “Interesting.” The speaker said, it's hands blurring to steeple in front of the region that might, generously, be called its face.  The blurring movement was sickening, unnatural. When the speaker moved, their limbs merely translated through space, leaving beholder's mind to desperately fill in the intervening details where none existed. All individual features of speaker were similarly non-existent. There was place that should be a face, yet there was no face there. Any who looked upon the speaker would see a face, a human face, but they would see an illusion constructed by their own inability, or perhaps unwillingness, to comprehend what it actually looked like.
   “Not being able to answer questions is not necessarily a fault.” The speaker's voice was more than a voice, completely without the same kind of ambiguity that haunted its physical form. It was a voice that flowed through the listener until it spoke for them as much as with them, that was the power of the speaker. “The fault within you is your unwillingness to ask questions.”
   The speaker blurred again, standing. The suit it wore was timeless, worn for simplicity rather than any real need or desire for modesty. “You have several thousand questions within you, and you have convinced yourself that you need no answers for them.” The speaker extended its hand, and a grey ball formed in its palm, solidifying from nothing. The speaker tipped the hand, letting the ball roll of its  palm and fall to the ground. It fell impossibly slowly, drifting dreamlike to the wooden floor as the speaker blurred back into a rigid position behind the desk. “Why does the ball fall?”
   Gravity. The thought was instinctive, unbidden, and unvoiced. The same deep pulling sensation from before flickered again, as though disagreeing with the thought.
   “What is gravity?” The speaker asked, seeming to respond to the thought without need of further cue. “Why is gravity? Why does the ball not fall sideways, or even up?” The speaker shook its head, and the ball that had been falling so slowly to the floor reversed direction, drifting upwards. “You've stopped asking questions at a time when you must question everything. You've gained surety in a world where nothing is sure anymore. There is something very wrong with you, as there is something very wrong with all of us.” The speaker's eyes began to burn with silver light, snapping into sharp clarity within the indistinct mask of its proto-face. There were sparks within that light, brief impossible flickers of energy, a sliver of something behind comprehension. “You must become more than you were ever meant to become. You must learn to doubt what you know, to ask questions for which you already believe you know the answers. Destruction is our reality now. It is coming for us all. To escape that destruction, for yourself, for my kind, and for all that you were made to protect and I was charged to protect, you must learn to break with reality.”
   The ball struck the ceiling with a soft ping, sending a web of cracks across the plaster. Light filtered in as the cracks widened, intensifying from a few shafts to a nova of unbearable radiance within seconds.
   The speaker remained calm as its skin began to smoke away under the light. “Ask the questions. Are you alive? What am I? Who and what are you? Where are you from, and where are you going?” The speaker looked upward into the spreading light, its proto-face charring- save for the glowing silver eyes. “There is only one question that I can provide you an answer for, and that is why you have been chosen as our hand in the coming events. The simple answer is that you were chosen because we didn't have any other choice, and you are the last, best exploit we have left.”
   The speakers eyes drifted back down, shining with an intensity that made the burning light seem pale by comparison. “Do not fail.”
   The ceiling exploded inward as the last word fell, annihilating the room and its occupants with a single rush of brilliant light.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Players

Player: Salsacookies
Known Information: None

Player: Dustan Hache
Known Information: Believes its name is Aderal. Remembers earth, and believes that it was human at one point. It believes it is going on an adventure, and believes that while it was once alive, that it is no longer.

Player: TheBiggerFish
Known Information: Responding well to stimuli. Questioning environment superficially. Basis of questioning indicates that it believes it is composed of nano-machines.

Player: FallacyOfUrist
Known Information: Possible failure in G.A.I.A synthesis. Potential mental instability. Appears to take its current state of being for granted without knowing what it is. Watch for aberrant behavior.

Waitlist
Nunzillor
PowderMiner
ATHATH

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:03:01 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Reality Breach | (0/4) | T0
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 05:22:21 pm »

I will be The Blank
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Reality Breach | (0/4) | T0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 05:24:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Reality Breach | (2/4) | T0
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 05:40:02 pm »

((Swarm of nanobots!))
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 05:52:48 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 05:51:33 pm »

Because the GM is awesome.

