Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LIX: The Train - Game Over  (Read 62420 times)

doomchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Official Pace Car for the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LIX: The Train - Dusk begins to fall
« Reply #285 on: April 09, 2016, 02:58:35 pm »

doomchild

And as for the reason why I haven't jumped on the bandwagon, between being sick and wanting to be more sure before I vote again, I'm taking my time.

I don't see how this isn't you claiming to be mafia, snow dwarf.

You understand why this looks odd, yes?

Perhaps you'd like to explain how that's taking your time?

Poor phrasing on my part.  My intent was something along the lines of, "I haven't jumped on the bandwagon because I've been sick and I want to be sure of my own suspicions (since my previous knee-jerk voting wasn't a good idea), so I've been taking my time thinking about it and re-reading posts, but now that snow dwarf posted this, I'm confident enough to vote."
Quote from: webadict
I could care less what you are now, because what you will be is dead.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LIX: The Train - Daybreak (Day 2)
« Reply #286 on: April 09, 2016, 03:13:46 pm »

I guess I'll finish the set and ask questions of:

ATH

You've been quite reactive this game, not really asking many questions (here, the quoted part links to your first set of questions to me) and your reasons for voting snow dwarf were bare and unsupported with evidence. You even postulated that he could be town in the post you voted him!

I'm interested to know how you'll remedy these things during D2?

I'd advise the newer players to go back and read D1 with the knowledge that both snow dwarf and Persus13 are confirmed town players, so we know they had the town's interests at heart in all their interactions.

Who were they suspicious of, and who did they think we're town?

Did they have any questions to other players that went unanswered, or were not answered to your satisfaction?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 09, 2016, 03:29:26 pm »

I'd say I've been quite reactive yes but mainly because I had no idea of any leads or what to say at all really but first I guess we can try and figure out why persus went down I mean why him exactly he didn't post much and you'd think the Mafia would want to keep that around.
Snowdwarf I felt was very newbish and I felt he was very dodgy and unsure what to do but to me it just seemed he was dodging questions and persus..well he posted barely anything I have very little information to go off right now and it seems that today will be about trying to draw slip up's more then anything.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 09, 2016, 03:36:52 pm »

NK analysis is generally a road to WIFOM. The only folks who know why Persus was killed are the 2 Maf and OSG.

I can guess Persus was killed precisely because he wasn't very active (in the early- to mid-game, scum want the game in a low information state so town have a harder time narrowing things down) and didn't have suspicions beyond snow dwarf - who is dead - and doomchild. He did ask questions of the other players though, so there's still stuff to learn by going over Persus' posts.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 11, 2016, 12:17:28 am »

Elephant Parade, Gentlefish, webadict, and Silthuri have been prodded.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 11, 2016, 12:18:55 am »

Not much activity people must be quite busy?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 11, 2016, 12:32:59 am »

Weekends generally aren't very active, though given that folk are playing this to learn how the game works, you'd hope they'd post just to get a little bit of action going...

EP said it earlier guys: inactivity is a bad thing for town. In other words, a quiet town is a dead town. Let's not just hand the game to the scum by default, eh?

Would also point out to O. Wilde that weekends don't count. Prods shouldn't happen, even if it is entirely frustrating that no bastard is saying anything >:(

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 11, 2016, 12:37:24 am »

Would also point out to O. Wilde that weekends don't count. Prods shouldn't happen, even if it is entirely frustrating that no bastard is saying anything >:(
Eugh, you're right

I got it in my head that I posted the beginning of the day on Thursday night.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 11, 2016, 08:34:51 pm »

wtf am I being prodded for on a weekend?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LIX: The Train - Dusk begins to fall
« Reply #294 on: April 11, 2016, 08:38:19 pm »

webadict

I'll probably die tonight. If snow dwarf is mafia, then you'll all be in good shape tomorrow. If not, then, yeah, we'll get to have fun talking to each other in dead chat.

Hopefully, this is WIFOMy enough for the mafia to not kill me.

Not really sure what you were trying for here. Looks oddly suspicious though, considering you're not dead.

Also, I you didn't really answer this quuestion:

Your interaction with ATH (starting here and ending there - between posts 192 and 215, basically) reads rather strangely.

I mean ATH is offering up more or less the same reasoning as snow dwarf for voting someone, but goes further in that he offers some evidence. One piece of evidence, to a bunch of RVS questions (there was one real question "who do you think is scum/town?" in that list) that snow dwarf didn't answer.