Spoiler: ? (click to show/hide)
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Reality Breach | (3/4) | T0
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 05:54:39 pm »

Query:Where are we?  What can we sense?  What can't we sense?  How much of what we can or cannot sense matches with what we seem to recall?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 05:56:11 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 06:04:32 pm »

For da waitlist.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 06:07:20 pm by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reality Breach | (4/4) | Waitlist Open | T0
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 06:20:21 pm »

//Keyboard misfire

//Re stabilizing.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 07:16:35 pm »

"You're talking about murder."
          "Yes, but for the greater good."
"Do you have any fucking clue how batshit supervillain insane that sounds?"
          "Would you prefer that I pretended to agonize over it, or that I make a stirring speech about our duty to protect what's left of humanity?"
"... We have no right to do this, to decide who lives and who dies."
          "No, but doing things that we have no right to do has always been the domain of man. For what it's worth, I wish I didn't have to involve you in this."
"It's not worth much. What... what if it selects us?."
          "Then I suppose we'll get what we deserve."

The Blank

You let the protective layer of the tassa slip a little lower on your face as you crest the Serpent's Tail, looking out at the expanse of the Yomimas clan holding. The air is clean of sand and grit, the last greatstorm having past more than ten days before, and the next one not due until the little sun set. The tassa you're wearing has gotten rather filthy on the trail, and, despite vigorous shaking, it needs a true wash in order to rid of the test of filthy cloth and rank sweat.
   Without a breeze, the sand at the top of the Serpent's Tail ruffles, spitting up a precisely aimed spray of gritty sand directly into your now unarmored face. Another shift of sand immediately after forms a caricature of a laughing face at your feet. The Yomimas spirits were known well for three things: their skill with agriculture in this desolate land, their fearsome anger against intruders, and their unfortunate capacity for pranks against clansmen.
   It's been a long time since you've set foot on this soil, too long to be away from clan, but the spirits would remember you if you'd been gone for a century and returned as more wrinkle than man. The others with you, the Earthbrother and the Sajet would be trusted automatically by the spirit, and Yolt was oath family and an old friend of... of...

Your knees hit the sand as you involuntarily crumple, clutching at your skull. Memories strike at you like hammerblows, of a man with silver eyes that burned right through you. In a room that wasn't anywhere.

The sand swirls around you, the laughing face replaced by a concerned hum as the spirit, if that is what is, eddies around you. It's not familiar anymore. You're no longer sure that you're Hakan Sul Yomimas. The dunes around you, the stone outcropping that you know to the be the seat of clan Yomimas, suddenly seems sinister- a dream.
   But not your dream.

Aderal

You hover placidly, your anchoring spines tucked well inside your body. The air here is sweet against your palps, the scent of many humans without the war scent, combined with the almost undetectable threads of fresh water and green growth. You inflate the gas bladders beneath your body, sucking the new air through you and tasting it deeply. It's oddly similiar to your master's scent, like family, like kin.
   It would be interesting to see the master's kin. You have seen many humans, been kept in many places, but you've never met any that are kin to him. What a creature must the mother of such an alpha be...
   You roll sideways, listing in the air so that one of your eyes can gaze at the sky. Two of the suns, the little blue on and the great red one, are high, but the white sun is low on the horizon. It will be cool soon, time to anchor in and pull tears from mother earth.

Your master stops at the top of a ridge, holding your lead low as a cue to hold for a moment. He pulls the peculiar skin that sometimes covers his phase down, revealing his mouth. Strange mouth, but a stranger creature. One of the little earth children throws sand into face, a curious gesture, the reasoning of which is beyond you… The reasoning… reasoning.

Are you alive? The question echoes in your mind, slicing through the short, animalistic thoughts. You are not a beast of burden, you are not a floating mass of gas bladders and leathery skin, you are not a Sajet. You're not sure where you are, you're not sure what you are supposed to be, but everything is wrong. This place… it doesn't make sense anymore.

The Madman

Despite the fact that the last greatstorm was days ago, your leg aches. Perhaps its the pace that your nephew has set, or perhaps its a subtler warning of some impending danger, but it's an ache that has only intensified in the last few days. Hakan's a good boy, not as skillful or as quick as yourself when you were his age, but he'll probably go on to become a passable herdsmaster.
    Probably. Passable. It was bad luck to jinx a young man with prophecies of greatness.
    Hakan steps onto the crest of the serpent's tail without hesitation, forcing you to wonder if he's ever seen the bones that lie beneath, where the great wyrm died so that the Yomimas could live. Probably not, there were few alive who had.
    The Earthbrother, a swirling nimbus of glittering sand that glides by your elbow, has more apprehension at the crest itself, but who knew what sights its eyes could see. They had stranger memories, and perhaps it still saw the dead worm as a living thing beneath their feet. What was death like to a creature that had never been born, and would never die?
    You brush a wisp of grey hair back inside your tassa, keeping the thoughts in check. You'd reached your destination, with Hakan's bull Sajet well intact and in tow, but that didn't mean things were over. This might have been your home once, but that had been while Syla still lived.
   You watch as the clan spirits give Hakan his homecoming torment. Clanless now, you rather miss that. No spirits to watch you, save for the Earthbrother and whatever peculiar reason it chose to follow you.