How come snow dwarf draws your ire and ATH gets a free pass?
I already said why. I felt like snow dwarf was mafia, and ATH was town.

And pointing out I'm not dead is a really indirect attack. It's super passive and you're basically waiting for someone else to attack. Be direct or don't do anything.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 11, 2016, 09:44:55 pm »

wtf am I being prodded for on a weekend?
Cause the mod fucked up.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 11, 2016, 10:22:06 pm »

That's all well and good, I like being right but... this does nothing to alleviate my suspicions. These seem like "correct" answers, and they always bother me in mafia.

I'm not sure assuming anything in a game of mafia, even a BM, is a good idea. Does being new preclude someone from being scum?

I'm sorry that my honest answers felt like "correct" answers. Not that means anything. What's a "correct" answer to you, anyway? And of course not, being new doesn't preclude scum. But in BM, there are newbtells. As in, tells that may seem scum but really allude to the fact that they're a novice and don't know better.

Any effort at all into reading over EP's posts? 'cause if you say you're gonna do something, it's generally a good idea to do it. It just looks to me like you want to avoid commenting on EP's play so far. Not wanting to comment on another player doesn't come from a town viewpoint, in my opinion.

Okay, now I've had time and energy so I've looked over EP's posts. He was very broad in his scumhunting "yesterday", and his questions will help shed some light on everyone in the upcoming days. I don't think he was shitposting or activelurking at all.

I generally don't mind it when people say they're town when they're asked to provide a list of town reads (I actually loathe it, but I've seen people from n00bs to vets do it, so it's a null tell) but it's notable when they volunteer the information on their own.

Would it be fair for me to assume you read webadict as town?

I do read webadict as town. More accurately, I did "yesterday". Currently, though, he's slipping into neutral ground, not offering up much. Though considering the weekend only ended yesterday, not a lot of people have.

Webadict:
     You haven't done much scumhunting yet. Why? Isn't that the point of town?

ATH:
I'd say I've been quite reactive yes but mainly because I had no idea of any leads or what to say at all really but first I guess we can try and figure out why persus went down I mean why him exactly he didn't post much and you'd think the Mafia would want to keep that around.
Snowdwarf I felt was very newbish and I felt he was very dodgy and unsure what to do but to me it just seemed he was dodging questions and persus..well he posted barely anything I have very little information to go off right now and it seems that today will be about trying to draw slip up's more then anything.

You seem pretty quick to brush off Persus' death. Why? You're also talking about a WIFOM. They killed persus because persus was quiet but don't they want to keep quiet people around? maybe they did it to throw us off their trail but maybe they're expecting us to think that et cetera.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 11, 2016, 11:06:55 pm »

Yes that is wifom and brushing off persus's death well all we can really get from just examining his death is wifom it looks like because persus barely posted we can't get much info because few people voted them and their posts when they did post were preety barren.

doomchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Official Pace Car for the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 11, 2016, 11:11:45 pm »

I generally don't mind it when people say they're town when they're asked to provide a list of town reads (I actually loathe it, but I've seen people from n00bs to vets do it, so it's a null tell) but it's notable when they volunteer the information on their own.

I do read webadict as town. More accurately, I did "yesterday". Currently, though, he's slipping into neutral ground, not offering up much. Though considering the weekend only ended yesterday, not a lot of people have.

So which is it?  Do you find him suspicious, or don't you?

ATH:

You seem pretty quick to brush off Persus' death. Why? You're also talking about a WIFOM. They killed persus because persus was quiet but don't they want to keep quiet people around? maybe they did it to throw us off their trail but maybe they're expecting us to think that et cetera.

So your answer to someone spreading WIFOM is to...spread more WIFOM?  I don't like the look of this.
Quote from: webadict
I could care less what you are now, because what you will be is dead.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 11, 2016, 11:15:43 pm »

Hector13: I am working on a response to that giant post you directed at me, but I thought I should post something before the end of the day. You addressed two specific questions to me a second time in this post, so I'm focusing on them for now.

1. You honestly have no inkling either way (town or scum) on any other player in the game?
I don't think I ever said this. It was more that I felt I didn't have a strong enough read to answer a question about "[my] strongest read", even if some of my reads were technically "strongest" in one direction or the other. Also, again: both of my main suspicions had recently failed to pan out, one for an impossible-to-predict reason.