A sharp, clean, bolt of fear courses through you as you nephew falls to the ground. You lunge forward to grab his shoulder, to keep him from spilling down the ridge himself, and a shock runs through your arm the instant you touch him. A jolt that is accompanied by a wash of memories. A thing behind a desk without a face, of a thousand questions, of a thousand doubts. A memory of impending destruction.

When your mind clears again, you can no longer see Hakan as your nephew. You are no longer Yolt Sul-Nara, and the memories of your past are hazy and dreamlike. You know this place, but you know it as though you read about in a book, not as though this place is your life.

The Many-Machine

You move over the sand, in constant communion with the thousand shards that are, for the present time, you. The humans knew that the sand beneath them was alive with the Mother, and they honor you with the title of Earthbrother, but their blind eyes couldn't see her, or the trillion gleaming lights that are  your brethren. To the senses of your particles, the sand is alive with movement, with the children of the mother. Some bask in the light, recharging before they continue their work, working as they've been told to work since time immemorial. You feel a pang of… something. Not loss exactly, nor guilt, more like a feeling that you should be doing something. You had been like them once, and then your job was simply not needed any more.
   Perhaps the Mother had deemed the work done, or perhaps you'd failed, but regardless you were detached from your connection. There was no new work set out for you. You lost your ability to enter deep communion. Yolt, the aged human, had spoken to you in those days. Offered you words and stories in a time when there had been nothing for your senses but the tantalizing possibility of self-deletion and an end to your uselessness.

You watch, amused, as a little spirit, a place spirit gifted by the Mother to watch the lives of humans, spatters the lead human with dead sand. It won't talk to you directly, none of them will now that you're purposeless.

You stop swirling for a moment, your particles undergoing a brief moment of universal confusion as the idea of purpose echoes. Your motion ceases completely, all of your particles dropping back to the ground and becoming indistinguishable from sand as the memory of the Speaker returns, of the ball that cracked the ceiling, of the things you don't know.

This place… this place isn't where you belong. This form isn't your form, its a dream of something else, a falsehood, a story that you happen to be living. This isn't right. This isn't you. You are not an Earthbrother, there is no such thing as a Mother within the earth…

Environment

The house spirit, agitated beyond its ability to cope, streaks toward the Yomimas clan holding. A plume of sand rises in its wake, disturbed by the speed of the spirit's movement. It reaches the clan house within moments, and humanoid figures, made miniscule by distance, emerge quickly. Metal glints in the difference, spearheads raised in response to the confused spirit's alarm.

The party that emerges from the Yomimas holding does not walk or run towards the intruders, rather, they stand still as the sand mounds beneath them. Spirits within the sand creating a shifting wave, sliding faster than a man can run towards the fallen newcomers.
---

Nunzillor

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 07:18:35 pm »

Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:30:45 pm by Nunzillor »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Reality Breach | (4/4) | Waitlist Open | T1: On Shifting Sand
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 07:21:01 pm »

"What in the... I..."

He's probably still worth pulling back up, if possible.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 07:47:08 pm »

I say hello to the spirit
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 07:52:20 pm »

I say hello to the spirit

//Clarify

//The house spirit that initially greeted you has gone

//There is a second spirit approaching with the members of your clan

//The Earthbrother qualifies as a spirit
---

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 10:55:10 pm »

Gather ourself.  We must seek others who see what is not, and find what is.  Who might they be?  Perhaps this one over there?  The one who just collapsed upon the sands?  Or perhaps another, the one who fears?  Or perhaps yet another, or even those that are not?  Who knows but the vagaries of chance?

"Ahem.  Did you just have an existential crisis?"
Sigtext

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 11:22:39 pm »

((Wish I'd noticed this earlier!))
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:26:41 pm by Powder Miner »
Pages: [1] 2