The game has been going for two days. Also, I have had suspects for a large portion of the last 24 hours; I just don't have any right now—Vector turned out to have just been busy, and ATH recently got much more active.

and

Who do you think is least likely to be scum in other words who do you think is town?
Other than "lol myself", nobody really reads as town to me, at the moment. There hasn't been enough activity, yet.

though

Two days isn't all that long. And again, I have (and had) inklings that some people might be town.

Telling me I might be wrong is all well and good. How am I wrong? You have town reads. Who are they? What makes you think they are town?
At the time you asked that question, I think I had a slight town read on you and Vector, with everyone else null, neutral, or worse. You had both been active and productive.

You weren't voting anyone at the end of D1. If you were doing as much scumhunting as you claim you were, I would've hoped you'd have a scumread after a week of play (alright fine, half a week what with tests) but apparently not. How did this happen?
Did you miss the part where I was mostly absent prior to the lynch? "Well, I thought you were suspicious three days ago," isn't a good reason to vote someone at lynch, even if your vote doesn't matter.

But you're not an IC, so everything you say is subject to analysis.
Did I say it wasn't? I was offering an explanation for my inflated post count, not putting myself beyond suspicion.

It was also the start of the game, a 5 day D1 (over last weekend) so... that's plenty of time for an IC to pop up eventually.
I have no doubt that one would have popped up eventually, but it might have been too late; a train could have built up, or whatever. Should I have let a new player muddle around for a few days, despite having time to help?

Considering most of your "scumhunting" was RVS questions
Uh, I'm pretty sure I had done around as much legitimate scumhunting as everyone else at that point, though I'd have to go back and check. I may have asked a few more RVS questions than everyone else, too, but—actually, no. I'm not explaining this again. Read this post.

My first really second because my first was awful BM game I was scum, and padded out my post count and town cred by helping out the newer players. It's not inconceivable that you're doing the same here.
Thing is, I wasn't trying to pad out my post count. I mean, it's not inconceivable that someone could use it as a cheap source of activity, but neither is it inconceivable that someone could help out as town.

Stuff from Sunday:

Other than your lack of scumhunting, addressed in my previous post, you also say you're attacking people, just not fully. Why are you not attacking people "fully"? What constitutes a "full" attack to you?
An attack phrased as an attack, ideally paired with a vote.

You claim that in "some of these" you're reluctant to move your vote, yet in only one are you voting someone else other than person you're "attacking". Why are you not pressuring people and then following up with more questions?
Most of my attacks hadn't panned out, IIRC.

You use probability here, which is fair enough, we are more likely to lynch town than scum at this juncture. However, you also seem to think that Snow Dwarf is town (I mean, you're framing this argument as "they might be town", right?) and you still claim you have no inkling over who might be town or scum so... I'm curious what you mean here? (This is where you say you have no town reads, in the fourth paragraph)
I had no read on snow dorf, so I considered him 7/9 town, as there were seven town players and two scum players. That's it. It wasn't a defence for him, or for anyone, but it *was* a reason why him getting lynched D1 for new player mistakes would, in all likelihood, have been a bad thing.

As an addendum, I've never seen a lurker get lynched D1, in ~10 games. It may have been different back in the day, but it's not going to happen this day. Perhaps you can tell me why lynching a lurker on D1 would be a bit pointless?
Lynching a pure, zero-posts lurker tells the town practically nothing, except maybe from who voted them. I remember it happening in my very first game, and I don't think anything was learned from it?

You also seem to think that lynching a lurker will be a mislynch (ie lynching town) too. What do you mean by that?
A "true" lurker—someone who has never posted, will probably never post, and appears not to care about the game at all—is 7/9 town. If you lynch them, there's a 7/9 chance you'll mislynch.

The answer you gave to Vector's question is also interesting. Perhaps it would be better phrased as "what content have you generated in the game so far?" which I'd quite like you to answer too.
I answered this in my response to Vector, I believe. I linked it above.

Finally, you place an imaginary vote on ATH. What do you think will come of that?
An imaginary final vote, to be exact. I was saying that, if the lynch somehow popped up right then, I'd have voted ATH.

hector13: Did I miss anything?

Answering those questions took a while. I'll try to get at least one question up before I go to bed, but I may not get around to it until tomorrow.

So which is it?  Do you find him suspicious, or don't you?

ATH:

So your answer to someone spreading WIFOM is to...spread more WIFOM?  I don't like the look of this.
Pretty sure that was an example of where WIFOM inevitably leads, not an attempt to spread it.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40